Sign in to follow this  
confyushus

Permit Ticket

Hey everyone, I have tried to sign up for the site for a while but have not been able, so I am really excited to finally be a member here! Anyways, I was out in Glamis over Thanksgiving (like every year) and was given a $455 ticket for not having my weekly permit displayed. I was airing down at the dumpsters and the permit was in my front seat, I had bought it online a couple weeks before the trip. Has anyone here disputed/fought this type of ticket? I am from SC and asked to do a trial by declaration through the mail but was told that I couldn't because it is a non-traffic citation, pay the fine or show up to court. Any help or advise would be thoroughly appreciated.

Sorry to hear this, good luck.

back of sticker paper says where to display the sticker.  Your fault for not following the directions.  Pay up

Who told you that trial by declaration is not possible? If it was the guy that scratched out the ticket I'd definitely call and verify.

Were you present when he wrote the ticket?  Did you talk with him?

Next year just buy the season pass.  Its cheaper then the fine.  

Welcome to the site.  

That’s pretty  brutal  if you atvthe dumpsters and had a legit pass on the front seat and got a tix . Was there confrontation between the 2 of you ?  From the start ? 

2 hours ago, confyushus said:

Hey everyone, I have tried to sign up for the site for a while but have not been able, so I am really excited to finally be a member here! Anyways, I was out in Glamis over Thanksgiving (like every year) and was given a $455 ticket for not having my weekly permit displayed. I was airing down at the dumpsters and the permit was in my front seat, I had bought it online a couple weeks before the trip. Has anyone here disputed/fought this type of ticket? I am from SC and asked to do a trial by declaration through the mail but was told that I couldn't because it is a non-traffic citation, pay the fine or show up to court. Any help or advise would be thoroughly appreciated.

Wow what a dick move on the part of the LEO, If you were with the vehicle, and it was on your seat that was really a dick move on his part.  As far as trial by declaration I would write the court show picture of the pass explain that you are in SC .  Worst thing they could do is say no.

I called the Brawley courthouse (the people there were surprisingly nice) and the guy I spoke with went and checked and was told that because it is a non-traffic citation, trial by declaration is not possible. the officer drove over and asked if I knew why he was there, I said I have my permit right here, grabbed it from the front seat and held it up as he was looking under and around my truck. I was with my truck/camper the whole time, aside from when he searched the truck, I consented as I had nothing to hide and hoped he would be easy on me. I tried to be respectful and courteous to both officers the whole time. The other officer who was asked to stand with me (I assume to make sure I didn't attack anyone or something crazy) was a really nice guy, he talked to me like a normal person and didn't seem to care about whatever I had done at all.

What a dickhead. You got screwed, I understand it says your pass should be displayed but most placards tell you not to drive with them hanging. This BLM guy get the Mcpenis award of the year if you ask me.  

I think they do this to out of stater's. We had a guy in our camp with Alaska plates with the pass hanging on the mirror and they came by at 2:30 am and wrote a ticket. He went to them on the day you can fight them and he showed up showed them the pass and they just said, "OK dismissed". No ?'s asked. He wanted to let them know what happened but I think they knew.

That really sucks!

can someone be there to represent you in court or do you have to appear?

Very typical of the BLM assclowns. They are all rejected applicants from real law enforcement agencies. 

You could have a lawyer represent you. 

Find a way to fight the ticket maybe somebody can do it for you don't pay the fine...

I believe if it's a federal ticket you can have the court appearance transferred to a  federal court near your home

This info should be on the back of the ticket,

I got one a few years back  and did not find out this was an option until after I paid the fine 

Good luck

hope you still have the pass take a pic of it send it back with ticket.IMO thats an a hole ranger for sure just looking to add a number to contacts.

11 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

Find a way to fight the ticket maybe somebody can do it for you don't pay the fine...

Lawyers have written and passed laws (most politician are lawyers) that only a lawyer can represent another person in court. 

11 hours ago, 500 MIKE said:

I believe if it's a federal ticket you can have the court appearance transferred to a  federal court near your home

This info should be on the back of the ticket,

I got one a few years back  and did not find out this was an option until after I paid the fine 

Good luck

It depends on what the assclown does. It can be at Brawley Superior Court or the federal court in El Centro. 

Either way fight it, they are so bad, untrained and clueless how to do real police work they issue tickets that you can beat just by making them show up and testify. They don't even posses the basic knowledge of the rules of arrest.  These idiots are out there messing with peoples lives and they don't even have the basic knowledge required to graduate a police academy, let alone get through a field training program. 

I have pretty much decided that I am going to show up for court, if I still have to pay it then at least I tried. It is at the brawley courthouse so I don't think it's federal and I'm pretty sure hiring a lawyer might cost more than the ticket. I am just going to show up with receipts and vehicle codes and as much info as possible. Thanks everyone for all the help and support so far, if you have any suggestions or any recommendations please let me know. This has been a great site and I am so glad I was finally able to sign up!

8 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Lawyers have written and passed laws (most politician are lawyers) that only a lawyer can represent another person in court. 

Another reason why no matter how carefully you try to follow the law, we are all in “non-compliance” of some damn law all the time. The lawyers have made us all criminals so they can have a job. Too bad the BLM was a dickweed and helped further their already poor reputation. Good luck.

I don't understand how they can give you a ticket if you aren't even parked and camping yet. What a bunch of BS.  Also, on what grounds did they search your truck? WTF

16 minutes ago, spize909 said:

I don't understand how they can give you a ticket if you aren't even parked and camping yet. What a bunch of BS.  Also, on what grounds did they search your truck? WTF

Officers word against yours, unless you have a selfie with the permit during the stop.  Your screwed. Paying the system will be cheaper than traveling to fight it with a lawyer.  A nice welcoming to CA .ehhhh!

I'd file a complaint and move on.  Our group in the past have been pulled over for HID lights on pick ups, no front liscense plates etc,  and then the infamous ketchup BOTTLE warning in camp.  It has gotten alot better over the years.

Good luck and welcome here

1 hour ago, confyushus said:

I have pretty much decided that I am going to show up for court, if I still have to pay it then at least I tried. It is at the brawley courthouse so I don't think it's federal and I'm pretty sure hiring a lawyer might cost more than the ticket. I am just going to show up with receipts and vehicle codes and as much info as possible. Thanks everyone for all the help and support so far, if you have any suggestions or any recommendations please let me know. This has been a great site and I am so glad I was finally able to sign up!

Good for you!  This thread made me think of an incident that occurred a couple of years ago. I was coming back from Brawley on a parts run, after making a right on Gecko I was pulled over just after passing the ranger station. The officer stated that he was checking for a pass and that a pass must be properly displayed. I produced my pass and asked if I was being directed to obscure my vision by hanging the pass on the mirror while in motion? After returning to his vehicle the officer returned to me, thanked me for my service (military designation on my plates) and told me to have a nice day without answering the question of having the pass displayed while driving.

This thread got me thinking, that was my first trip to Glamis with out of state plates (Idaho). According to the information you've provided I think you should show up for court. Bring a copy of state laws pertaining to obstructing your vision while driving. An explanation along with the state regs should have you out of there with favorable ruling in no time, I'm sure they're betting you don't show up.

Edited by BaBaBouy

I’m glad you decided to go up the court house. I think there have been enough BS cases out there that even the judges know most of these guys are crappy officers that do a crappy job enforcing  crappy laws.  Good luck.