I'm not a go-fund-me guy, more of a go-eff-you philosophy, if you end up jumping on your donkey and charging this windmill I'd be willing to kick in a few ducketts to offset your expense. 

Your pass will show when you bought it.  Was the violation for not having or not properly displaying? The VC on vision will help you with that one.  Judges are people too.

3 hours ago, realbadlarry said:

Your pass will show when you bought it.  Was the violation for not having or not properly displaying? The VC on vision will help you with that one.  Judges are people too.

some are blm's

19 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

some are blm's

We shipped all those up to Idaho to be  with the potato people....

From your version of the incident, the citing officer has you dead to rights. That's a stupid a$$ fine amount for what you're accused of. Good for you in deciding to fight it. Maybe you'll have a judge with some common sense.

Whoever cited you (BLM or ICSO) really missed a golden opportunity for an educational moment and a chance to build a stronger bond between his/her agency and the community they serve.

From the BLM web site concerning weekly permit display:

• This permit must be displayed properly in your vehicle at all times while in the required permit area of the ISDRA.
  • Place permit on your rear view mirror with the front side (date validation grid) clearly visible from outside your vehicle. Permits hidden by sun visors or screens are invalid.
  • Failure to properly display this permit while in the ISDRA will be punishable by citation and fine.

Good luck, confyushus. Please let us know how it turns out.

1 hour ago, SofaKing said:

From your version of the incident, the citing officer has you dead to rights. That's a stupid a$$ fine amount for what you're accused of. Good for you in deciding to fight it. Maybe you'll have a judge with some common sense.

Whoever cited you (BLM or ICSO) really missed a golden opportunity for an educational moment and a chance to build a stronger bond between his/her agency and the community they serve.

• This permit must be displayed properly in your vehicle at all times while in the required permit area of the ISDRA.
  • Place permit on your rear view mirror with the front side (date validation grid) clearly visible from outside your vehicle. Permits hidden by sun visors or screens are invalid.
  • Failure to properly display this permit while in the ISDRA will be punishable by citation and fine.

The guys that are around on the holiday weekends are shipped in from other states.  Last New Years we spoke with one from Wyoming and one from Colorado.  I think they get  list of hot ticket items to write people up for.  There are some that are stationed by the trashcans that do NOTHING BUT pass checking, tail lights, front license plates, etc.  Anything they get you for.  For entertainment we listen to the scanner around the campfire and its pretty entertaining.

4 hours ago, SofaKing said:

My buddy with a motor home that has no rear view mirror to hang it from got a ticket last trip to Gordons.  It was propped up on his dash.  Look at me BLM bastard taped the ticket right next to it on his windshield, so we know he saw it there.  What a POS thing to do.

It all comes down to what code you were accused of violating. The State code is a vehicle code, and is listed in the CVC, so it is fightable just as any other VC violation. If you get the county code violation, then they can make you appear, or pay the fine.  The county code is the nasty one to fight, as it lays it all out in the code.  

10.32.010 - Prohibition.
No person shall operate or park a motor vehicle on real property owned by or occupied by another without having and displaying written permission or a permit from the owner of such lands, his or her agent, or the person in lawful possession thereof allowing such use. The written permission or a permit must be displayed prominently, in plain view and attached to the rearview mirror or front windshield of the vehicle and in accordance with any and all additional requirements that may be prescribed by the owner of lands. A failure to comply with the display requirements as set forth in this section shall be deemed a violation of this chapter.(Ord. 1398 §§ 1, 2 (part), 2005)

This is why they can nail you for it not hanging exactly as it says. Your best course is to go to court and explain to the judge your ignorance of the law, but your attempt to comply, and ask that the fine be waived. Trust us locals when we say that the law is against you in IC, but you can still get a decent chance of a more favorable outcome from the judges. You just need to be willing to deal with the hassle of going to court. I've been to Brawley three times, and it never goes fast or smoothly. 

The offficer was BLM from CA, I actually have his business card but would rather not post any names or info until this is all over. The ticket states "no permit displayed", which I will admit that I was fully in violation of, but I feel like the sentence is a little harsh for the crime. Either way, I would rather have to pay more than just the ticket and get the chance to fight it than to just bend over and take it. Whichever way it goes I will definitely let everyone know how it ends up. I hope everyone has a good Christmas! 

On 12/21/2018 at 9:32 PM, 77charger said:

hope you still have the pass take a pic of it send it back with ticket.IMO thats an a hole ranger for sure just looking to add a number to contacts.

This.

A guy in our camp got a ticket for  no pass.  He was at the hospital with chest pains.

Pass was on his front seat.

Ranger said to send all documentation and pix with the ticket and it will more than likely get dismissed.

6 minutes ago, lincster said:

This.

A guy in our camp got a ticket for  no pass.  He was at the hospital with chest pains.

Pass was on his front seat.

Ranger said to send all documentation and pix with the ticket and it will more than likely get dismissed.

was he all set up in camp ?

Rather ironic that these people get a ticket yet some people can camp on top of the white line on Gecko with no pass and 2 assclowns don't do anything to him. Can't help but think they are paying off someone within the BLM.

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

4 hours ago, I'm Sorry said:

was he all set up in camp ?

Yes he was. 

On 12/22/2018 at 8:15 AM, mike dee said:

no front liscense plates 

One of the last big weekends I went on at the Trash can checkpoint I had some Ranger Richard ask me why I didn't have a front plate.  The look on his face when I said I didn't need one was pretty scary. Thought he was going to reach thru the window and drag me out of the truck.  I quickly finished the statement be saying I am from Arizona.  That was when the other Ranger that was looking over my truck and trailer gave the guy the ok to let me pass. 

It's funny I can drive all over town doesn't matter good part of town bad part middle of the night or middle of the day.  I can even make questionable stops before making a right , go five over just about anyplace except a School zone all the while having a Cop behind me and I don't even think twice that he is there.

I see a BLM truck enter a 1/4 mile area of where I am camping or even driving the other direction on Wash Road than I am traveling and I wonder.... What is he going to harass me about, what obscure law will he try and get me for. . Hell if I see them driving by the wash I am camping in  I think to my self I better take this opportunity to make sure nothing is out of line in my camp  or go hide for a while.

That is so wrong it's not even funny I shouldn't see them and think oh no I should be able to wave and smile, but I am afraid if I did they would just come over to see why I was being nice and then they would not be so nice.  I know it's not every time and it's not every Ranger but do you really want to take that chance of getting the littering ticket for the beer can that the wind just blew into your camp as he pulled up. I don't

6 minutes ago, MWB said:

One of the last big weekends I went on at the Trash can checkpoint I had some Ranger Richard ask me why I didn't have a front plate.  The look on his face when I said I didn't need one was pretty scary. Thought he was going to reach thru the window and drag me out of the truck.  I quickly finished the statement be saying I am from Arizona.  That was when the other Ranger that was looking over my truck and trailer gave the guy the ok to let me pass. 

It's funny I can drive all over town doesn't matter good part of town bad part middle of the night or middle of the day.  I can even make questionable stops before making a right , go five over just about anyplace except a School zone all the while having a Cop behind me and I don't even think twice that he is there.

I see a BLM truck enter a 1/4 mile area of where I am camping or even driving the other direction on Wash Road than I am traveling and I wonder.... What is he going to harass me about, what obscure law will he try and get me for. . Hell if I see them driving by the wash I am camping in  I think to my self I better take this opportunity to make sure nothing is out of line in my camp  or go hide for a while.

That is so wrong it's not even funny I shouldn't see them and think oh no I should be able to wave and smile, but I am afraid if I did they would just come over to see why I was being nice and then they would not be so nice.  I know it's not every time and it's not every Ranger but do you really want to take that chance of getting the littering ticket for the beer can that the wind just blew into your camp as he pulled up. I don't

You're not alone. 

Great post MWB point expressed very well. Been going to Glamis most major holidays since 1980 and I’ve always thought my trailer had a hidden sign saying  BLM turn around and stop too harass me, have many stories that could be told.

"HJ"

2 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

You're not alone. 

They might stop by some day just to give you the Nice Personality Award. You never know until it happens.

On 12/22/2018 at 5:29 PM, Kat-A-Tonic said:

My buddy with a motor home that has no rear view mirror to hang it from got a ticket last trip to Gordons.  It was propped up on his dash.  Look at me BLM bastard taped the ticket right next to it on his windshield, so we know he saw it there.  What a POS thing to do.

That is such crap.  on my motor home i always just cover the vin# with the pass.  Figured it would be harder to say they didnt see it that way.  

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

They might stop by some day just to give you the Nice Personality Award. You never know until it happens.

Well we know it will never happen to you.

3 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Well we know it will never happen to you.

That was pretty mean. I at least gave you the benefit of the doubt, even though we all know better.

Merry Christmas, Grinch!     :cheers:

below is the California vehicle code pertaining to obstructions .

seems that hanging a pass from the rear view mirror while in operation of a moving vehicle would qualify as an obstruction . 

(a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver’s clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors that are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials that are displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials that are displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials that are displayed in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows that are to the rear of the driver.

(5) Direction, destination, or terminus signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver’s clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and that occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and that provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle’s front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than five inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

(12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

(13) (A) A video event recorder with the capability of monitoring driver performance to improve driver safety, which may be mounted in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, or in a five-inch square mounted to the center uppermost portion of the interior of the windshield. As used in this section, “video event recorder” means a video recorder that continuously records in a digital loop, recording audio, video, and G-force levels, but saves video only when triggered by an unusual motion or crash or when operated by the driver to monitor driver performance.

(B) A vehicle equipped with a video event recorder shall have a notice posted in a visible location which states that a passenger’s conversation may be recorded.

(C) Video event recorders shall store no more than 30 seconds before and after a triggering event.

(D) The registered owner or lessee of the vehicle may disable the device.

(E) The data recorded to the device is the property of the registered owner or lessee of the vehicle.

(F) When a person is driving for hire as an employee in a vehicle with a video event recorder, the person’s employer shall provide unedited copies of the recordings upon the request of the employee or the employee’s representative. These copies shall be provided free of charge to the employee and within five days of the request.

(14) (A) A video event recorder in a commercial motor vehicle with the capability of monitoring driver performance to improve driver safety, which may be mounted no more than two inches below the upper edge of the area swept by the windshield wipers, and outside the driver’s sight lines to the road and highway signs and signals. Subparagraphs (B) to (F), inclusive, of paragraph (13) apply to the exemption provided by this paragraph.

(B) Except as provided in subparagraph (C), subparagraph (A) shall become inoperative on the following dates, whichever date is later:

(i) The date that the Department of the California Highway Patrol determines is the expiration date of the exemption from the requirements of paragraph (1) of subdivision (e) of Section 393.60 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, as renewed in the notice of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on pages 21791 and 21792 of Volume 76 of the Federal Register (April 18, 2011).

(ii) The date that the Department of the California Highway Patrol determines is the expiration date for a subsequent renewal of an exemption specified in clause (i).

(C) Notwithstanding subparagraph (B), subparagraph (A) shall become operative on the date that the Department of the California Highway Patrol determines is the effective date of regulations revising paragraph (1) of subdivision (e) of Section 393.60 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations to allow the placement of a video event recorder at the top of the windshield on a commercial motor vehicle.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver’s seat when measured from a point five inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver’s seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS–14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

(e) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the windshield, side, or rear windows of a motor vehicle if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS–14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by a licensed dermatologist certifying that the person should not be exposed to ultraviolet rays because of a medical condition that necessitates clear, colorless, and transparent film material to be installed on the windshield, side, or rear windows.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

(Amended by Stats. 2017, Ch. 210, Sec. 1. (AB 1303) Effective January 1, 2018.)

Hey everyone, I have stayed off here and tried to keep all this off my mind for the last few weeks but I am flying out to san diego and driving to brawley Thursday night/Friday morning. I have tried to contact the DA and they have no record of the citation, either because the blm hasn't turned it in (they apparently have a year) or because it isn't a serious enough offense to be in their system, they weren't sure which. I have the vehicle code on obstructed views printed out and a screenshot from Google maps printed to show where I was. I am probably going to have to pay the ticket in the end, but I'm sure as hell fighting it the whole way. Thank you all again for all the help with everything, I will FOR SURE let you know how it goes. 

43 minutes ago, confyushus said:

Hey everyone, I have stayed off here and tried to keep all this off my mind for the last few weeks but I am flying out to san diego and driving to brawley Thursday night/Friday morning. I have tried to contact the DA and they have no record of the citation, either because the blm hasn't turned it in (they apparently have a year) or because it isn't a serious enough offense to be in their system, they weren't sure which. I have the vehicle code on obstructed views printed out and a screenshot from Google maps printed to show where I was. I am probably going to have to pay the ticket in the end, but I'm sure as hell fighting it the whole way. Thank you all again for all the help with everything, I will FOR SURE let you know how it goes. 

Sorry. Prime example of enforcing the letter of the law vs the spirit of it. You would think an agency like the blm would not want to discourage paying customers from visiting the lands that pay their pensions. But as typical federal employees they dgaf. An agency there to serve and protect the people paying their pensions would see the incentive and good will in enforcing the spirit of the law. Unfortunately the blm is full of a bunch of tyrants that mean to subjugate the public rather than serve them

2 hours ago, confyushus said:

Do not I repeat DO NOT give the court a copy of the citation. They will use it to go forward with the case. Have a copy with the officers name blacked out. The violation blacked out and the cite number. The number can be used to track who was issued the cite book. 

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

2 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Do not I repeat DO NOT give the court a copy of the citation. They will use it to go forward with the case. Have a copy with the officers name blacked out. The violation blacked out and the cite number. The number can be used to track who was issued the cite book. 

THIS / 100 Percent...….It is not your job to provide them that info! You are going WAY OUT OF YOUR WAY...…...Let them do their jobs...Do NOT help them concvict you of the :bs: ticket you were issued......You shouldn't even need a pass to access the land you as a citizen are supposed to be able to access..(that's another strory altogether)

This is SOO WRONG on so many levels!

:poule: