BCannon

Disposing of old gas

So I have an old truck that the gas made it’s way into the engine block. I drained all the gas/oil mix (4 gallons worth!). What the hell do I do with it now? I’m in the Phoenix AZ area. Auto parts stores will take oil only. No gas. Anyone want to fill a smudge pot? :dunno:

you could leave it in an open container, it will evap after a while

Had the same thing happen to my old Mustang. It’s amazing how difficult it is to get rid of bad gas. It almost seems like they want you to get frustrated and just dump it down the drain. That would be wrong though. Smudge pot or evaporation are probably the best suggestions.

I had some nasty old, stinky gas that had been sitting in a quad for over a year. I had same issue trying to get rid of it. Then I decided to just start mixing it into my lawn mower half a tank at a time with some good gas and the mower seems to like it ? 

13 minutes ago, i8sand said:

I had some nasty old, stinky gas that had been sitting in a quad for over a year. I had same issue trying to get rid of it. Then I decided to just start mixing it into my lawn mower half a tank at a time with some good gas and the mower seems to like it ? 

the op said it has oil mixed into it 

You should have a local hazardous waste disposal site that will take it. Every Saturday morning my city has a site that they will take up to 5 gallons of any chemical that needs to be disposed of.

44 minutes ago, i8sand said:

X2, add some seafoam to it the mower will work fine

16 hours ago, realbadlarry said:

you could leave it in an open container, it will evap after a while

I have a friend that has a auto transmission shop and when he cleaned out this cleaning machine they charged him a fortune to get rid of it, so he got a bunch of 55 gal barrels and would dump it into them until the liquid would evaporate then pay them to take the solid stuff. Saved him a ton of money.  DON~~~

Great ignition for fire pit and camp fires.

Small amounts of course, key is to use it up before you end up with 5 gallons like a person i know. :bag:

Post in the free section of craigslist. I hear it will go fast. I mix mine a little at a time with used motor oil. The parts stores and walmart take that.

It's the west side.  Just start a burn barrel in the middle of the street.  No one will mind.

It's the west side.  Just start a burn barrel in the middle of the street.  No one will mind.

This , but put some of those fake feet sticking up out of it.....that will make the cops laugh....no really they will.....

Wrap it in a Amazon box and leave it on your porch.

2 minutes ago, Stugots said:

Wrap it in a Amazon box and leave it on your porch.

Ding ding ding we have a winner, chicken dinner!

Another thing you can do split it into 2, 5 gallon bucks and fill it with Spec mix, it will harden then you can chuck it into a dumpster as a solid.

while we are on the subject, anyway to get rid of soapy water, from my Spray Tank 

holds about 40 gallons of water and sludge oil is about 4 gallons do not want to let it evaporate, just takes to long, anything affordable to mix with it to solid it up  

14 hours ago, J Alper said:

while we are on the subject, anyway to get rid of soapy water, from my Spray Tank 

holds about 40 gallons of water and sludge oil is about 4 gallons do not want to let it evaporate, just takes to long, anything affordable to mix with it to solid it up  

Put it in a few open 55 gal drums and it will go fast. DON~~~

23 hours ago, CarWashGuru said:

You should have a local hazardous waste disposal site that will take it. Every Saturday morning my city has a site that they will take up to 5 gallons of any chemical that needs to be disposed of.

X2..  I live in Upland and every Saturday you can go to the city yard and they will take it.