1 BAD  TOY FACTORY

SHOWWDOWN at NOON

21 minutes ago, pennywise said:

Are you kidding, the Pont crew is doing a public service letting everyone know  (at least the ones that swing from their nuts on instagram)  that they might be running 150 mph in an open space and we should all watch out.....  if they kill someone its going to be a shit show of law suits. Owners, drivers, builders, tuners, organizers, blm & just about everyone else remotely linked is going to get sued.  The video they posted is going to make great evidence that they are fully aware of the danger but continued to do it anyway. 

The speeds have gotten to the point where extreme caution needs to be taken. At 150 mph no one is safe, not the drivers,  spectators, flag men and especially not the people that aren't aware of what they are doing. The idea that this is the wild west and if you show up well you get what you get is insane. If the actions are negligent, and doing 150 mph in an open space in an organized drag race without proper safety measures is negligent, the people responsible will be held accountable.

If you can spend $300K+ on a car then spend a few thousand on some cones, don't let people line up on the sidelines so everyone has a clear view of the course and have a safety plan.  None of the "cool" factor is worth a human life period. 

I covered all your points in my post.  And to your new point Glamis IS the wild west and has been for along time.  I have a stack of Glamis Gone Wild videos I can send you to prove it.   To assume otherwise is silly.  No one goes to Glamis to drive a golf cart and hit the links.  They go to spend time with family, friends, and get that adrenaline rush.  That comes at a cost and an understanding of your suroundings.  There have been tons of deaths out there.  Yet 100k's still go every holiday weekend.

If you can tell me in all of your time going to the dunes (looks like at least 10+ years) that you have not had one single encounter that could have not ended badly then I will concede. I have had more then I can count on two hands in my 19 years going.  Some my own doing, but most others not educated on "the unspoken Glamis rules".  Each one a learning experience and something I am now better prepared for.

I was not condoning the race or actions of either side.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Most times its not on film to confirm it though.

10 hours ago, socaldmax said:

The caution tape idea is a good one. Although even that might not be enough to wake up the idiot on the quad. It's not just near the pads, it's all over the dunes, in the washes, on the trails, all over Glamis - idiots on quads (especially kids) who are TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to everything around them, driving in front of everyone everywhere they go.

At some point, Darwin wins.

'Tis a fact, kids / young adults brains are not fully developed.. That being said, have you ever had the need to cross a freeway? It's amazing how fast cars close, now more than double that speed.  I enjoy the drags the once every 2 years we make it over there, and would just hope when Darwinism steps in, it's a broken wheel, spindle or tie rod and there is nobody in the cars path because at that speed your chassis will not protect you. Whomever posted the video, if done to educate, thats impressive, but now there is precedence for these guys if there is another incident with a kid whom is not so lucky. We do not need more regulations we just need to use good old common sense. 

2 hours ago, bgchlln said:

Old school is better, sand drags = 100 yards

dead stop arm drop( or in the old days hat drop) and get er done 

That would take skill and knowledge in set up and not just money. No fun here. 

13 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

We can play the 'what if'game all day. There are lots of close calls in Glamis and not all of them are caught on film. Fortunately for this website this particular incident was on film creating fodder for the dune experts and safety police.

Bringing my son into this discussion to make your point is uncalled for. But since you did- my 14 year old son (at the time, he turned 16 yesterday) broke his back in Glamis last season. Who did I blame? No one. It was an accident. Just as if the person in the video riding the quad, age unknown, would have been the victim of an accident had the car hit him/her. But for the record my son, or daughter, would not have been riding their quad near the drags alone at anytime, day or night.

Here's a story. My son and daughter were riding in a friends Funco while duning last week and a RZR almost smashed into them. Sorry, no video footage for people here to pick apart. Had that RZR hit the Funco it would have been an accident. Had one of my children been harmed in this scenario it still would have been an accident. 

We don't go to Glamis and drive our sandrails or SxSs thinking about how 'safe' it is. We drive them on the edge of our comfort level while burning adrenaline. 

Well I certainly didn't want to make it personal, just to step back and look at it from a different standpoint. I'm not asking for speed limits and rules, just common sense. My point is......if I was driving that car, I don't think I'd be making another pass any time soon. Would you?  If he did without somebody policing their 100 mph ronout area with no spotters, I don't want him anywhere near my family.

1 hour ago, pennywise said:

Are you kidding, the Pont crew is doing a public service letting everyone know  (at least the ones that swing from their nuts on instagram)  that they might be running 150 mph in an open space and we should all watch out.....  if they kill someone its going to be a shit show of law suits. Owners, drivers, builders, tuners, organizers, blm & just about everyone else remotely linked is going to get sued.  The video they posted is going to make great evidence that they are fully aware of the danger but continued to do it anyway. 

The speeds have gotten to the point where extreme caution needs to be taken. At 150 mph no one is safe, not the drivers,  spectators, flag men and especially not the people that aren't aware of what they are doing. The idea that this is the wild west and if you show up well you get what you get is insane. If the actions are negligent, and doing 150 mph in an open space in an organized drag race without proper safety measures is negligent, the people responsible will be held accountable.

If you can spend $300K+ on a car then spend a few thousand on some private property to have your races to prove who is the fastest.

fixed it

Edited by spize909

Amazing some of the comments, many here would say the woman that was killed at the drags was an idiot and the guy in the Toyota was in the right. 

One point most seem to miss is there is no need for more government or laws. What they where doing is already illegal.  It's an organized racing event plain and simple. You can't even have a bar-b-q for customers of a business with out getting a permit but these folk don't feel the rules we have to obey apply to them. From what I have seen they don't. They could still be charge at this point and the video will make for great evidence.

One of the biggest reason this race happens is so people can stroke their egos, looks like they have some cheerleaders here. I hope you all get to camp next to them on your next trip. 

If the spotters were truly spotting when they saw this quad getting remotely close they should have radioed to the drivers to shut it down. Simply waving at the quad does nothing. Also it didn’t look like there were many people past the finish line. It could have been plotted better for sure. In my opinion the guys doing the crazy shot are responsible for themselves safe and others around them. 

whole lot of hypocrites in this thread..

What I kind of question is why post the video? Is this an ego thing? From past experiences when something is being filmed and something goes wrong, usually the video is deleted so no one can see it, no matter what the out come is. It is certainly what I would have requested out of respect for everyone involved. 

1 hour ago, r3meyer said:

I have a stack of Glamis Gone Wild videos I can send you to prove it.   

Ummmm.......i'd like to see said videos in question?  Lmao

5 minutes ago, Richard H said:

What I kind of question is why post the video? Is this an ego thing? From past experiences when something is being filmed and something goes wrong, usually the video is deleted so no one can see it, no matter what the out come is. It is certainly what I would have requested out of respect for everyone involved. 

Winner winner chicken dinner!

I feel like the animosity towards to HP wars is more of a personal issue with the people involved.  This close call video only armed you with something concrete to pin something on them.

If we're going to chastise these guys, then keep it going on down the line.  Hucking your 5k lb trophy truck off olds, doing blind double jumps around 200+ people, murdering sand hwy,  racing through the dunes WFO 2-3 cars wide,  the list goes on.. 

Lil Jonny on his quad can't navigate these situations any easier.

Maybe some of you that are so upset by this can offer some help? Maybe bring some cones, park your cars at the end and flag.. etc

Drag racing IS Glamis, don't make it go away.

On a side note...The drone footage is awesome!

I love when they (when I say they, anyone who films with drones) follow on dune runs!

Let's see some more of that.

Wow I've been on this forum  for almost 15 years I've seen the good the bad and the other... seems like alot of negativity every time I come on here now used to be alot of good information some of my best friends in life I met from this site  ....now it's just lots of bitching and complaining and definitely alot of hypocrites.... I personally dont care if you have a 300k sand car or 1600 cc Volkswagen if your my friend I will help you the best I can . There is alot of hate for some reason for people that have nicer things ....talk to them there not all bad ....there are ahole that have a tent and ahole who drive 750k prevost .....that the world we live in . Unfortunately some one can get hurt or worse killed by a 30 mph vehicle or 150 mph  vehicle .....let's help each other instead of bash .... I could sit here and talk shit about all the people on here that save spots are on every dune ride they shotgun a couple beers but I dont ....come on people let's work together not against each other do we really want more laws in the dunes ? 

Showed this video to my 8 year old twins as a lesson on how fast things happen.

We always preach  to them that they need to watch out for themselves and that they are basically invisible to everyone.

25 minutes ago, Kevin said:

whole lot of hypocrites in this thread..

we are all hypocrites in one way or another...……..no argument there.

My buddy had a close call just like this a few years ago... and he was only doing about 85MPH.  So what speed limit would you guys like set for the drags?  Because that is pretty much what you are indirectly asking for.

Do I think it was a great idea to do this on a big weekend? NO... If I were one of these guys, I just would not want the possible liability that comes with it.  But we all know the story... you can't set up cones... you can't use caution tape... because the BLM will not allow a "sanctioned event" ....HP wars doesn't really seem like an organized even to me? It is some friends / guys that want to drag race for bragging rights... which is pretty much what the drags have always been.

I did not read all 5 pages of keyboard experts but I will say alot of not nice things are being said about these folks that you don't personally know. Seems like alot of negative coments about people that would give you the shirt off their backs to help fellow duners. I camped with these people last weekend and I assure you safety and helping duners is at the very top of their minds. Not a show off thing - simply the same thing been happening for decades - build the fastest cars you can and enjoy them. 

Everyone should be aware of that whole finger pointing thing because theres 3 more pointing right back. 

34 minutes ago, Supreme Air said:

Wow I've been on this forum  for almost 15 years I've seen the good the bad and the other... seems like alot of negativity every time I come on here now used to be alot of good information some of my best friends in life I met from this site  ....now it's just lots of bitching and complaining and definitely alot of hypocrites.... I personally dont care if you have a 300k sand car or 1600 cc Volkswagen if your my friend I will help you the best I can . There is alot of hate for some reason for people that have nicer things ....talk to them there not all bad ....there are ahole that have a tent and ahole who drive 750k prevost .....that the world we live in . Unfortunately some one can get hurt or worse killed by a 30 mph vehicle or 150 mph  vehicle .....let's help each other instead of bash .... I could sit here and talk shit about all the people on here that save spots are on every dune ride they shotgun a couple beers but I dont ....come on people let's work together not against each other do we really want more laws in the dunes ? 

Amen...now I gotta go get loaded up to head back to the dunes 

9 minutes ago, QueenGlamis said:

Everyone should be aware of that whole finger pointing thing because theres 3 more pointing right back. 

I entertain myself I just checked that out. It’s true. 

26 minutes ago, QueenGlamis said:

I did not read all 5 pages of keyboard experts but I will say alot of not nice things are being said about these folks that you don't personally know. Seems like alot of negative coments about people that would give you the shirt off their backs to help fellow duners. I camped with these people last weekend and I assure you safety and helping duners is at the very top of their minds. Not a show off thing - simply the same thing been happening for decades - build the fastest cars you can and enjoy them. 

Obviously you didn't read the rules, unless you read all 5 pages yore comments don't count... 

:sarcasm:

15 minutes ago, WLD-OTZ said:

Obviously you didn't read the rules, unless you read all 5 pages yore comments don't count... 

:sarcasm:

I didn't have enough tissues to hand out to all the whiners so I stopped about top of page 2. :dunno:

Sad that gd.com used to be THE place to send people that are new, looking for info, meet cool duners etc. Now just based on the web portion of it - I see why people say they checked it out and its so negative when  I suggest it to them. What a bummer. 

1 minute ago, QueenGlamis said:

Sad that gd.com used to be THE place to send people that are new, looking for info, meet cool duners etc. Now just based on the web portion of it - I see why people say they checked it out and its so negative when  I suggest it to them. What a bummer. 

Spare me..

This place still is the best of the best. Sure, I can go to other places where they are nice and everyone sucks each other arse, but I can only last a day before I want to vomit in my mouth.

You get the good and the bad here, wrong and right. It's colorful like our dunes..

Disappointed you don't stand up for GD and try and make it better. You've been personally helped here MANY, MANY times.

9 minutes ago, QueenGlamis said:

I didn't have enough tissues to hand out to all the whiners so I stopped about top of page 2. :dunno:

OMG!!! Yore such a quitter! :valleygirlvoiceoff:

23 hours ago, Fireman said:

I see both sides of this argument for sure..  But there were no rules broken. They were more than 50 feet from any camp ,there were spotters and there is no speed limit. Where would like to see this race happen???   Any where you go in Glamis that this race can happen there will be people. Was the the guy on the quad at fault....Nope he has the right to ride there just as the buggy's do. But it did seem as the quad rider did not even look crossing an area that traffic usually goes the other way. So I say If you want to race get after it Just be careful and do what you can to avoid incident.

No rules broken except the drone at 25,000 per occurrence.