HozayKwarvo

New monuments/Memorials - All opposed?

New Memorials/Monuments in the dunes  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The last thing we need is one of those little muther funking white crosses for every fallen rider.  The place  will look like the road to Vegas in no time, then you get all of the flowers, shirts stuffed animals and ballons......

My blood is already boiling....

Want a memorial for a loved one buy a cemetery plot,  Want to spread their ashes out there go ahead I am not going to say anything.

The one that GDS is willing to build on the old cemetery is a great idea, I would be willing to bet that if somebody offered the store some new picnic tables out front with a tribute on them nobody would scream to loud.

If the Swing Set, Southern Flag, Pole,  Fireman's and even the Vet's flag pole were all removed it would not break my heart or cause me to make much of a fuss.

I do believe the Vet's ( Chuck Boardmen) flag pole / box is pre-BLM and would be grandfathered in so relax Mac it'snot going anyplace.

9 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

There is ALLOT of random chatter about this on various FB Glamis groups, they only one I seen with real legs is Mike M. (Owner of GDS) is going to update the old cemetery and place a plaque with ALL the names of those who passed in glamis.....past as far as they have record of and more recent...its a long list i was told.

Everything else is just hot wind by folks that are focused on this right now from recent events, these are the memorials that later become problems thus Hozays very good thread on it.

Ok thanksIm not a facebooker so im usually uninformed. Was wondering if there was a group with a plan to erect a wall somewhere or something

Posting up something on Facebook and actually getting it done are two entirely different things, especially in that environment. Since there is no way the BLM is going to give a permit for this, all you gotta do is head out there a week or two after it's put up and take it down yourself. Head out on a Tuesday and I'm sure there wouldn't be anyone to even notice what you are doing. Just make sure you remove it all, don't just destroy what they put up and leave a bunch of shit out there. You gotta remember, most of the people posting up nowadays are the ones asking for coordinates to Olds and Duner's Diner. Save yourself the headache and the drama. 

For the record though, I think the swingset and the flagpoles are cool and am glad they are there. The plane was stupid and I'm glad it got hauled outta there.

One of the groups (CanAm x3Max) is planning a glow in the dark / lighted cross on top of one of the major hills. 

3 hours ago, dbart said:

:bag:

Bob's Big Boy.jpg

We could go deep down this rabbit hole again...

5a53fb2eeaff8_ScreenShot2018-01-08at3_13_18PM.thumb.png.038e61dcb21fe8ac412625a6378094af.png.1f0d53ed11826f618d19def889c828f7.png

To answer OP's question:

We put out a memorial for a member of our group out in Gordon's several years back next to the swingset that used to be out there. It was an engraved metal commemoration about 8 inches in diameter that was cemented in a square block about 12" x 12". we put it in the sand and it was an awesome destination for our whole group every trip that was easily accessable for everyone whether you could dune or not. Unfortunately when the closures happen it landed very close to the closure line so BLM took it out and the parents of the memorial were able to pick it up. The area it was originally in had about 3 or 4 memorials that were well done, didn't deteriorate and become trash in the dunes. I would be open to having one location that you could add a mark to represent a lost relative, but in hindsight having a memorial, like ours, for every person who has passed that loved the dunes would create much more long term effects on the dunes than we might think. I think the vets memorial, swingset, and firefighter memorial are great, and enough. Spreading ashes is as far as I think it should go from this point forward. We love the dunes, so let's keep them clean and pay our respects by sitting up top of a dune and remembering.  

3 hours ago, RK Racing said:

Add a “Flying J” or a “Pilot”  gas station next to the five guys next to the swingset and then we are completely 100% set!

hey look, diesel and it's only $47.99 a gallon :dunno: :lmao: 

1 hour ago, acefuture said:

We could go deep down this rabbit hole again...

5a53fb2eeaff8_ScreenShot2018-01-08at3_13_18PM.thumb.png.038e61dcb21fe8ac412625a6378094af.png.1f0d53ed11826f618d19def889c828f7.png

That was it!  It took 4 V8 rails to drag that bad boy out.   Then a bunch of do-gooders had to go pull it out.  We put a lot of time getting that out there.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to place permanent objects in the dunes. Would be strange to put up a memorial right next to a memorial for the peep that beefed on the memorial. Seems like an invitation for LEOs to get even more involved (rules / enforcement).

Edited by BaBaBouy

We all have peeps that have been avid duner's that have passed, I've had two lately. The older we get the more of our friends fad away into oblivion. I would like to put a monument in the dunes for all of our duner friends that have passed.

I'm in the camp / opinion, of spreading their ashes in their favorite spot whether in camp or the dunes. Monuments ?, they are another story. IMO monuments and grave stones are meant for cemetery's.

I'm not that old school.  Been going since '02.  But it seems obvious all the "memorials" have coincided with social media.  

90%of these are junk in the dunes so someone can stake a claim, take a photo and post somewhere for their own gratitude.

Flagpole had a small, simple Boardman plaque.  In the last 10-12 years, everyone and their mother has plastered half ass scraps on there to designate someone who once stepped foot on sand.  It looks like shit. 

The Granite Mountain "memorial" has looked like garbage since the first month it was there.  Sandbags deteriorating and everyone's shit stapled and zip tied to it, rotting in the sun and wind.

Enough. 

Edited by Bansh88

I personally like the destination points.  It lets us know where all the newbs and amateurs are at and where to stay away from.  Sure I have visited the places but its nice to know most people only see those destinations and we have the rest of the sand free for us. 

22 hours ago, dbart said:

:bag:

Bob's Big Boy.jpg

Good job. DON~~~

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, megadesertdiesel said:

I personally like the destination points.  It lets us know where all the newbs and amateurs are at and where to stay away from.  Sure I have visited the places but its nice to know most people only see those destinations and we have the rest of the sand free for us. 

I totally agree . But a Bob's Big Boy stand at someplace like the Wall or the Ceiling sounds good. Or even a Taco stand !. That would be a destination worth going to !. ?

Haven’t you been to (taco bowl)?

5 hours ago, bgchlln said:

Haven’t you been to (taco bowl)?

LOL. We call it the BIG U. If you've been there in a while... Last time I bean there no tacos.