HOWIE

19.5 WHEELS OR 22.5 WHEELS

Looking stepping into a Class A gas motorhome coming up and it needs tires. It has 19.5 wheels now. Was going to upgrade the wheels to some Alcoa's, is it worth it to upgrade to the 22.5 wheels and tires over the 19.5s?

If you need the capacity it's worth it but the tires cost more.

I have seen this same motorhome set up both ways so I guess the only way to truly tell is put the motorhome on scales and see what the weight is and go from there possibly

I know that on my motor home the Chevy chassis came with 19.5's and the Ford chassis came with 16's.

I have the Ford chassis and upgraded to the 19.5's when I needed new tires.

I think it's worth it - rides much better IMHO.  If it helps - Look into getting a one year membership with FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) - cost was minimal but you then use their Michelin Tire program to purchase tires.  It was the best price I could get on tires and I like the Michelin's.    

Changing to a taller tire will change the final drive gear ratio. It may take the fight out of the pulling power.  additionally, there could be clearance issues, especially the front turn radius. 

My 2001 Holiday Rambler came with 19.5 wheels and my buddy, the previous owner, kept having blowouts. Last time it was a steering tire while towing his boat to Lake Powell. His wife, 5 daughters and some grandkids were with him and they almost all died. He sued HR (Monaco) and got them to put 22.5 wheels and H rated bus tires on the coach. But they wouldn't clear so they also did a 2" body lift at the air bags. Kinda sucks cause when I dump my bags they don't go down all the way. But having H rated tires is wayyy better. Until I have to replace them at $700 each.

I had a similar experience to what LRS related. I had 19.5's and multiple blowouts (but no one was in fear for their lives, thankfully).

I did a lot of research on the 22.5's and had several priorities:

1. I had to be able to lift the wheel tire combo (125 Lb max)
  2. Smallest OD was needed (I found 37.4". that would work)
  3. I wanted low rolling resistance

From all this, I ended up with the 255/75 size. with the Accuride wheel, the combo is just under 120 Lbs, I think (going by memory)

I chose the FT455 Firestone tire. Most people use them on trailers. It was perfect for my application.

1998370662_Alumaliterightside.JPG.4dfcb9b0fb2c92f0e187e8aa31a4c6dd.JPG

After it was all done, I was VERY happy with the results. You could actually feel the reduced drag from the driver's seat (although that is subjective). This was several years ago, but then I got the tires for $355 each. I paid $200 each for the Accuride rims.

The bigger tire is certainly better if you drive off road as well (wash camping and such).  The smaller tires sink faster

Thank everybody for the helpuful info I am going to look into a 22.5 wheel and tires that keep a similar over all diameter to what it has now to help with gearing and what not.

which lug pattern do you have?

1 hour ago, journeyman said:

which lug pattern do you have?

It's the Chevy work horse chassis 

Is that the 10 on 11.25"?

big 8-hole?

10 on 7.25"?