onanysunday

Damaged Dune sport 14.50 x 15. Is it worth trying a tube

A stick came up through and got some of the cords but the tire is still holding air fine. Is it worth trying a tube or just buy a tire? My thought is not worth crashing the car over a tire.

20181214_150747.jpg

Edited by onanysunday

I had a tire similar cut/puncture and put a tube in it.  It started to rip the carcase more so I got new paddles.  Sorry for the crappy pic.

15448378393137751955079100148159.jpg

FC3402A2-D5DF-4BB9-AE68-9A9DF1737B43.jpeg.4d813937628c23088dbcc270788d9b98.jpeg

Go to a Tandy leather store and get what you need to stitch it up. They will get you what you need. Next go to TSC and buy a big tractor tire patch for the inside. A tube is optional at this point but I fixed two like this and they held fine.

My pops poked a hole like that in his tire. Put a big tractor style patch like stumpalump said and runs a tube now. Tire has been fine for 2 seasons now.

4 hours ago, sandhammerer said:

? ^^^^

Held fine ?....

Yes. I riped it last year then ripped the other one. I trusted it enough to use on my last ride after not liking the paddles I was using. I covered the threads with sho goo but it cracked. Take big bites with the needle and thread and next time I’ll use somthing different than sho goo. 5200? Gel superglue? Got a sugestion?

81D95F37-E90D-4F33-96EA-AC3525D70288.thumb.jpeg.ebed00becf4cc74861191c04ce94cb80.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, onanysunday said:

A stick came up through and got some of the cords but the tire is still holding air fine. Is it worth trying a tube or just buy a tire? My thought is not worth crashing the car over a tire.

20181214_150747.jpg

imo. you answered your own question right here.  (Is it worth trying a tube or just buy a tire? My thought is not worth crashing;)

if you fix it you will always worry about it and I know how you like to  drive!

also how old is the tire? and didn't I just see your buggy driving on 3 wheels in another post?

9 hours ago, jeeperdino said:

imo. you answered your own question right here.  (Is it worth trying a tube or just buy a tire? My thought is not worth crashing;)

if you fix it you will always worry about it and I know how you like to  drive!

also how old is the tire? and didn't I just see your buggy driving on 3 wheels in another post?

Yup, But I loaned my front to another buggy. Did not know about this issue at the time. But yes I decided not worth it. Just found an older 2004 date coded tire coming to me for $70 including shipping from CA. Figured it was a good enough deal to try it. For now better than $410 for a new tire. (shipped) Especially since I have to fix some broken items on my moho. 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, onanysunday said:

Yup, But I loaned my front to another buggy. Did not know about this issue at the time. But yes I decided not worth it. Just found an older 2004 date coded tire coming to me for $70 including shipping from CA. Figured it was a good enough deal to try it. For now better than $410 for a new tire. (shipped) Especially since I have to fix some broken items on my moho. 

I'll take a lot of safety over a little $ anytime. I just had to deal with a similar situation with my super duty.  A slice in on of my side wall 35 's, they had at least 1/2 tread left but were 7 years old. ( I only drive the truck to G ). I couldn't find one tire to  replace it, so I had to buy 4 new ones. Ouch. Towing a 12k trailer. 

That being said .. I'm not sure one way or another about your situation AOS. If that used tire is good than WTH, Go for it. There's always starch..

Damn nice tire for $70 delivered. Of course older with harder rubber so we will see how soon I can wreck it.

20181220_193948.jpg

On 12/18/2018 at 8:51 PM, stumpalump said:

Yes. I riped it last year then ripped the other one. I trusted it enough to use on my last ride after not liking the paddles I was using. I covered the threads with sho goo but it cracked. Take big bites with the needle and thread and next time I’ll use somthing different than sho goo. 5200? Gel superglue? Got a suggestion?

81D95F37-E90D-4F33-96EA-AC3525D70288.thumb.jpeg.ebed00becf4cc74861191c04ce94cb80.jpeg

I do have a suggestion.........buy a new tire.

Damn stick went through the side wall but missed the tube. Did not know these had tubes and I have never run them. I would have been dead in the water without it in this case. I have to think a tube would be a liability if you poked a hole into the normal area that contacts the sand. If you put a tire plug in I wonder how well it would hold air. Looks like they drilled the hole for the valve stem a little bigger for the stem and nut. It is pretty tight and that area would seal somewhat well. I am thinking with a tube it could be hard to keep air in the tire and would slowly leak. :dunno: I think my $70 tire might last a little while. 

20181222_142604.jpg

20181222_144738.jpg

20181222_163931.jpg

20181222_172545.jpg

I am thinking with tubes it would be good to have a patch kit in the moho. Pop the ring off and pull the tube at the dunes would not be bad. This along with the tire plug kit.