tdent450

How smooth can you get?

Last time at the dunes I got the crap kicked out of me on the quad. It was way too rough. It’s a stock suspension yfz450r. I have it adjusted as soft as I can get it to go on the front end and as soft as I can without it bottoming out all the time in the rear. My question is throwing all the tricks at it, how plush of a ride can you get on a quad? I realize there is a limit, relatively small tires and small suspension travel on the quad and big bumps in the sand means a rough ride. Maybe I’m just getting too old to be out there on a quad. I still really enjoy it and I don’t want to hang it up but can’t take that harsh of a ride much longer.  What’s your experience and suggestions?

Edited by tdent450

My buddy had an 05 yfz450, ... put $20k into it... bore.. stroke... bells n whistles... extended, .. widened the stance.. larger tires by 3-4". ,, custom shocks.. the whole friggin 9.. heck he had a clear case on it... tons of 'wasted' bling like skulls in sh__.... Tires... . huge floatation.... biggest tires you can get honestly.. improves suspension.

... I have video of me smoking built banshees in Pismo.. Dam thing was like sitting ON TOP of a sand car....

;....                    with handlebars...

abc

Ps. I'll find a photo.. at least 10 years ago... like 13...

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

I had a KTM quad....even with that suspension is wasn't magic over the chop, but it was pretty dang good.

You need to talk to a suspension guy.... Schmidty Racing might be a good place to start...

Dean Sundahl frame was my best ride ever 

I had a 06. Upgraded the suspension and it was night and day. Still rough during and after a holiday weekend when sand grooved up but tolerable.

Even with all the travel in a Trophy Truck, they still run 40" tires for a reason.

8 hours ago, Sand tourS said:

Dean Sundahl frame was my best ride ever 

There is a sundahl binchee is for sale currently. Its a great and proven bike (i used to race against the seller) . He’s askin 11k$ san diego craigslist. 

Good shocks and more stable stance make a huge diff. ABC is right larger tires help. In the desert i ran 23”’front 22” rear. Paddles were always 20’s though. Never used rasorbacks

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/snw/d/dean-sundahl-350-banchee/6763021623.html

Edited by sausage450r

Actually you went the wrong way, You softened up the suspension.  You want to get that thing nice and stiff then go faster. Soaks up the bumps a lot better.  If youpinn the throttle lean back and hit the chop it is a lot easier than going slow over it.  Get up on the top of the chop and stay there.

Plus go out on  off weekends  on Wed and ride till Friday morning then head home

Best thing I have found that keeps you sane and in less pain is a good steering stabilizer.  Fighting to keep between the fences wears me out fast, and worse in the chop. 

4 minutes ago, WLD-OTZ said:

Best thing I have found that keeps you sane and in less pain is a good steering stabilizer.  Fighting to keep between the fences wears me out fast, and worse in the chop. 

That's a very good suggestion.

HTFU . . .

Oh yas, and buy and old Can Am DS 650. You want plush, that will get you there!

19 hours ago, WLD-OTZ said:

I raced quads for a few years... of the thousands of dollars spent on suspension and tuning, the best investment I made was a stabilizer and a set of flexx bars. FTW, no more arm pump, no more hurting after long rides and no more thumb fatigue. The Stabilizer I bought was an Elka "System 5" 

System 5.jpg

Edited by Orange_R

Long travel and properly tuned Elka shocks. 

20181206_122838.jpg

That's a with a +4 rear axle.

A good suspension makes a huge difference.  You don't get as beat up and you're not as worn out after a day of riding.

Edited by azcg

43 minutes ago, azcg said:

Long travel and properly tuned Elka shocks. 

20181206_122838.jpg

That's a with a +4 rear axle.

A good suspension makes a huge difference.  You don't get as beat up and you're not as worn out after a day of riding.

The YFZ450R already has the wider A-arms and the wider axle. 

I LOVE my Flex Bars........  but they still do not cure pecker tracks from a holiday weekend.

Here's what I did on the quad I built and it was a dream.  A few on here had ridden it and can vouch for it.

Long travel front Plus 2 plus 1 arms, custom sprung and valved shocks for my weight, experience and riding area (sand), extended rear axle (plus 4 to match front), custom sprung and valved rear shock, got rid of the 2 piece link, went to an extended one piece link.  Lonestar plus 1 extended anti vibe stem, GPR disk style steering damper, FAST Flexx bars.

Absolutely a couch through even the roughest dunes.  Bike handled amazing, you could ride it for days and not get wore out.  BUT...all that will cost you a pretty penny.

58 minutes ago, MWB said:

The YFZ450R already has the wider A-arms and the wider axle. 

An R is about 2.5 inches wider overall.    My '07 YFZ pictured, has +3+1 A-Arms for 6" of added width.   Like Mac mentioned, mine also rides like a friggin couch.  (in a good way)  very plush.

Regardless, a full set (front & back) of custom valved & sprung, triple-rate (F) dual-rate (R) Elka shocks (or, Fox Float air shocks) will make a world of difference over stock shocks.

If you're looking to save $$ you can get your stock shocks, re-valved and add springs.

Edited by azcg

Or, sell yours and go buy a used ktm quad...

Buy a side by side and make all the Sandrail guys Superduper jealous! It Will soak up all the rough terrain that your quad will never be able to soak up :bigrin

You’re going to have to spend the money on suspension and steering dampeners ,there’s tons of great products out there to put on your quad , don’t stop now I’m still doing it at 57 .... Like a couple of the guys have said go on off weekends and start riding out by China wall and the wall.... It’s a hell of a lot smoother out there than by Olds Or big dune by Osborn look out....

4F512C68-E2F2-4874-A275-F72C267BE342.jpeg

You have  the 450R so need to widen it.  You need to get the stock shocks re-done, steering stabilizer, anti-vibe steering stem or some fast flexx bars.   Call these guys  - http://www.racetech.com/   They do great shock work.  

The chop is going to be tough no matter what, the above will make it way more tolerable.  

I still go out on my YFZ450 with my kid.  I have long travel, elka shocks, steering stabilizer and Fast Flex bars.   My quad is 15 years old, but still rides nice in the dunes. 

Edited by Sand Shark

Most of our quad riders went back to two wheelers due to how rough it is out there................

1 minute ago, Cookie said:

Most of our quad riders went back to two wheelers due to how rough it is out there................

I had Precision concepts do my suspension for me on my 2 wheeler and bought a Scotts steering damper...HUGE!!!

9 minutes ago, Mac said:

I had Precision concepts do my suspension for me on my 2 wheeler and bought a Scotts steering damper...HUGE!!!

Two wheelers are a lot of fun, I still get out once in awhile early in the morning for a fun ride in the dunes before the crazies get out.  Us old guys still have to try..................;)