1 BAD  TOY FACTORY

SHOWWDOWN at NOON

37 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Why is it so hard for a few grown men admit the location was not ideal?

:lol:

Get triggered much when a buddy gets called out rightfully so?

That clueless guy on a quad was almost vaporized. 

I really think most can agree this was not the ideal location or time.   some have offered suggestions to help or limit the risk and that is what another thread should be for.  this thread was to post a cool video and it turns into what it has become.  This thread was started to show a video and this DISCUSSION has taken place.    I talk to a lot of members and hear this board has turned into a bash season if you post anything and then I see some of the same people doing the exact same thing in this thread and other ones.  Police yourself people.  Want a discussion about the dunes or a topic then start a new thread and have a discussion and talk and type civil to each other.  Different options and points of view are encourage, Bitching, complaining, and calling names isn't necessary.  Discus solutions to problems and listens to others views and options with a open mind.   reminds me of a conversation around a camp fire this weekend about points of view of different generations of people and how there actions seem totally out of line to some of us older gen.   

Excellent points made Sqautcher.

My initial post had additional information regarding personal preferences in Camp that was off-topic for the point I wanted to make.

Certain types of threads are not really open to discussion, per the board, the For sale section is an example. As long as folks stay civil, good discussion is worth a few ruffled feathers or hurt egos. The topic of safety for our community is worth it.

3 hours ago, bryan1 said:

It’s so neeto that some of these d**kweeds don’t even drive their own cars.  By the way if you make money off of any of theses guys your opinion doesn’t count.  

24 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

I really think most can agree this was not the ideal location or time.   some have offered suggestions to help or limit the risk and that is what another thread should be for.  this thread was to post a cool video and it turns into what it has become.  This thread was started to show a video and this DISCUSSION has taken place.    I talk to a lot of members and hear this board has turned into a bash season if you post anything and then I see some of the same people doing the exact same thing in this thread and other ones.  Police yourself people.  Want a discussion about the dunes or a topic then start a new thread and have a discussion and talk and type civil to each other.  Different options and points of view are encourage, Bitching, complaining, and calling names isn't necessary.  Discus solutions to problems and listens to others views and options with a open mind.   reminds me of a conversation around a camp fire this weekend about points of view of different generations of people and how there actions seem totally out of line to some of us older gen.   

:bag:

Looked like the guy on the quad was riding back into his camp that was right there and had no clue what was going on.

32 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Exactly.

Jeff (LRS) there is no defending that there was an extremely close call of having a(nother) death here. Kinda hard to defend. Assumed risk? 

How would you feel if you hit that guy? How would you feel if that guy was your son?

We can play the 'what if'game all day. There are lots of close calls in Glamis and not all of them are caught on film. Fortunately for this website this particular incident was on film creating fodder for the dune experts and safety police.

Bringing my son into this discussion to make your point is uncalled for. But since you did- my 14 year old son (at the time, he turned 16 yesterday) broke his back in Glamis last season. Who did I blame? No one. It was an accident. Just as if the person in the video riding the quad, age unknown, would have been the victim of an accident had the car hit him/her. But for the record my son, or daughter, would not have been riding their quad near the drags alone at anytime, day or night.

Here's a story. My son and daughter were riding in a friends Funco while duning last week and a RZR almost smashed into them. Sorry, no video footage for people here to pick apart. Had that RZR hit the Funco it would have been an accident. Had one of my children been harmed in this scenario it still would have been an accident. 

We don't go to Glamis and drive our sandrails or SxSs thinking about how 'safe' it is. We drive them on the edge of our comfort level while burning adrenaline. 

1 hour ago, L.R.S. said:

We can play the 'what if'game all day. There are lots of close calls in Glamis and not all of them are caught on film. Fortunately for this website this particular incident was on film creating fodder for the dune experts and safety police.

Bringing my son into this discussion to make your point is uncalled for. But since you did- my 14 year old son (at the time, he turned 16 yesterday) broke his back in Glamis last season. Who did I blame? No one. It was an accident. Just as if the person in the video riding the quad, age unknown, would have been the victim of an accident had the car hit him/her. But for the record my son, or daughter, would not have been riding their quad near the drags alone at anytime, day or night.

Here's a story. My son and daughter were riding in a friends Funco while duning last week and a RZR almost smashed into them. Sorry, no video footage for people here to pick apart. Had that RZR hit the Funco it would have been an accident. Had one of my children been harmed in this scenario it still would have been an accident. 

We don't go to Glamis and drive our sandrails or SxSs thinking about how 'safe' it is. We drive them on the edge of our comfort level while burning adrenaline. 

Dont forget "other forums" Ig and Fb as well.  This forum gives the opportunity to voice your opinions and not just turn in to yes men patting each other on the backs every time somebody post,  because you feel you need to just agree. That becomes boring fast, as you know. That's why you keep logging in, right?

The board has always been a place for debate the problem comes when thinned skinned egomaniacs get there feelings hurt because somebody dared to call them out or question there methods, they then resort to name calling, insults or blaming the website. That's the beauty of the internet plenty of places to shop and to be honest nobody would be missed if they made that choice.

As far as this thread, if it was not for the quad incident it would have taken a different path but, unfortunately it happened. I am assuming that the people that were involved with this have read on the forum and will continue to read the negative feed back on other platforms and hopefully learn from it and take some suggestions to make it safer next season, if they even choose to put it on again. I for one hope they do learn from it and continue it in a safest way possible.

43 minutes ago, cali kid said:

Looked like the guy on the quad was riding back into his camp that was right there and had no clue what was going on.

And, from the spacing of the few vehicles sitting on the east side of the race course, the quad riders view might have been somewhat obstructed, and that would have been exacerbated by the speeds these cars were traveling when you take into account the distance covered per second as pointed out by SANDPSYCHO. Very glad our duning community dodged a bullet this time. My crude drawing doesn't take into account any terrain slope.  

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 9.17.53 PM_edited-1.jpg

3 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

How about people they have only been to Glamis once in the past 5 years. Would their opinion count?

Not sure I’m following you here, are you saying if you don’t leave your stuff there for Months and act like you own the place then your opinion doesn’t count?  Unfortunately those that have never been there will be the ones that make the decisions.  Again to be clear.... I am not “a hater”, do not want anymore  regulations or anymore out of control enforcement.   I’m just saying lets all be respectful from driving to parking. 

I’m not going to give this any more time.  I do need to say that the spotter and radios comment I have read is a joke.  The areas in blue are left wide open with not a sole to try and stop someone from crossing.  I hardly see how this atv is to know what in the hell is going on here.  

My bottom line here is do more to show everyone respect and make sure you have done your very best to ensure everyone’s safety.  

E250D4E9-260F-4E8B-94B3-23C1A9CCBDE0.jpeg

50 minutes ago, SofaKing said:

And, from the spacing of the few vehicles sitting on the east side of the race course, the quad riders view might have been somewhat obstructed, and that would have been exacerbated by the speeds these cars were traveling when you take into account the distance covered per second as pointed out by SANDPSYCHO. Very glad our duning community dodged a bullet this time. My crude drawing doesn't take into account any terrain slope.  

Good point. It’s just crazy how that huge distance gets closed so quickly at that speed.

16 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

:bag:

Whats on  your mind Mike?

Dont get shy on us now,  lol

Edited by Permagrin

8 hours ago, Stugots said:

I was taking Miss Stugots to Vendors and had no idea it was going on until I was in the middle, thinking "why the hell did the drags start so early!"

After being waved off we got a spot and watched a couple runs at the end. Caution tape is pretty cheap. I would suggest next time running it past the length of the track on both sides, a little more planning for public safety would go along way.

The caution tape idea is a good one. Although even that might not be enough to wake up the idiot on the quad. It's not just near the pads, it's all over the dunes, in the washes, on the trails, all over Glamis - idiots on quads (especially kids) who are TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to everything around them, driving in front of everyone everywhere they go.

At some point, Darwin wins.

8 hours ago, offroader59 said:

Isn't that kinda the point of posting on a public forum? to view and discuss?

You're absolutely correct. IS also apparently doesn't know what a TROLL is, either. I've seen several members here who seem to think a troll is someone they disagree with.  :lmao: 

What a bunch of sniveling boys. 

Sounds like a bunch of Democrats

3 minutes ago, cola said:

What a bunch of sniveling boys. 

Sounds like a bunch of Democrats

It is spreading..

6 hours ago, bryan1 said:

It’s so neeto that some of these d**kweeds don’t even drive their own cars.  By the way if you make money off of any of theses guys your opinion doesn’t count.  

I actually love blackzilla. That car is so sick and I do not have a problem with horsepower wars..... I just don’t think there was enough done here.  I have watched this several times and don’t see anyone actually trying to stop that guy.  There are a lot of people that go out that are new. They don’t know and would have no idea what they were coming up on.  That doesn’t make them a dumbass.... it makes them not knowledgeable on all things glamis. When it was said that one of these cars broke 160 I said it’s just a matter of time before there is a speed limit.  

It is everyone’s responsibility to police ourselves, before someone else does. There is plenty of money in this group to take all precautions necessary to ensure that their fun doesn’t ruin another’s.  

From your post, it seems like you're one of those people who are sliding down that slippery slope. "We need more laws! Speed limits!" etc.

I hope I'm wrong. We REALLY don't need more laws or regulations or speed limits. What we really need is for people to start using their brains. Looking at it from another perspective, even a little kid should be taught to look both ways before crossing traffic. I've seen too many (quad riders especially) who get "tunnel vision" and are oblivious to ALL cross traffic, everywhere they go. Now let's say the quad rider rode right in front of a rail doing 40 mph and got a broken arm. There was less damage than if he drove in front of a car going 140 mph, but the root problem is still the same: either his friends didn't teach him everything he needs to know to be safe in Glamis, or he's just plain slow and let's just say, "situationally unaware."

If the quad rider had not passed the people trying to wave him off and nearly got hit, we'd just be marveling at how fast those cars are. 

Just think, a little video editing and we would be having a hole different discussion.

Edited by Richard H

8 hours ago, SofaKing said:

Whats the saying something about Piss Poor Planning ......

If you are going to be having this kind of event you need to do a better job preventing this kind of near miss. 

Old school is better, sand drags = 100 yards

dead stop arm drop( or in the old days hat drop) and get er done 

The second you pull off the pavement you are at risk in a NO FAULT RIDING AREA.  Just let that sink in.  This means that YOU are responsible for your own safety.  To assume that everyone around you is watching for YOU or your loved ones is a mistake.  Everything out there can kill or seriously injure you.  Witches eye, Kiddie Track, other driver, your own vehicle, RZR fire, Carbon monoxide poising, rouge drone, sobie bomb, Smudge pot, steer tire on the motor home, etc.  

You want to go 200mph great!  Do it!  Just do it in a way that without a shadow of a doubt puts no one else in harms way. You want to launch your dirt bike 3 dunes while doing a whirly bird?  Great!  Do it!  Just put the spotters in place to keep it safe.

I believe the Pont crew put this out as an aid to help people everyone LEARN from it.

Be safe out there!

9 hours ago, adam909 said:

Some strong opinions on both sides.  I believe both sides have responsibility.  Anyone crossing that area has to know vehicles run at high speed along sand highway. If they are a newbie someone in camp should be sharing with them. Someone that understands this is going to have a head on a swivel and be watching carefully. I camp at pad 3 and 5 and watch very closely coming and going, especially if you are 90 degrees cutting across sand highway. With that said these cars are going so much faster and the closing speed is incredible. On a holiday weekend right next to camps the participants have to be aware there will be more people around. I think a good suggestion was caution tape along both sides including the shut down area. This on top of the spotters.  At least give a newbie or willy nilly rider something to look at and pause. That was so close to going very bad and glad it turned out ok. 

9 hours ago, socaldmax said:

From your post, it seems like you're one of those people who are sliding down that slippery slope. "We need more laws! Speed limits!" etc.

I hope I'm wrong. We REALLY don't need more laws or regulations or speed limits. What we really need is for people to start using their brains. Looking at it from another perspective, even a little kid should be taught to look both ways before crossing traffic. I've seen too many (quad riders especially) who get "tunnel vision" and are oblivious to ALL cross traffic, everywhere they go. Now let's say the quad rider rode right in front of a rail doing 40 mph and got a broken arm. There was less damage than if he drove in front of a car going 140 mph, but the root problem is still the same: either his friends didn't teach him everything he needs to know to be safe in Glamis, or he's just plain slow and let's just say, "situationally unaware."

If the quad rider had not passed the people trying to wave him off and nearly got hit, we'd just be marveling at how fast those cars are. 

Yes you are very wrong. If you read my post here,  I have said several times that what I think is that there should have been more done to spread out and stop people from crossing. I actually said in that very post....  It is everyone’s responsibility to police ourselves, before someone else does. There is plenty of money in this group to take all precautions necessary to ensure that their fun doesn’t ruin another’s.  

I am in the middle of having a 1500 hp engine built for my car and have done hundreds of runs down the drags myself so that is not what I'm saying at all.  These guys are doing something that is slightly abnormal out there and in my opinion  just need to put more thought into beforehand.  Thats all.  

Edited by bryan1

11 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

The second you pull off the pavement you are at risk in a NO FAULT RIDING AREA.  Just let that sink in.  This means that YOU are responsible for your own safety.  To assume that everyone around you is watching for YOU or your loved ones is a mistake.  Everything out there can kill or seriously injure you.  Witches eye, Kiddie Track, other driver, your own vehicle, RZR fire, Carbon monoxide poising, rouge drone, sobie bomb, Smudge pot, steer tire on the motor home, etc.  

You want to go 200mph great!  Do it!  Just do it in a way that without a shadow of a doubt puts no one else in harms way. You want to launch your dirt bike 3 dunes while doing a whirly bird?  Great!  Do it!  Just put the spotters in place to keep it safe.

I believe the Pont crew put this out as an aid to help people everyone LEARN from it.

Be safe out there!

Are you kidding, the Pont crew is doing a public service letting everyone know  (at least the ones that swing from their nuts on instagram)  that they might be running 150 mph in an open space and we should all watch out.....  if they kill someone its going to be a shit show of law suits. Owners, drivers, builders, tuners, organizers, blm & just about everyone else remotely linked is going to get sued.  The video they posted is going to make great evidence that they are fully aware of the danger but continued to do it anyway. 

The speeds have gotten to the point where extreme caution needs to be taken. At 150 mph no one is safe, not the drivers,  spectators, flag men and especially not the people that aren't aware of what they are doing. The idea that this is the wild west and if you show up well you get what you get is insane. If the actions are negligent, and doing 150 mph in an open space in an organized drag race without proper safety measures is negligent, the people responsible will be held accountable.

If you can spend $300K+ on a car then spend a few thousand on some cones, don't let people line up on the sidelines so everyone has a clear view of the course and have a safety plan.  None of the "cool" factor is worth a human life period.