Jump to content
jaybird95

The New Honda Talon!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Probably will be a thread 100 pages long about how to make more power and posts on how to beef up parts to take it. :bigrin 

and another 20 pages of how to shift it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 9:50 PM, bryan1 said:

I could be wrong but I believe Honda was the first to turbo a lake lice (aka jet ski)

They joined the watercraft came long after boosted models were available.  The got into a saturated market and offered nothing new or exciting.  They lasted 2-3 years in the market and gave up.  

The Talon offers something a little different in the sport market, but they would have generated way more buzz if it had come in around 120hp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

You're right.  YXZ1000R Forums only have 3200 posts on it. :bigrin 

 Why are X3 owners so touchy about their side by sides ?..... A typical upcoming excuse from X3 owners will be...... “” there are a lot more X3’s out there so of course there will be more problems and upgrades to do”” :bigrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RK Racing said:

 Why are X3 owners so touchy about their side by sides ?..... A typical upcoming excuse from X3 owners will be...... “” there are a lot more X3’s out there so of course there will be more problems and upgrades to do”” :bigrin

LOL!  I've made no such statement and don't intend to.  Click the wrong button or something? :bigrin 

Fact is: this thing falls short in the performance department, which is a major problem in the Sport SxS segment it intends to compete in.  Sure, it's a Honda, so it'll probably be stupid reliable, but that's about the only thing going for it, and it's obvious they traded performance for reliability.  It's effectively the Toyota Camry of the Dunes.  At least it doesn't have turn signals to leave on for 10 miles in the fast lane, though the 70mph top speed isn't too far from the average of 60mph a Camry does in the fast lane. :bigrin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

 Why are X3 owners so touchy about their side by sides ?..... A typical upcoming excuse from X3 owners will be...... “” there are a lot more X3’s out there so of course there will be more problems and upgrades to do”” :bigrin

LMAO!  Actually until a bunch of RZR people made the switch there were barely any complaints.  The Can Am die hards stuck their head in the sand and never talked about anything with the original Maverick.  Can Am quality control has gone in the shitter too.    

My biggest gripe with my X3 is the crappy power steering unit they put on the 2018 models.   They have since fixed the issue by putting a more powerful unit on the 2019 models.    I still would not trade my X3 RS for any other offering on the market right now.  I enjoyed my XP1000, but the X3 is a much better driving experience and it handles so well in the dunes and hauling ass across the desert. 

I drove my friend' s 4 seat Turbo S and the Polaris does not have the punch the X3 provides.  Nice car and the suspension is really nice.    Going to drive it in the dunes next week to see how it does.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good for a first year model. Give it some time, maybe next year they'll have a turbo model.

They are claiming 20 inches of rear travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m game, and when I go sxs, I’ll go Honda.  Born and raised Honda, from the MR50 on up.  I still think my 400ex I had, with +2 a arms and +2 axle was the best handling machine in the dunes, and bullet proof.  Any Honda I’ve owned has handled better than any other brand I’ve owned, and handling is the most important to me, and that goes for 2, 3, and 4 wheels.  I do love my Yamaha 450r, but it doesnt handle like my  old TRX I sold.  Big mistake getting rid of that.  I may repossess it.   

If it has the typical top notch handling like a true Honda, I’m in.  We shall see.  Plus, it’s red, how cool is that.  :bigrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what is great about Hondas, they run.   They are never leading the pack with innovation, but the suckers always run and are much cheaper to fix than most other options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sndsamplr said:

I’m game, and when I go sxs, I’ll go Honda.  Born and raised Honda, from the MR50 on up.  I still think my 400ex I had, with +2 a arms and +2 axle was the best handling machine in the dunes, and bullet proof.  Any Honda I’ve owned has handled better than any other brand I’ve owned, and handling is the most important to me, and that goes for 2, 3, and 4 wheels.  I do love my Yamaha 450r, but it doesnt handle like my  old TRX I sold.  Big mistake getting rid of that.  I may repossess it.   

If it has the typical top notch handling like a true Honda, I’m in.  We shall see.  Plus, it’s red, how cool is that.  :bigrin

My son loves my TRX400EX, might be time for +2 and +2 just like you had....they just run and run...

I look fwd to seeing the Talon,  woul be a nice upgrade from my Rhino... :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thing seems to fill a nice segment of the market. How many times have you had to stop on a ride because someone broke a belt? it sucks. Now, how many times have you had to stop multiple times on a ride because multiple belts broke? right off the bat, it has its selling point. Honda hasnt been on the cutting edge of performance for so long, its practically a given that they will never be again. What they do build, is stupid reliable vehicles that just plain work, and work well. They handle well right out of the box. It will be fast enough, to have a good time in. People complaining about 10hp, or 20 hp, sound like nit pickers. if hp was REALLY the main selling point, you wouldnt be in a SXS in the first place. Old VW rails were making more hp than these things. The Honda looks cool enough, is fast enough, and as long as the reliability is there, it will sell. Then you can slap an exhaust, a wrap, and a metric shit ton of LEDs on it, and most people still think its a RZR anyway...

Edited by McGruff38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 4:34 PM, CarWashGuru said:

Just watched the video on Honda's website. I am pretty impressed with it, especially the transmission. Looks like a fun ride.

http://powersports.honda.com/talon.aspx

This is a cool vid. Love the old country music.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, McGruff38 said:

This thing seems to fill a nice segment of the market. How many times have you had to stop on a ride because someone broke a belt? it sucks. Now, how many times have you had to stop multiple times on a ride because multiple belts broke? right off the bat, it has its selling point. Honda hasnt been on the cutting edge of performance for so long, its practically a given that they will never be again. What they do build, is stupid reliable vehicles that just plain work, and work well. They handle well right out of the box. It will be fast enough, to have a good time in. People complaining about 10hp, or 20 hp, sound like nit pickers. if hp was REALLY the main selling point, you wouldnt be in a SXS in the first place. Old VW rails were making more hp than these things. The Honda looks cool enough, is fast enough, and as long as the reliability is there, it will sell. Then you can slap an exhaust, a wrap, and a metric shit ton of LEDs on it, and most people wont be able to tell its not a RZR anyway...

I will probably get one next summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan... I think it's not strong enough... I'm sure I'd bust this thing in 1/2.

Motorcycle powered without a CVT is a mistake in SXS's as proven by the crappy Yamaha SXS IMO.  The main problem is at low RPMs they're garbage...

I'll stick to changing rubber bands for now. Would buy an X3 if I was to start fresh.

I actually might have both my XP and an X3 (I know,.. Mr. SXS hater.. LOL)... No reason to take a bath on trying to sell the XP. .. plus I finally have it dialed in.

My $.02

 

abc

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

Not a fan... I think it's not strong enough... I'm sure I'd bust this thing in 1/2.

Motorcycle powered without a CVT is a mistake in SXS's as proven by the crappy Yamaha SXS IMO.  The main problem is at low RPMs they're garbage...

I'll stick to changing rubber bands for now. Would buy an X3 if I was to start fresh.

I actually might have both my XP and an X3 (I know,.. Mr. SXS hater.. LOL)... No reason to take a bath on trying to sell the XP. .. plus I finally have it dialed in.

My $.02

 

abc

A lot of the Yamaha problem is in the gearing.  Hopefully Honda learned from Yamaha, who made 1st gear represent 45% of the vehicle's top speed (80mph top speed, 37mph in 1st) despite having 5 ratios to choose from.  It's even worse when you upgrade from its puny 27" tires.  Short gearing kits are basically a necessity for that thing.  

78026d1484268793-gear-reduction-speed-ch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope Honda figured  out the DCT set up for this sport SXS.  The Honda Pioneer was having clutch issues when the general public got a hold of them.  

The car has potential and I think it is a better set up than the Yamaha suspension wise.     I am curious to see how the automatic mode is going to work in the sand, if yo don't want to use the paddle shifter.  

Honda has sold a lot of those Pioneers as I saw a recall notice for 65,000 of them for a fire hazard issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

My son loves my TRX400EX, might be time for +2 and +2 just like you had....they just run and run...

I look fwd to seeing the Talon,  woul be a nice upgrade from my Rhino... :lol:

Ditto...

I also like the new Yamaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dbart said:

Ditto...

I also like the new Yamaha.

I knew you had good taste in SxS’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RK Racing said:

I knew you had good taste in SxS’s.

:cheers:

I get a lot of crap for having a Rhino, but that thing runs.

Yeah, I have had some qwirks with it that I have gotten fixed, mostly was electrical stuff, broke a shock, cv boot ripped...you know stuff like that.

But it runs great and is built really well.

I'd be really interested in going for a ride in the new yamaha or even taking one for a spin. Not until I'm ready to get something new though.

I could care less about having 170HP really...we mostly do trails (95%) of the time anyways, having a whopping 35-ish hp right now..anything above would seem awesome!

:lmao:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dbart said:

Ditto...

I also like the new Yamaha.

You can pick up a new 2018 YXZ for under $18K.  I saw an add from Bert's the other day and I want to say they had them as low as $15,000.   I think the Honda will be a better set up than the Yamaha.  The suspension on the Talon looks to be set up much better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sand Shark said:

You can pick up a new 2018 YXZ for under $18K.  I saw an add from Bert's the other day and I want to say they had them as low as $15,000.   I think the Honda will be a better set up than the Yamaha.  The suspension on the Talon looks to be set up much better.  

It will be interesting what they will sell for!

I'm a Honda fan as well!

My 2002 CRF-450R was one of my favorite bikes I have owned, plus it was street legal. :oto: 

That thing ran awesome. When I bought it, it had a jetting issue that I figured out...after that...killer bike!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dbart said:

It will be interesting what they will sell for!

I'm a Honda fan as well!

My 2002 CRF-450R was one of my favorite bikes I have owned, plus it was street legal. :oto: 

That thing ran awesome. When I bought it, it had a jetting issue that I figured out...after that...killer bike!

 

I am guessing the Honda Talon 1000R will be around $21,000 MSRP.   The Honda motors run and run and run.   Most of the current crop of SXSs the motors run and run and run.

My only concern with the Honda is the DCT set up and how it will do.  The Honda Pioneer had people burning up the clutches in the DCT when it first came out.  I believe they address the issue in 2018 models.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Remember that 172 hp on the Can-Am is behind the engine in a laboratory ......  when our Yamaha just had a pipe and a new computer box it pulled away from the Can-Am’s every single time.  Now that I put a turbo on it like a can am has stock it is most definitely Fast!  It is nice to have that extra power to use everywhere in the dunes and not just at the dragstrip 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sand Shark said:

You can pick up a new 2018 YXZ for under $18K.  I saw an add from Bert's the other day and I want to say they had them as low as $15,000.   I think the Honda will be a better set up than the Yamaha.  The suspension on the Talon looks to be set up much better.  

There is a dealer here in AZ selling left over white/blue YXZ's for $13,900 plus ttl.  One of my friends recently bought one and iirc it was under 15k otd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

 Remember that 172 hp on the Can-Am is behind the engine in a laboratory ......  when our Yamaha just had a pipe and a new computer box it pulled away from the Can-Am’s every single time.  Now that I put a turbo on it like a can am has stock it is most definitely Fast!  It is nice to have that extra power to use everywhere in the dunes and not just at the dragstrip 

The Yamaha with a turbo is fun as long as the set up is reliable and tinker free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbart said:

:cheers:

I get a lot of crap for having a Rhino, but that thing runs.

Yeah, I have had some qwirks with it that I have gotten fixed, mostly was electrical stuff, broke a shock, cv boot ripped...you know stuff like that.

But it runs great and is built really well.

I'd be really interested in going for a ride in the new yamaha or even taking one for a spin. Not until I'm ready to get something new though.

I could care less about having 170HP really...we mostly do trails (95%) of the time anyways, having a whopping 35-ish hp right now..anything above would seem awesome!

:lmao:

 

 Pretty much the same crap I get for having a Yamaha 1000 R, SS-SE- Turbo..........  there will always be jealous haters  :bigrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.