dkorch

Kids seats?

Hey all!

starting to look into getting a kids seat to strap into my existing prp seat. My question is, what’s better.  The kids suspension seats, strapped into a regular seat? Or one of the booster pads prp sells inside that seat?

also, what’s everyone’s takes on the age of kids starting to go on a rides in the buggy? My little guy just turned 4, and I’d love to get him out there with me. 

Thanks for the advice!

I like the ratchet strapped car seat method the best. Until they are big enough to use the prp pad. The kid has to be pretty big to utilize the pad. My 7 year old has been using it for a 2 years now but he’s a large kid. Just gotta make sure you can get the belts tight enough.  My 5 year old has been in the prp booster seat for about 3 seasons now. He is small and I don’t see him growing out of that anytime soon. I also prefer 2” belts for the kids. Seems to fit on them better. 

07F2C0AD-EA04-4146-ADAF-913378E92BB0.jpeg

Edited by jtmoney714

I ratchet strapped a regular car seat to the frame of the car and locked it down. My 3 year old loves riding in the buggy! All 3 of my kids will fall asleep during long rides at times. I too got the 2" 5 pointers for the bigger kids on the advice from a friend. Way better for their little shoulders.

40 minutes ago, BCannon said:

I ratchet strapped a regular car seat to the frame of the car and locked it down. My 3 year old loves riding in the buggy! All 3 of my kids will fall asleep during long rides at times. I too got the 2" 5 pointers for the bigger kids on the advice from a friend. Way better for their little shoulders.

This works good but I stopped doing it when we were in ocotillo one time and I guess the dirt and dust made its way into the push button seat belt released and I could not depress the button to release it. Luckily we were in camp and I took it apart with a screw driver and cleaned it out. Scared me thinking if I was in a hurry to get her out in an emergency. 

Good info. Thanks guys. So you all take a a regular ratchet strap and loop it through the lower seat belt holes and sinch it down? The harnesses are not enough?

I clipped the car seat hooks to my weld on seat belt loops on the frame (the ones for clip I'm belts. Then put a 2" crow harness over that

20181020_071606.jpg

11 hours ago, dkorch said:

Hey all!

starting to look into getting a kids seat to strap into my existing prp seat. My question is, what’s better.  The kids suspension seats, strapped into a regular seat? Or one of the booster pads prp sells inside that seat?

also, what’s everyone’s takes on the age of kids starting to go on a rides in the buggy? My little guy just turned 4, and I’d love to get him out there with me. 

Thanks for the advice!

to much goes on in the dunes matching suspension seats look cool but not sure how well they protect the head area, would you run that in your everyday car if not why put it in the sand car,  until about 7 years old I ran the same child seat in my sand car as I did in my every day car way more head protection

Edited by J Alper

2 hours ago, dkorch said:

Good info. Thanks guys. So you all take a a regular ratchet strap and loop it through the lower seat belt holes and sinch it down? The harnesses are not enough?

Ya strap the seat down solid af. And then buckle him in the normal way. I then put the lap belt over the whole seat too. 

The regular car seat method is interesting. Not sure why I thought it would be a bad idea.... Why not just use the harness from car seat it self?

You will use the harness from the car seat to buckle them into the car seat and then use the harness from the buggy to hold in the entire seat assembly. In N emergency you can unbuckle the buggy harness and remove the kiddo and  carseat as one step.  I have also used rear facing carseats this way with an extra strap on the back to the buggy cage.

I strap my car seat in the buggy seat.  I remove the buggy seat cushion.  I have these ratchet straps that loop around themselves so there are no hooks and no way for the seat to come loose and very easy to install.   using a booster seat is very dangerous.  I have NEVER seen one i would put my kid in.  way to much slop in them.  Car seat is tested and meant to hold the kiddos in.  send me your address and I will ship you some of my straps or give you some over new years.  I have had my boys in the car since they were 4 and 6 months old.  Big rides and not slow.  most of the time my oldest was sleeping when he was young. my 4yr old now just holds onto his googles and headset.  He isn't going anywhere in that seat even if upside down. 

I did the same thing. Strap the car seats in when they’re little. 

When they got older I bought the kids prp seats. One has no tabs to sit inside a regular seat. It works well.  In my old car I bolted the 2 small seats in and took out the adult seats in the back. I used the third in the front seat when needed for the biggest kid to ride in. Worked awesome. 

I agree with the 2” harnesses as well. Much better for them.

Yup, same here. LRS (El Jefe) had posted the advice before about ratchet strapping the kids car seat into the buggy seat. I kept it in mind for when I would get my car out with my kids. When I finally did at only 2years old and 5 yrs old, they wanted a ride before anyone else lol. I tried it and sure enough that car seat was solid in there. I hooked at the belt mounts and used the back of the car seat strap to the rear bar, worked out nice. I need a 4 seater bad lol!

Did a car seat strapped in when my daughter was little,

when they outgrow the car seat buy a RZR 170 seat tabbed and put that in. 

those of you using car seats, have you found a fairly thin one? im using a simpson car seat in the back of mine for my 3 year old and its takes up too much of my small bench seat to fit a second car seat back there (second kiddo is on the way). 

may have to change the whole back seat setup.

BTW, my kiddo has been in the back of the car since 7 months old and been in my tracker going on desert rides or crawling adventures since 3 months. 

On 12/15/2018 at 3:42 PM, dkorch said:

The regular car seat method is interesting. Not sure why I thought it would be a bad idea.... Why not just use the harness from car seat it self?

I’ve been sold on the recaro kids seats since my neighbors rolled their f250 (rolled 6-7 times) outside of yuma; and their 3 year old didnt have a scratch

3A28D181-5055-45DC-A632-BB4207C5CE95.jpeg

15 hours ago, Squatcher said:

when they outgrow the car seat buy a RZR 170 seat tabbed and put that in. 

I need to take my kid to sit in one of these and see how she fits 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, dkorch said:

Hey all!

Thanks for the advice!

I just put my 1 year old in the rail.  I just took his car seat and used a strap to make sure it didn't move.

2 hours ago, ltpyro said:

I just put my 1 year old in the rail.  I just took his car seat and used a strap to make sure it didn't move.

My kids started around 1 as well.   I strapped the car seat in with a ratchet strap and just used the car seat belts.   I also found a little around the neck pillow to help support their head.

31 minutes ago, socalrzr said:

My kids started around 1 as well.   I strapped the car seat in with a ratchet strap and just used the car seat belts.   I also found a little around the neck pillow to help support their head.

Yup, we have a little pillow as well.  He sleeps so well in the dunes lol.

My 18 month old daughter made her first dune ride a month ago.   Car seat ratchet strapped to the frame.  It's very tight.  Then use the car seat harnesses so she's comfortable, with a 2" lap belt from the buggy on top.  I don't use the 2" buggy shoulder straps.  They are behind the car seat.

My buggy seats are +2" wide, so that helps fit the car seat perfectly.

It's great to get the whole family out for the rides.  But I have to go really slow - she won't wear goggles or a headset for more than 30 seconds.

20181102_094704.thumb.jpg.9146c2638474ce5e9c560895bfffd228.jpg

20181102_094628.thumb.jpg.48bb679ee87708574321522dbc53ebc4.jpg

Edited by Grey Mamba

Thanks for the great input everyone, as always!

gonna try the regular car seat method out first.  And thanks again squatcher for sending out the straps!

I have some Beard kid suspension seats. I installed a set of seat belt mounting rings that hold the 3" lap belts for the adults and then hook a set of 2" hook type lap belts to the rings and run them thru the slots in the kid seats. I use the 2" shoulder and crotch belts from the adult belts with the 2" lap belts. They work great and the 2" belts just hang over the edge of the seat when a adult in in the seat. Both sets of belts are Crow pull down to tighten.

DSCN0643.JPG