punkur67

Any pictures or info on Chenoweth SV-16 cars

My dad is picking up a Chenoweth SV-16  tomorrow to upgrade his old beam car. Does anyone have and pictures of info on these cars. I have heard about them but there is not much information out there. They have A-arms front and rear, dual coilovers in the rear and single in the front, inboard brakes in the rear, custom rear cast aluminium hubs (would like info on these), bolt in ball joints up front. Plan is to do some minor prep to get out for new years and run it for the rest of the season how it sits. Then next summer tear it down to clean it up, remount the radiator, change the fuel tank,  do some tin work, and decide to keep the V-6 or swap over to his Subaru that is mocked up in his old car. 

dad1.jpg

dad2.jpg

dad3.jpg

There were several of them for sale here when I was looking @ the end of last year.  do a search in the "buggy for sale" section.............

8 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

There were several of them for sale here when I was looking @ the end of last year.  do a search in the "buggy for sale" section.............

No luck....

Are you looking for pics of something specific? Or just trying to learn about the car?

Awesome cars. My father and I built a SV-16 together when I was growing up and later converted it to an SV-20.  They dune very well and slide well given the rear a-arms. One thing that was a pain in the a** was the rear bushings. I had to replace them every other season. 

IMG_2542.JPG

16 minutes ago, AlpineFunco said:

Are you looking for pics of something specific? Or just trying to learn about the car?

Trying to learn about them and get ideas

7 minutes ago, Reece said:

Awesome cars. My father and I built a SV-16 together when I was growing up and later converted it to an SV-20.  They dune very well and slide well given the rear a-arms. One thing that was a pain in the a** was the rear bushings. I had to replace them every other season. 

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2671.MOV

Where did you get bushings? I was going to have some made at a friends machine shop

9 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

Where did you get bushings? I was going to have some made at a friends machine shop

I used to get them at B&R buggy back when Garry used to own it. No clue who made them. 

Mgm here on the board does custom bushings out of any material u want... I have a set of sv-16 front and rear a arms I got from LRS if anyone needs them. Have 4 total two front uppers and two rear uppers complete

Edited by 2turbofords

17 hours ago, Reece said:

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2671.MOV

Man that blower looks so out of place hangin off the back of that bad boy haha. Probably was a blast to drive though

7 hours ago, acefuture said:

Man that blower looks so out of place hangin off the back of that bad boy haha. Probably was a blast to drive though

Wish we never sold this car. The engine was all aluminum, built for +600hp, and coupled to a bad ass Porsche  gear box.  

When Rory designed these cars they were way ahead of their time.  They handle great and hold up pretty good too.  The chassis are solid with great geometry.  The problems with them are some of the parts were proprietary for Rory.  The rear hubs he had machined specifically for that car so if you ever break one you will have to have a new one machined....which isn't really a big deal if you know a good machine shop.  Looks like you are in Ramona and there are plenty of them here in East County.  These cars evolved over the years.  They started with bus inner CV's and some of them had a Rabbit or bus outer CVs depending on when it was built.  Some guys were converting them to 930's, it just required some machine work.  Rory also used a couple different ball joints for the front A Arms.  There should be a 4 digit number on them that you can probably cross reference at a parts store.  I can't remember what those ball joints are out of....like an S-10 or something?  I talked to Tracy who used to run Fibertech about these cars because I had a buddy that was going to buy one from Jesse at JP Designs.  Tracy knew the whole history on them.  They were built to be kind of a heavy duty sand car before dual sport was really a thing.  Jesse at JP might have some more info on them as far as what parts you can use on them?  Anyway....cool cars for sure.  I wouldn't hesitate to put some money in one and upgrade some things, and drive the heck out of it!  I always wanted an Exodus...which is really just a bigger upgraded version of the SV-16.

~jw 

I owned one from 98-06.  Mine was the 2 seat 100" wheelbase.  I loved this car!!  It had a VW in it before I bought it from my buddy.  I put a built Corvair in it for a few years, then went to a turbo 2.3 Ford.  The car handled well, and would take about anything you could throw at it as far as whoops.  I have said many times - if I could have that car back again, it would be a lot of fun.  My only complaint about that car being so short (I see yours is not the short version) was that to do anything on the trans was a moderate job.  The seats had to come out to get the fuel tank out, to be able to get the trans out.  

HPIM0211.jpg

HPIM0212.jpg

My Motor.jpg

Chenowth.JPG

23 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

Mgm here on the board does custom bushings out of any material u want... I have a set of sv-16 front and rear a arms I got from LRS if anyone needs them. Have 4 total two front uppers and two rear uppers complete

It was a set of front upper and lower arms. They were spares a from my Chenowth Genesis. 

1 hour ago, 2DASAND said:

I owned one from 98-06.  Mine was the 2 seat 100" wheelbase.  I loved this car!!  It had a VW in it before I bought it from my buddy.  I put a built Corvair in it for a few years, then went to a turbo 2.3 Ford.  The car handled well, and would take about anything you could throw at it as far as whoops.  I have said many times - if I could have that car back again, it would be a lot of fun.  My only complaint about that car being so short (I see yours is not the short version) was that to do anything on the trans was a moderate job.  The seats had to come out to get the fuel tank out, to be able to get the trans out.  

HPIM0211.jpg

HPIM0212.jpg

My Motor.jpg

Chenowth.JPG

Thanks for the info. I want to belly mount the fuel tank like yours was to lower the center of gravity. Someone put it up high when they put the V6 in

4 minutes ago, tommy gunz said:

Your Dad is the one who beat me to the punch on this one!

Were you looking at buying this car too?

Yea i called the guy selling it, said he had some one coming to look at it. Text me back they were buying it. Congrats to your dad looks like a cool car.

1 hour ago, tommy gunz said:

Yea i called the guy selling it, said he had some one coming to look at it. Text me back they were buying it. Congrats to your dad looks like a cool car.

Thank you. It needs some cleaning up but it was a real good deal. Way better than his old beam car

Figured out these run outboard hubs during our prep for new years. This car is the same width as my dads old car with 3x3 arms but has 27-1/2" axles! We added front brakes, bigger tires, and cms wheels to add weight up front. The car is a little stiff in the rear but overall a big improvement over the old beam car.

We also redid all the fuel lines. Someone hacked the fuel system and it was a fire waiting to happen. The pressure side of the pump had a plain fuel line hose clamped to the regulator with cracks everywhere. The adapter out of the fuel pump was the wrong thread just teflon taped and cranked in about 3/4 of a turn. And the return line was vacuum hose clamped on. We replaced everything with an fittings and hoses and added a tank vent.  All good now.

We replaced the master cylinder shafts to the short ones to push the pedals farther away from the seat. Pretty sure whoever mounted them was about 4' tall. 

We replaced the steering wheel, bushings, and put a new wheel on. The electric power steering was not working. Pretty sure the controller is wasted from being left in the weather. 

Cvs were replaced with new boots and fresh grease. Hub bearings will be replaced this summer.

We plan the strip the car down this summer to do hub bearings, some tin work, rewire, change the fuel tank location, remount the radiator, new coolant lines, rear firewall, clean everything up, repaint, and replace any items that are worn out. I am probably going to fab new rear lower arms also to get rid of the bushings that seem to need constant replacement. 

We only got one ride this trip and the motor went in to limp mode the second ride. We checked some stuff out and found a damaged TPS, coolant temperature sensor, and bad connection in the harness. We replaced the bad sensors and the crank position sensor. Still stuck in limp mode so we have some more digging to do before our next trip. 

20181221_202013.jpg

20181221_203919.jpg

Did he buy ryans car? Saw him new year but he had his bronco out there

11 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

Did he buy ryans car? Saw him new year but he had his bronco out there

Yes

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, punkur67 said:

Figured out these run outboard hubs during our prep for new years. This car is the same width as my dads old car with 3x3 arms but has 27-1/2" axles! We added front brakes, bigger tires, and cms wheels to add weight up front. The car is a little stiff in the rear but overall a big improvement over the old beam car.

We also redid all the fuel lines. Someone hacked the fuel system and it was a fire waiting to happen. The pressure side of the pump had a plain fuel line hose clamped to the regulator with cracks everywhere. The adapter out of the fuel pump was the wrong thread just teflon taped and cranked in about 3/4 of a turn. And the return line was vacuum hose clamped on. We replaced everything with an fittings and hoses and added a tank vent.  All good now.

We replaced the master cylinder shafts to the short ones to push the pedals farther away from the seat. Pretty sure whoever mounted them was about 4' tall. 

We replaced the steering wheel, bushings, and put a new wheel on. The electric power steering was not working. Pretty sure the controller is wasted from being left in the weather. 

Cvs were replaced with new boots and fresh grease. Hub bearings will be replaced this summer.

We plan the strip the car down this summer to do hub bearings, some tin work, rewire, change the fuel tank location, remount the radiator, new coolant lines, rear firewall, clean everything up, repaint, and replace any items that are worn out. I am probably going to fab new rear lower arms also to get rid of the bushings that seem to need constant replacement. 

We only got one ride this trip and the motor went in to limp mode the second ride. We checked some stuff out and found a damaged TPS, coolant temperature sensor, and bad connection in the harness. We replaced the bad sensors and the crank position sensor. Still stuck in limp mode so we have some more digging to do before our next trip. 

20181221_202013.jpg

20181221_203919.jpg

Hey I've seen those front wheels and tires before.....