onanysunday

SxS for desert and mountains only? - And what is my 900 worth

I am getting the bug to sell my 2011 xp900 turbo and upgrade. Desert and mountains only. No dunes. My car now has 120 hp and I run it in 4wd most of the time. It is a blast and like a little rally car. Of course we know the suspension is better on the newer cars.  Not sure what my car is worth but would guess in the $10-$11k range.  I am thinking the HP level of the Textron wildcat xx or the new Honda might be enough power for the desert. I like the idea of something a little more rugged that I can beat on in the rocks. Really would like to keep it at $10k out of pocket.  This is just thinking and no rush. Still have to get approval from :nag:. So a used rzr, can am, wildcat xx,  talon? The only other car I have driven is an xp1000 non turbo in the dunes. Suspension was plush but in that application felt like a marshmellow and needed a swaybar. I think I would like it in the desert. Also thoughts on my car. 3345 miles. Factory installed MCX LOW boost 5.5 psi kit. Very easy on the motor but really wakes it up. Not long ago I did a bad ass gusset kit in the front and put in the best ball joints I could find.  It is nice aftermarket cage I had powdercoated and installed. (My Baja designs light would not go with the car) Turbo was installed much later and does not have a lot of miles since the install. Bought it from Iron City and they said the original owner maintained with an open checkbook. Only difference from the pics is I put a like new set of 28" Roctanes on the beadlocks and have not even driven the car yet. Also has nice aftermarket doors.  (Don't remember the brand). I bought and installed the graphic kit.

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3175.JPG

Edited by onanysunday

what hasn't the 900 done that you want to do? have you had issues with the 900 using it where you do? 

5 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

what hasn't the 900 done that you want to do? have you had issues with the 900 using it where you do? 

Up in the rocks at Mormon Lake it does ride pretty rough and I am thinking the newer cars have better suspension? Just from driving that xp1000 in the dunes it felt more plush. I do like how small my 900 is and space it takes up in the garage. 

Edit: I am sure tire size and brand helps the ride a lot in the desert. Tires in the pics are Motoclaws and even with 5 pounds they ride like a brick. DOT approved tire that will never go flat. I put the Roctanes on to try smooth it out. I am thinking the newer cars with bigger tires will ride better with a larger tire. One thing about the Honda Talon, it looks like very small tires on it.

Edited by onanysunday

I personally think you would be wasting your time and money. Have your shocks done buy a good guy and you won’t look back.  I had the same car and did the suspension it was such a change in ride that my wife noticed it. 

I sold my car to a buddy that has a $55,000 4 seat 1000 RZR total SDR build.  He’s pretty much parked that car and he’s tearing up his desert with my old car.  

4 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

I personally think you would be wasting your time and money. Have your shocks done buy a good guy and you won’t look back.  I had the same car and did the suspension it was such a change in ride that my wife noticed it. 

I sold my car to a buddy that has a $55,000 4 seat 1000 RZR total SDR build.  He’s pretty much parked that car and he’s tearing up his desert with my old car.  

Shocks actually work very well and I think the previous owner had them reworked. I am sure it could be better.

Power steering is the other thing that would be really nice. When I duned this car a couple of times I moved the seat slightly forward trying to get more leverage on the wheel.

Just have the shocks dialed in...….Put in Jet Trim Seats...…..add the powersteering…...Squatcher had a 900 with those options and it was like a lazy boy!

A LOT less $$$ and you already know that SXS you have...…….

:poule:

Power steering is plug and play with the '11. I sold kits in the past. Check ebay. You will need the electric unit, bracket and new steering shafts.

The short wheelbase is the biggest issue with ride quality on the 900's I felt.

I sold a 900 a couple years ago and just picked up an X3 XRS and must say, no comparison in any way. Paid $25k out the door so if you can get $10k for yours.....

Edited by ahipara 55

I have to say I was not expecting comments saying keep my car. I do like the power. Plenty in the dirt.

2 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

Power steering is plug and play with the '11. I sold kits in the past. Check ebay. You will need the electric unit and new steering shafts.

The short wheelbase is the biggest issue with ride quality on the 900's I felt.

Looks like $600 and pretty easy to put on. 

Looks like the 2019 models will have 130 HP. Wonder if they have fixed the CV boot and axle issues.  https://dirtwheelsmag.com/2019-wildcat-xx-updates/

my neighbor has a wildcatxx...he uses it in Idaho and glamis, it is pretty amazing, tons of room inside, amazing suspension, easy to work on, It will be my next sxs.

1 hour ago, POULE43 said:

Just have the shocks dialed in...….Put in Jet Trim Seats...…..add the powersteering…...Squatcher had a 900 with those options and it was like a lazy boy!

A LOT less $$$ and you already know that SXS you have...…….

:poule:

X2  why spend that much more money.  How many miles do you put on a year.  1000.  I know you have had that 900 for at least 3 years.  it has 3300 miles on it and you bought it used.  so less than 1000 miles a year. so figure it cost you about 4 bucks a mile to have a new machine that you won't leave alone and spend another 5 grand on.  I know you.   lol.   just saying you are going to be closer to 18k difference.  and your 900 really does what you want just make it little better.  My 900 was killer and would leave 1000's in the dunes.  on the dirt shit crown king was fun. on a 900

Your 900 looks nice and well kept but there is now way it will compared to the new stuff. I’ve had them all 800 to turbos stock and fully built. I have a couple wildcats now and love them. I saw them in Idaho for 16k. That was a 2018. 

By looking at the pics, your XP900 shocks have different springs, but don’t look like duel rates with crossovers? My guess is they are RacerTech or UTV inc. Springs. My guess is there has been no internal work done to the shocks?? 

They are right about getting the shocks tuned and the difference it makes. I had Walker do the needle valve bypass and true duel rates with crossovers, and there is no comparison to stock or just springs. 

Regarding Powersteering, that’s another Huge improvement you can do. Again day/night improvement. Super ATV makes a nice kit, which I helped install in a friends RZR. Really easy to do. All plug & play. I also saw that Rocky Mountain ATV sells a RZR kit for about $100 cheaper then Super ATV. 

Another place for big improvement is the seats. Ditch the stock seats with a set of Aftermarket seats and you will be way more comfortable. Bert’s Mega Mall sells their own house brand of seats for $500 for a pair. Really nice seat for the money, and 10X better then stock. 

I bet for less then $2000 you could make your 900  do what your looking for. And you could do it in stages, PS, then Seats, then shocks if the first two stages did not make enough improvements for what your doing. 

I guess the big question is what my car would be worth and is it worth sinking more money into it. Just a quick search I found this for sale up in Denver. I am sure if I wait another one at this price will come up closer. Only 200 miles and they have added harnesses. https://denver.craigslist.org/snw/d/monument-2018-textron-wildcat-xx/6769233034.html  Last pic shows an invoice with about $1250 in upgrades on this particular car. If my car is only worth $10k and you figure putting $2k into mine we are only talking a $6k difference. 

Just broken in. 202 miles. 17.4 hours. Lots of extras. front and rear bumpers, upgraded springs, spare tire, bimini top, front and rear windshield, full harnesses.

00s0s_evfUUPZ1XKE_600x450.jpg

00303_2JrjBo77WEi_600x450.jpg

00e0e_cxzkJSyzkOs_600x450.jpg

00C0C_kJQMLnjBy3E_600x450.jpg

00m0m_9NIRarzOERv_600x450.jpg

00t0t_l9IaMccyuUb_600x450.jpg

00707_cFECPRx9sRX_600x450.jpg

01616_h9cPR73uEjk_600x450.jpg

00u0u_3tAunx1NpXC_600x450.jpg

Edited by onanysunday

looks like we are going to see a for sale add on a turbo 900

If and when I replace my RZR, the WildcatXX will be very high on my list. At $17.5 that seems to be s good price. I’m waiting for April to see what the 4 seater is going to look and cost. 

But a few items they list like front & rear bumpers, spare tire & rear window I don’t see in the pictures. On the invoice it also shows mirrors. Some pictures show factory seat belts, others show PRP belts. Is this the actual XX being sold? 

Also you should probably check and see if you can get a manufacture extended warranty on it, being the second owner?  For one, why are they selling it so soon with only 200 miles? The 18 was the first year and their were some teething issues. Are the owners dumping it due to some issues with it? It would be very interesting to see how many times it might have been back to the dealer, or how many warranty claims were filed against it. 

Your saving a few grand by buying used, but is that few grand worth it, if you can’t get any warranty or manufacture support, if you do  have issues?  Also figure your time & expense going to Denver & back. 

Just now, NIKAL said:

If and when I replace my RZR, the WildcatXX will be very high on my list. At $17.5 that seems to be s good price. I’m waiting for April to see what the 4 seater is going to look and cost. 

But a few items they list like front & rear bumpers, spare tire & rear window I don’t see in the pictures. On the invoice it also shows mirrors. Some pictures show factory seat belts, others show PRP belts. Is this the actual XX being sold? 

Also you should probably check and see if you can get a manufacture extended warranty on it, being the second owner?  For one, why are they selling it so soon with only 200 miles? The 18 was the first year and their were some teething issues. Are the owners dumping it due to some issues with it? It would be very interesting to see how many times it might have been back to the dealer, or how many warranty claims were filed against it. 

Your saving a few grand by buying used, but is that few grand worth it, if you can’t get any warranty or manufacture support, if you do  have issues?  Also figure your time & expense going to Denver & back. 

I hear you on buying new vs used. But you also have all the tax and fees. Ends up probably being more like a $4k - $5k difference. I was reading up on the axle and cv boot problems and it seems many have had those issues early on within a few hundred miles. When it comes to an 18 model I think one with a few miles on it could be better. Then I would check the axle plunge and put the odds in my favor.  Of course warranty has covered some and with a second owner I am wondering if Textron would cover.

That was easy

2 hours ago, cek said:

that car is a demo unit with 300 miles on it. Out the door 21000 even. I might stick with a used unit and not have all the handling and tax

1 hour ago, onanysunday said:

that car is a demo unit with 300 miles on it. Out the door 21000 even. I might stick with a used unit and not have all the handling and tax

Sent you a PM