Phoenix7

How to handle breakages deep in the dunes?

21 hours ago, socaldmax said:

How the hell does someone get a SxS with 4wd stuck in the sand?   :lol:

No one has yet mentioned one of the most important pieces of safety equipment: a race radio powerful enough to reach back to camp. You can contact someone in camp immediately and if they have the parts and tools, they can arrive in a matter of minutes with cordless tools, floor jacks, new parts, fresh beverages, a sense of humor and after a little ribbing and wrenching, you're back up and running in no time.

I'm not saying I'm McGyver, but quite often what seems like a no-brainer appears to never come to other people. For example, always carry a snatch strap in addition to 2 tow straps. You can use the tow strap hooked to the roof of your vehicle and to the rear of another vehicle pointed away from the side of your car and it can tip your car up, like a floor jack, except without having to carry a floor jack. If you do need to get towed, the snatch strap will stretch and allow for a much smoother tow, in addition to allowing the tow vehicle to hit it harder and snatch you up and out of a rut or get up to towing speed much easier than from a dead stop and trying to ease into it.

As mentioned above, you should have all of the common spare parts that are prone to breakage back in camp, then you can just call on the radio and someone in camp can bring out the parts and tools to help get you fixed asap. A piece of thin plywood can be used like a ski in case you have to 3 wheel it back to camp but the suspension keeps digging in.   

The trick is to think of the best way to handle the situation within the first few minutes. It seems like some people come up with their best ideas 5 hrs later, right at sundown. I've seen 2 Polaris 900s hooked together to help pull a sandrail out of a very deep bowl, then 1 of them towed it back to camp via sand highway. A lot of people are scared to tow other vehicles, thinking they're going to burn up a clutch or blow up their tranny. The reality is, they're doing more damage to their clutch feathering while pulling in or out of their trailer. Once the clutch is engaged (way before the 2 tow straps and snatch strap is tight) the tow vehicle uses it's mass and momentum to pull the towee up to speed, after that, it's just duning and if they're doing it right, there's no extra strain on the drivetrain, it's just going with the flow of  the terrain.

I'd also recommend carrying most of the tools for simple repairs in the dunes, including some spray ether and some matches (especially if you or others don't have beadlocks), maybe a small compressor, a few extra nuts and bolts, a few extra fuses for others, since you should be using resettable breakers, hint hint.  ;) 

Don't forget medical emergencies. A lot of people are diabetic these days, so I learned the hard way one trip to always have some OJ in the cooler, just in case. We should all carry bandages, antiseptic, tape, wet wipes, etc. I hope this helps!

So I assume this is in addition to a super strap? The super strap does stretch and I have never used anything else. I guess this is what you mean and has more stretch.

2 hours ago, onanysunday said:

So I assume this is in addition to a super strap? The super strap does stretch and I have never used anything else. I guess this is what you mean and has more stretch.

I think a Super Strap is like a snatch strap. Maybe some snatch straps stretch a little more but it works the same.

This thread is going into the McScrappbook.  Downright slapptacious info, this is what Slap loves about GD.com folks.  

XX on vice grips.  Used them many times for "get home repairs"

IMG_20161203_130537917.jpg

On 12/21/2018 at 11:34 PM, Dunelover said:

XX on vice grips.  Used them many times for "get home repairs"

Dunelover, sorry for the late reply.  A picture is worth a thousand words, and that photo really caught my attention tonight.  I rushed outside and climbed into my truck bed to verify that my dunes tool box had a vice grips.  It did NOT!  So I went back in the garage and got them from another toolbox.  I already had the zip ties.  BUT I NEVER WOULD HAVE IMAGINED DOING THIS combo fix without your photo.  So thanks very much!!

On 12/20/2018 at 3:17 PM, Air450 said:

There's a tow company by the vendors that will come and get you.

Don't know if ^^^ # is still good. But I have a # of a co J & M Towing 760 351 0400 and don't know if it is current either?

760-351-0400 is the same number I have in my phone too...

On 12/21/2018 at 2:35 PM, SANDPSYCHO said:

This is good advice but what is better and I feel more important then the stupid helmet the libtards make you wear, is wrist restraints. Literally less then 5 seconds to put on and you don't have to remember not to put your hand where they will get crushed. Even more, in a violent roll over where you are not going to be able to keep your arms in or hang on, they will do it for you.  They are cheap and after a very short time you forget you have them on. Trust me on this on hand and wrist surgery suck and sometime those surgeries are to remove parts that can be saved. There is absolutely no valid reason to not have them. In our cars you wear them or you walk.

X2 on the wrist straps.  Probably the most common injury in sand car and SxS rollovers....smashed hands.  I've seen several first hand and they are painfull! Life changing sometimes.  All four seats have them in my car and it doesn't go into gear until they are in place.  They are cheap insurance!

~jw

Here is one we did Friday.  Sand was still wet under the top layer of sand.  After a few cars would go through  corner it would get pretty deep ruts.  This took an hour to fix.  Got out of my car, saw what had broken on buddys rail.  Had the upper arm off the car in 10 mins and I took the upper arm back to camp.  I welded it back together and added a gusset. (don't judge my welds, the generator was not happy about it...)  Drove back out and put it back on.  We continued our ride and had no issues the rest of the trip.  Gusseted the other arm while we were at it on the opposite side.

1152948727_ScreenShot2018-12-31at9_53_51AM.thumb.png.e34e962a399b5ae9d71d10d840a89c6c.png1462094855_ScreenShot2018-12-31at9_53_21AM.thumb.png.698eb429f3b6833a2f944bc749f2af64.png 

Edited by r3meyer

Remember, you only have to carry every tool in your box if you go it alone. 

Go out with a group and somebody will probably have what you need. Like wise you may be the only person in the group with what they need. 

It always seems to get resolved and a great camp fire tale later. 

Be safe and have great fun, what it's all about.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:30 AM, Richard H said:

Remember, you only have to carry every tool in your box if you go it alone. 

Go out with a group and somebody will probably have what you need. Like wise you may be the only person in the group with what they need. 

It always seems to get resolved and a great camp fire tale later. 

Be safe and have great fun, what it's all about.

I agree with you Richard, but I don't have a group.  I was in Wash 10 on the 31st, alone.  Also, I stay in hotels.  I joined this forum to see if members were organizing meetups.  Maybe that will happen with time.  Next time I go out I'll have a tow strap and a spare belt.  I need to learn how to change the belt first because I found out the other day that unlike the X3, multiple things have to be removed to change the belt on an XC.  If any Phoenix area members are excellent at working on Can Am's, let me know because I'll pay you for showing me how in person.  I realize there are some Youtube videos on this, but I want to do it with someone who knows how to do it.

14 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

I agree with you Richard, but I don't have a group.  I was in Wash 10 on the 31st, alone.  Also, I stay in hotels.  I joined this forum to see if members were organizing meetups.  Maybe that will happen with time.  Next time I go out I'll have a tow strap and a spare belt.  I need to learn how to change the belt first because I found out the other day that unlike the X3, multiple things have to be removed to change the belt on an XC.  If any Phoenix area members are excellent at working on Can Am's, let me know because I'll pay you for showing me how in person.  I realize there are some Youtube videos on this, but I want to do it with someone who knows how to do it.

Go out today and buy two new belts. take them home and change out the belt on your car. Do it in the controlled environment of your garage with all of your tools available. Once done take inventory of all the tools you used  and make sure they are in the car from this point on. Take the belt you took off your in car spare, leave one in your truck so you always have a spare after you change your belt.

Doing it yourself in the controlled environment will make it much easier to do in the dunes the next time you have to.  Watch the Youtube video several times, If you get stuck go back inside watch it again and again. Your going to be better off in the long run just doing it yourself and doing it at home .

16 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

We should get together next season and hit the dunes! (I'd say this season but I'm just gearing up to go work in Northern CA on a fire cleanup job for 6 months) 

My group has dwindled down lately so I find myself carrying more and more tools/parts. I carry a small wire feed welder in my RV, it gets a lot of flack from a lot of people. BUT for 100 bucks at harbor freight it hasn't let me down in 8 years and numerous repair jobs in the dunes. Another favorite tool is harbor freights electric angle grinders, cheap enough to leave in the RV or trailer all the time, rather than transfer from garage to trailer every trip. (I'm cheap sometimes LOL) 

I don't know about the other SXS's but my YXZ seems to like to eat stock tie rods. So that is another part I like to carry in the trailer as a spare. 

Everyone else has done a killer job of throwing out ideas and suggestions, I learned a few things scrolling through here. There is more than one was to skin a cat, and more than one RIGHT way as well! 

3 hours ago, mcglamis13 said:

We should get together next season and hit the dunes! (I'd say this season but I'm just gearing up to go work in Northern CA on a fire cleanup job for 6 months) 

My group has dwindled down lately so I find myself carrying more and more tools/parts. I carry a small wire feed welder in my RV, it gets a lot of flack from a lot of people. BUT for 100 bucks at harbor freight it hasn't let me down in 8 years and numerous repair jobs in the dunes. Another favorite tool is harbor freights electric angle grinders, cheap enough to leave in the RV or trailer all the time, rather than transfer from garage to trailer every trip. (I'm cheap sometimes LOL) 

I don't know about the other SXS's but my YXZ seems to like to eat stock tie rods. So that is another part I like to carry in the trailer as a spare. 

Everyone else has done a killer job of throwing out ideas and suggestions, I learned a few things scrolling through here. There is more than one was to skin a cat, and more than one RIGHT way as well! 

Thanks for your message.  Good luck with your work in Northern CA.  BTW I was thinking the YXZ was the one I SHOULD HAVE bought.  But your message indicates that even they can have their issues.  

On 12/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, Drupanddown said:

This ^^

Our group helped theses guys out, things they were lacking was a plan and fresh legs. Four out five sxs were stuck, each guy had a different idea how to get them out. When we rolled up we made our own plan told the guys to get in your sxs and gas it when we say hit it. I would say less then 15-20mins they were all out. To many chiefs not enough Indians with bit of panic.

350ABB60-C41C-4615-8EB4-EA355CCAD405.jpeg

What in the shit?  How do you get a SxS stuck on level ground...?  Talent right there...

On 1/3/2019 at 6:03 AM, MWB said:

Go out today and buy two new belts. take them home and change out the belt on your car. Do it in the controlled environment of your garage with all of your tools available. Once done take inventory of all the tools you used  and make sure they are in the car from this point on. Take the belt you took off your in car spare, leave one in your truck so you always have a spare after you change your belt.

Doing it yourself in the controlled environment will make it much easier to do in the dunes the next time you have to.  Watch the Youtube video several times, If you get stuck go back inside watch it again and again. Your going to be better off in the long run just doing it yourself and doing it at home .

Most of us have "buggy" or "Jeep" tools.  Before leaving for the Rubicon, I needed to change an axle seal and a driveshaft, so I forced myself to do it with JUST the tools I kept in the Jeep.  Found out some of my cheap sockets weren't up to snuff, and that I was missing some items.  The nice tools you have in your garage may not be the nice tools you keep in your vehicle.  :bigrin 

In addition to the proverbial Vice Grips, I like to keep a set of these guys:

442G-2_d1567dc5-c5f2-4184-81a6-2268eb486

They reasonably emulate a wrench in a pinch and don't completely destroy the fastener in the process.

2 trips in a row we've come across some poor dude with a mechanical who was last in line and his group left him.  Both groups were heading to China Wall and knew they were down a guy, but didn't bother to stop and backtrack.  First guy we came across had been there for hours with no reception and a broken tie rod.  Second dude had a broken trans in his quad and we were able to find his group.  Lessons learned from these guys:

1. If you have them, MAKE SURE THE FIRST AND LAST GUY HAVE RADIOS!!!  

2. Try to take care of your own group so others don't donate parts to someone they'll never see again.  I did this for the guy with a broken tie rod and it sucks.  If you don't like the guy, tell him you don't want to ride with them anymore because once you start a ride, everyone in that group is family.  Don't ditch someone as it's the same as leaving trash behind: someone has to deal with it, even if it's not you.   Do whatever it takes to get everyone in your group home.  Period.  

17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

What in the shit?  How do you get a SxS stuck on level ground...?  Talent right there...

Most of us have "buggy" or "Jeep" tools.  Before leaving for the Rubicon, I needed to change an axle seal and a driveshaft, so I forced myself to do it with JUST the tools I kept in the Jeep.  Found out some of my cheap sockets weren't up to snuff, and that I was missing some items.  The nice tools you have in your garage may not be the nice tools you keep in your vehicle.  :bigrin 

In addition to the proverbial Vice Grips, I like to keep a set of these guys:

442G-2_d1567dc5-c5f2-4184-81a6-2268eb486

They reasonably emulate a wrench in a pinch and don't completely destroy the fastener in the process.

2 trips in a row we've come across some poor dude with a mechanical who was last in line and his group left him.  Both groups were heading to China Wall and knew they were down a guy, but didn't bother to stop and backtrack.  First guy we came across had been there for hours with no reception and a broken tie rod.  Second dude had a broken trans in his quad and we were able to find his group.  Lessons learned from these guys:

1. If you have them, MAKE SURE THE FIRST AND LAST GUY HAVE RADIOS!!!  

2. Try to take care of your own group so others don't donate parts to someone they'll never see again.  I did this for the guy with a broken tie rod and it sucks.  If you don't like the guy, tell him you don't want to ride with them anymore because once you start a ride, everyone in that group is family.  Don't ditch someone as it's the same as leaving trash behind: someone has to deal with it, even if it's not you.   Do whatever it takes to get everyone in your group home.  Period.  

Some of Rockwood's finest right there ^^^

Leave no man/machine behind!!