HOWIE

Good Paddle for 250R

Looking for something light that stays on top of the sand

Your going to laugh....................................... Gliders get the most paddles you can find on the size rim you prefer 8" or 10".

They will spin up fast have lots of flotation slide easily and the people following you will not be roosted to death.

STU Paddle Brats comp cut 8” blue label

1 hour ago, MWB said:

Your going to laugh....................................... Gliders get the most paddles you can find on the size rim you prefer 8" or 10".

They will spin up fast have lots of flotation slide easily and the people following you will not be roosted to death.

That's funny that's what I run on my 450r, how many is to many paddle wise 

5 minutes ago, HOWIE said:

With a 250R or 450R you cant get to many :lol:  there isn't enough room

Find a set of the old daryl smith dumont cut they were either pro wedges or stu desert traks or buy some and have them cut

they kinda looked like this. Maybe @Mike330R will chime in. I think i used to get them through him

32C521C8-589C-41CD-8DF8-D1CA5D104E40.jpeg

Edited by sausage450r

8 paddle Haulers..  Light, great hook up, and slide easy.

Edited by Legit Duner
not 10's...

On my 87 250R, I had some 8 paddle Dune Sliders on factory rims that came with it. I never really liked them. They actually felt like they were bogging it down on the top end. they slid "ok", but nothing special. I switched to 6 paddles Skat trak Hauler Extremes on Blue lable wheels and it was a big difference. It actually slid easier than the dune sliders, and the straight line traction was better. Im not sure if it was the lighter weight (both the rim and tire were lighter than dune sliders/stockers), or the fewer, taller paddles, but the top end felt stronger. So thats my recommendation. 6 paddle Extremes.

6 hours ago, vikter said:

STU Paddle Brats comp cut 8” blue label

This

My favorite were 21x10-8 haulers they would hook up like crazy and didn't slide much. A few times in bowls the front end would come up and the bike would go straight when you wanted to turn, little out of control = a lot of fun.

5 hours ago, HOWIE said:

buddy runs a 12 paddle with 22" tires gliders

Gliders is a good choice and Padla Brats are hard to beat on weight. I've never ran them but have lifted a few sets. I have ran Gliders and they work well.  

Light and not over-paddled is the key.

Gliders don't work that well on 2 strokes.  450s are a different story and the paddles would range from 9-12, and there IS a point where there's too much paddle even with Gliders. 

21x12x8 6 Extremes or 7 Haulers, pretty much the same tire. 

Don't forget about the gearing, second most common overlooked aspect of setup, just under over-paddling. 

I ran the STU Sand Skate, worked well for sliding the back end around.

I had 10 paddle Gliders on my 310 and freaking loved them. I have NEVER understood the love people have for Haulers. Maybe I just never had them on the right quad, but they don't turn well in my experience and I like my friends, why would I want them to have to ride behind that all the time? Any quad in our group with Haulers gets to ride in the back only....

When I had my. 250r. I loved  sand skate 1s  8 inch dia wheel .  Spun great slid well . But never really looked as cool as haulers 

Sand skate 2s were my favorite.  Not sure if you can still get them. 

Your porting and pipe selection makes a big difference vs a close to stock 250r... along with your riding style.

If your power band comes on like a light switch and hits really hard with straight paddles you better be planning to go straight... unpredictable at best and kind of dangerous at worst.

I would not really be looking for anything new If I were you... buy a well worn set for wet sand and a pair and a less worn set for dry sand for the best overall experience.

My favorites were also a set of well worn sand skate 2's.  I have a set on rims I would let go cheap if your going out next week or two.

I also have a set of less worn set of sand sharks on rims I don't need anymore also that was my setup and my r is long gone.

1 hour ago, rayspeed said:

Your porting and pipe selection makes a big difference vs a close to stock 250r... along with your riding style.

If your power band comes on like a light switch and hits really hard with straight paddles you better be planning to go straight... unpredictable at best and kind of dangerous at worst.

I would not really be looking for anything new If I were you... buy a well worn set for wet sand and a pair and a less worn set for dry sand for the best overall experience.

My favorites were also a set of well worn sand skate 2's.  I have a set on rims I would let go cheap if your going out next week or two.

I also have a set of less worn set of sand sharks on rims I don't need anymore also that was my setup and my r is long gone.

You have any pictures of the skate 2s and what are you looking for them 

Probably take a c-note for all four for the best of both worlds.  $60 for the two skates wheels and tires seems fair.  The rims are itp and more on the thick and durable side than thin and bendy.  No chunks out of any of the paddles... perfectly worn down.

The sharks took a wack  by a root at the cinders but hold air and you would never know riding on them all held air good last I remember.

I got some front single ribs on wheels to that match up nice.

Will be at oglilby from this late saturday to new years.

20181218_212611[1].jpg

20181218_212624[1].jpg

20181218_212428[1].jpg

24 minutes ago, rayspeed said:

Probably take a c-note for all four for the best of both worlds.  $60 for the two skates wheels and tires seems fair.  The rims are itp and more on the thick and durable side than thin and bendy.  No chunks out of any of the paddles... perfectly worn down.

The sharks took a wack  by a root at the cinders but hold air and you would never know riding on them all held air good last I remember.

I got some front single ribs on wheels to that match up nice.

Will be at oglilby from this late saturday to new years.

20181218_212611[1].jpg

20181218_212624[1].jpg

20181218_212428[1].jpg

Where are you located at? 

A buddy got a set of 8 paddle Skat-Trak Haulers last year.  250R.  He hasn't shut the hell up about them yet.  He swears by them so much I want a set for my Banshee.

He's been riding for 20+ years

On 12/18/2018 at 9:13 AM, jtmoney714 said:

Sand skate 2s were my favorite.  Not sure if you can still get them. 

Had those on my atc 250r years ago best tire i ever ran on that trike.

For a stock 250r 20x10x   7paddle haulers-- For a basic 310  20-10-  8 paddle haulers-- if you are beyond that, 8 paddle extremes  I have tried 9 paddle, too much paddle wont turn.  I have tried sand skates, turn great but are heavy and are hard to unload the front end with the throttle like the haulers.  we run the 22x10x9 dune chaser fronts no trouble with turning.  You do need to adjust the air pressure on paddles for the conditions.  The 10" wheel makes the tire flat like a Funco so it will slide at will -- so dont make the mistake of getting an 8" wheel or a 21" or 22" tall tire it will be too rounded.