smerchan

Clickly CV's

What actually is happening when CV's click?  I hand some brand new top of the line CV's installed by somewhere who builds cars using Mantek grease and they click like crazy.  I added additional grease via the fittings and a needle point grease guns and no improvement.  I've had the car for many years using  GKN's with no issues servicing my myself.  

My head set fell off.

Too much angle is the number 1 reason. When the CVS are new and not clearanced. Make sure that they have "race" cages not stock cages. 

Time to prep them. Think of it like hearing a rod knock and adding more engine oil. Doesn't really help.

I would probably at least call the guy that did the work and ask what he put in there - Like LRS said, sounds like stock (non race prepped) CV's.   It's possible he put the cages in backward , that will make the CV's click as well.  Less likely, but maybe he "loosened up on your Limit straps (or left them off)  Great way to get CV stars worn on the edges if you are using all the travel,  then the clicking starts even when the CV is in the neutral position

My cvs click also, just started this last trip out. Only on acceleration. Took them apart and saw nothing out of the ordinary. The inners are EMPI "race prepped", the outers are stock GKN that Tatum installed in the midboards. 930 stuff of course.  The stars are not pitted or worn and the cages don't look like they have any wear marks. 

Is it time to buy the Fortin 300M stars and cages with smaller balls? My angles are actually pretty good, 20-22 at full droop. Also, the housings always look good, so is an EMPI housing with good 300M internals ok to do? 

I'm not in the market for 934 so don't suggest that please. 😩

Edited by fortyfour

Maybe just thin or not enough grease?

Are you sure it was your CV's?

R&P can make a clicking sound.

I'm fairly confident it is the cvs that are making the noise. The trans is an HV24 with only 2 trips on it, I drained the oil today and there wasn't much on the magnetic drain plug, then I had the wife rotate the engine over a few dozen times with a ratchet (🤣) while looking at the ring gear through the drain plug hole and didn't see anything odd there either. The noise is only on acceleration and is more related to wheel speed. I'd be surprised if it were something inside the new trans...

Do you have limit straps?

If so, adjust them up, less droop, put the car on jack stands, put it in gear and see what you can hear.

If it is quiet, give more droop and repeat.