Sign in to follow this  
adam909

buying new truck out of state

The real answer is still YES jkr951 you provided information related to SMOG equipment only that goes back to the 70's & 80's when most vehicles were manufactured for 49 states excluding CA which had add devices for vehicles only sold in Ca. 

I have been through this, you can not simply purchase a out of state vehicle and register it in ca. which is what the OP asked, You will have hoops to jump through.

But you can order a CA compliant new vehicle from an out of state dealer and pay for it when it arrives, including CA sales tax and reg.

As for the Montana loophole, there's an attorney who did a youtube video about this and there are states that are cracking down on this, the one he mentioned was Georgia, oddly enough. The reason he cited was the loss of sales tax revenue. He said GA is offering a bounty to anyone who turns in a MT plated vehicle. So you buy a nice fancy diesel pusher, MacPenis down the street is all pissed off you're living a better life and sees the MT plates as you're loading up for a trip and he makes 1 phone call. The state sends a blood sucker over to your house and they nail you for the full amount of sales tax, and your shitbag neighbor gets a percentage of the taxes.

I wouldn't be surprised if CA starts doing this as well. An example of how greedy CA is, the FTB raided the offices of Lectrosonics in New Mexico and seized all of their sales records and sent letters to each customer demanding that they pay the use tax. They even sent me one for a lousy $9.30 in taxes. It cost them more in man hours to generate the letter than the tax!

Edited by socaldmax

58 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

But you can order a CA compliant new vehicle from an out of state dealer and pay for it when it arrives, including CA sales tax and reg.

As for the Montana loophole, there's an attorney who did a youtube video about this and there are states that are cracking down on this, the one he mentioned was Georgia, oddly enough. The reason he cited was the loss of sales tax revenue. He said GA is offering a bounty to anyone who turns in a MT plated vehicle. So you buy a nice fancy diesel pusher, MacPenis down the street is all pissed off you're living a better life and sees the MT plates as you're loading up for a trip and he makes 1 phone call. The state sends a blood sucker over to your house and they nail you for the full amount of sales tax, and your shitbag neighbor gets a percentage of the taxes.

I wouldn't be surprised if CA starts doing this as well. An example of how greedy CA is, the FTB raided the offices of Lectrosonics in New Mexico and seized all of their sales records and sent letters to each customer demanding that they pay the use tax. They even sent me one for a lousy $9.30 in taxes. It cost them more in man hours to generate the letter than the tax!

I have a (2) neighbors one in Ca. and another in Az that have Coach's that are registered in Montana and one day I asked about the Mt. Tags.

One answered that he owned property in MT. that cost him $30k, his Ca. Luxury tax was more than $30k a yr.  also the MT. property is his primary residence.

The other neighbour has a LLC in Mt. I would bet that going after people would cost the state(s) in some cases more than it's worth.

I have also met several people in a handful of campgrounds that also did the South Dakota reg. and said it was easy to do with zero issues with their home states.

4 hours ago, AlpineFunco said:

Just curious, why do you want to pay 4% in South Dakota vs. 0% in Montana?

Montana LLC's were a great way to do this.  Now several states including LA and NE are onto it and going after people who establish LLC's in MT to avoid paying sales tax.  Montana politicians are also interested in cashing in on people who do this buy increasing licensing fees.  I am going to establish residence in SD for many other reasons.  Saving 6% on the sales tax of a new truck/trailer is just one of the perks.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/out-of-state-car-buyers-use-montana-llc-s-to/article_b4b37d29-e894-523e-b0ed-be7c0bf7e398.html

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/mtleg/lawmakers-still-looking-to-charge-fees-on-luxury-cars-rvs/article_09f7a6fa-c65c-5a8e-b91d-5b1c0956d663.html

Edited by fmyth

1 hour ago, GROPER said:

I have a (2) neighbors one in Ca. and another in Az that have Coach's that are registered in Montana and one day I asked about the Mt. Tags.

One answered that he owned property in MT. that cost him $30k, his Ca. Luxury tax was more than $30k a yr.  also the MT. property is his primary residence.

The other neighbour has a LLC in Mt. I would bet that going after people would cost the state(s) in some cases more than it's worth.

I have also met several people in a handful of campgrounds that also did the South Dakota reg. and said it was easy to do with zero issues with their home states.

This is from that article in the Bozeman Chronicle.

It might not hurt Montana, but other states don’t like it and have taken action. Government officials in Arizona, California, Colorado, Maryland, Nevada and Washington state have created tip lines to catch tax cheats.

California, Massachusetts and Iowa have passed laws aiming to prevent their residents from using the Montana loophole. Nebraska, which has a 7 percent sales tax, is the most recent, according to the National Conference on State Legislatures.

From my experience, CA is so greedy they will go to any lengths to get an extra nickle.

does having a car registered out of state affect the insurance. 

4 hours ago, JKR951 said:

The real answer is NO,  However there are loop holes to just about everything in life .... except for death.  All but a few who responded make that clear. If you are willing to go through a bunch of BS then go for it.  Some who claim they or someone they know "just did it" probably have not received the nasty gram from CADMV yet.

I have been through this, you can not simply purchase a out of state vehicle and register it in ca. which is what the OP asked, You will have hoops to jump through.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

DMV doc1_Page_1.jpg

DMV doc1_Page_2.jpg

thats only talking about smog, most all new cars, trucks will pass smog in Cali

Let us know how it goes. While some think you were trying to evade taxes I understood it as best asking price for the truck nothing more. Good luck!! 

3 minutes ago, Chingon619 said:

Let us know how it goes. While some think you were trying to evade taxes I understood it as best asking price for the truck nothing more. Good luck!! 

there will be no evading taxes due to it will be registered in cali..   Just trying to get the warm and fuzzies before committing..  Ive already reached out to the Idaho dealer..  Crazy how much cheaper the truck is and I haven't even tried to deal with them yet.. 

1 minute ago, adam909 said:

there will be no evading taxes due to it will be registered in cali..   Just trying to get the warm and fuzzies before committing..  Ive already reached out to the Idaho dealer..  Crazy how much cheaper the truck is and I haven't even tried to deal with them yet.. 

The price on the web site is the price ur going to pay if ur talking about Dennis Dillon,  ask me how i know 

2 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

Yep

Edited by breeze99

3 hours ago, adam909 said:

thanks for all the replies..  

Hurry up!! We need to get a G trip on the books

3 hours ago, breeze99 said:

Hurry up!! We need to get a G trip on the books

trying bubba.. so far there is only one  truck with the options and color that I want in a 60 mile radius.. 

Edited by adam909

On 12/7/2018 at 9:03 PM, DTA said:

Oh please, east county. North county represent. Lol.

Even still, a 1 way plane ticket is dirt cheap nowadays. Just more fuel and time coming back. Savings is a savings. I hit up every dealer within 150 miles of me for the right deal. Almost even drove to Bakersfield. Nobody could come close to price with the options I wanted and got.

No if we are talking east coast that's a different story. However when I was searching I was open to Washington and south and Colorado and west. Basically the western 3rd.

Funniest part is I am the deal getter, driven to Phoenix to steal shit many times, however it was my wife who found the deal in yuma and I had completely missed it somehow. As I said I had a deal lined up I'm bakersfield and that is farther than yuma for me.

Eta, I know many many people who get flown out of state on the dealers dime to buy their Raptors to save 10-20k since all the SoCal ford dealers are gougers.

OK your the best and smartest guy ever I don't disagree. For me time is money as well. I just don't have time to spend 3-4 days to buy a new truck.  whatever you want to do I'm good with it .

On 12/8/2018 at 3:32 PM, adam909 said:

did you ever pull the trigger on this?  

Bob

7 hours ago, Bobalos said:

did you ever pull the trigger on this?  

Bob

I have not..   Ive waited it out to see  the 19's..  Ram just released the new Hd 19's yesterday  and I really like the changes they made..  Wish there was more changes in some areas..  Now im waiting for ram to release the prices and when they are going to start building and taking orders on the 19's. 

Ive tried 2 local dealers on a 18 and they couldn't come close to what I could get the truck for in Idaho.. 

2 minutes ago, adam909 said:

I have not..   Ive waited it out to see  the 19's..  Ram just released the new Hd 19's yesterday  and I really like the changes they made..  Wish there was more changes in some areas..  Now im waiting for ram to release the prices and when they are going to start building and taking orders on the 19's. 

Ive tried 2 local dealers on a 18 and they couldn't come close to what I could get the truck for in Idaho.. 

find one and i will GD,com postal for ya, dealers in Boise are smoken 

11 hours ago, adam909 said:

I understand that they are coming out with a new Dodge Trans (68RE or 69RE or something like that) is there any truth to this? 

I thought they were happy with the Aisian trans in the HD Trucks..........  maybe Fiat does not like the profit% having to buy a trans that works worth a shit......  

The 68 is still in the 2500’s. And the Aisin will still be in the 3500’s.  Wished they would have  released the 8 speeds but maybe next year.  1000 lb-torque in the 3500.  And 35,000 towing

Edited by adam909

On 12/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, JKR951 said:

No can do my friend ...... must be 7 years old or have 7,000 miles for out of state transfer into Ca.

This is applicable to used veh only and has to have 7500 miles.

I bought a Harley from a friend in Texas with 1000 miles and couldn't reg it here in Ca. No CA sticker on it either.

Edited by matt86m

6 hours ago, adam909 said:

The 68 is still in the 2500’s. And the Aisin will still be in the 3500’s.  Wished they would have  released the 8 speeds but maybe next year.  1000 lb-torque in the 3500.  And 35,000 towing

I wondered how that worked.  is that true all the way back to 2013 when they started putting the Aisin in the Dodge?

1000 Ft-Lbs of torque.................. DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!  

Daddy want!!  LOL.