Buggydave

Buggy VS Rzr?

48 minutes ago, Sndsamplr said:

I’m affraid to watch the vid.   I can only imagine what the families are going through. They are in my heart and prayers 

It’s pretty heartbreaking 

Back in the day a guy once said, "doesn't matter what you have, if you can't see, you can't go fast"..... of course we were talking about Walker Evans and Mint 400 dust....but it seems to hold true....if you can't see where you are going....why are you going so fast?

Ocotillo has gotten really bad....the washes during the day are friggen scary....we stay out now....and only travel on the high roads where we can see what is coming....

very sad that so many lives are permanently affected by this accident .

Clearly an accident. Why does blame need to be assigned? 

Clearly an avoidable accident. Why does common sense need to be applied? 

4 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Idk who is at fault here, but even in accidents someone is USUALLY at fault. That truck that went into the crowd at the drags was an accident, but he was still clearly at fault...

On 1/1/2019 at 12:39 PM, J Alper said:

this really sucks, but the SXS are really not that safe, we had a friend pass on Thanks giving that was not wearing a helmet and when he rolled his head hit the ground and it was over,  my condolences for the family

Was your friend wearing his seat belt?  Does it help to buy the racing/upgraded seat harnesses?  I can easily buy them if they help in rollovers.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Was your friend wearing his seat belt?  Does it help to buy the racing/upgraded seat harnesses?  I can easily buy them if they help in rollovers.

Absolutely.  I soft rolled with stock belts in a SxS.  Heard my vertebrae cracking as my head hit the sand, neck hurt for 2 months.  Did a full speed lawn dart endo with 4 point harnesses and was not even sore the next day.  The neck you save may be your own.

2 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Absolutely.  I soft rolled with stock belts in a SxS.  Heard my vertebrae cracking as my head hit the sand, neck hurt for 2 months.  Did a full speed lawn dart endo with 4 point harnesses and was not even sore the next day.  The neck you save may be your own.

Kat-A-Tonic, thanks so much for your personal story and comparison with and without harnesses.  I'm going to buy them ASAP, and hopefully have them installed by a Can Am dealer before my next trip to Glamis.

I know I don't need to say this because the GD.COM members on this site already say the same thing while sitting behind there computers reading all the updates...but I'm going to post anyways  .. First off My upmost condolences to the victims family and Friends that are all involved and affected by this horrific accident.   Including the bystanders that witnessed the scene first hand & the first responders that were involved with the assistance.  Its going to be a long road of both mental and physical recovery that these families are going to go through.   I hope all involved seek counseling to help and I hope the Go-Fund Me page keeps adding up.      GOD SPEED Mr. TREVOR ROLLINS       https://www.gofundme.com/trevor-rollins-memorial-fund?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fb_dn_cpgnstaticsmall_r

I've been around this type of scene first hand and it still plays back in my head clear as day 18 years later.:sad:  . 

I really don't like to post on such a sensitive topic & but just wondering a couple things.   For the guys that are on this site and actually jump off the top or up the top (& I know who some of you are) who are you using for a spotter at the Crestline ?  Do you drop off a buddy and have radio contact via handheld with him/her the WHOLE time?  or are you trusting the guy at the top drinking beers all day because he's not driving??

Who is Robby Gordon using for a spotter?

I went up Olds on 12/30 at night and lined up at the jump to go down.  I sat about 30 yards back and could Barley make out the guy waving is arm around for me to go.  I watched him wave at me about 10 times before I drove up to the lip.  I Did not know this guy nor did I trust him with my life or others around.   Am I the only one that just doesn't trust this??

These guys sit up there and watch/egg on the show.  I have no problem with that, Nor do I feel they are in the wrong or obligated to assist as a spotter.   But they sure seem like they want to be involved.  Why Not have Road flags like a typical race event with green and red flags that they can wave.  Maybe even a Banner with a RADIO Channel they there on posted so a guy that drives by first to scope it out and tune into the CH.      

Until the BLM shuts down OLDS ( like they did to comp at night)  or enforces speed by crowds there's going to be havoc on that hill during big weekends.  Pretty sure a lot of people only go there to wait for that crash just like the sand drags.

I'm sure theirs things I mentioned that some will disagree with & I'm fine with that. Just throwing out a few ideas to think about.  

1 hour ago, Phoenix7 said:

the cage folded and his head hit the bar, wit a street cycle style of helmet, might have lived if he had a full face helmet, would have been untouched if the cage did not collapse

2 minutes ago, J Alper said:

the cage folded and his head hit the bar, wit a street cycle style of helmet, might have lived if he had a full face helmet, would have been untouched if the cage did not collapse

Thanks for your clarification J Alper.   

I'm learning in this topic that the SxS I bought in October 2018 to get into this hobby has it's safety weaknesses.  I also can see from this topic and by actually being at Olds in person, and using my own common sense, that there are way too many people there for the small area of uphill/downhill spaces/lanes available, compounded by the fact that anyone can drive anything in any direction at any time.  I'll be trying to avoid Olds on the major weekends, looking for my own fun/safe hill to hang out on.  I'm going to check out Lizard Hill soon, but also try to find a cool one that doesn't have a name.  

I'm learning in this topic that the SxS I bought in October 2018 to get into this hobby has it's safety weaknesses.  I also can see from this topic and by actually being at Olds in person, and using my own common sense, that there are way too many people there for the small area of uphill/downhill spaces/lanes available, compounded by the fact that anyone can drive anything in any direction at any time.  I'll be trying to avoid Olds on the major weekends, looking for my own fun/safe hill to hang out on.  I'm going to check out Lizard Hill soon, but also try to find a cool one that doesn't have a name.  

big weekends are something else, at Dumont I love to jump the big air at the bottom of comp hill going up, but on holiday weekend you see from time to time someone sitting at the bottom in the hole with a broke flag, on a dirt bike or a quad, and someday someone is going to be on top of each other,

so on I jump the bottom on the off weekends or before everyone gets there,

6 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

One thing to consider as well is suspension tuning. After helmet and restraints and possibly an on board fire suppression system a fully tuned suspension is an important part of overall safety. While not cheap there are some people around that provide this service.

Posted (edited)

Boils down to physics really. 

When my 19 year old was learning to drive she always wanted to drive the little Hyundai cause it gets better gas mileage than the other vehicle she shared with her older brother my 05 suburban,

Ever see suburban vs. a compact car in ANY accident?

More cage and safety equipment is always good but weight and mass will always dominate in an accident.

As far as blame, rules, forget it. Education, sure, but assume EVERYONE out there is driving balls out crazy.

Once you accept that reality, you can then focus on driving defensively and hope you’re never in this situation.

Weeday and off-weekends are a blessing for those of us with flexible work situations.

RIP to this man and condolences to his family.

Sincerely,

abc

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

Education, sure, but assume EVERYONE out there is driving balls out crazy.

Spot on. Education. Common sense.

It’s Horrible thing that happened. But as fun as it is, during the crazy weekends we don’t go to the hill. It’s a lot of fun, but every time I’m there when it’s busy I have either seen something bad happen or seen a VERY close call and have even had close calls myself. It’s SCARY. 

I was a passenger in a LS buggy with a friend that I trust with my life and trust driving me more than anyone else. He’s an older gentleman that has basically spent his entire life in the dunes.  As we were going up the hill with his foot in the peddle, a rzr decided to make a complete U-turn half way up and we almost hit them/ they almost hit us, however you want to look at it. They didn’t look before making adjustments, and they probably didn’t know to. It almost killed them. It could have killed us. Who knows the outcome. We were inches away  like the HP wars buggy and the quad.    

Its been a practice now that we go so far away from the crowds, lizard hill, hill 5, etc.   I’ll show off for my buddies, anyone else really doesn’t matter. 

Be safe out there. Have respect and common sense. Stay alive. And don’t freakin drink and drive. Not saying anyone in this instance was drinking. And my  sincerest apologies to the families involved. Very tragic thing to happen. 

Edited by B0NES

40 minutes ago, B0NES said:

Spot on. Education. Common sense.

It’s Horrible thing that happened. But as fun as it is, during the crazy weekends we don’t go to the hill. It’s a lot of fun, but every time I’m there when it’s busy I have either seen something bad happen or seen a VERY close call and have even had close calls myself. It’s SCARY. 

I was a passenger in a LS buggy with a friend that I trust with my life and trust driving me more than anyone else. He’s an older gentleman that has basically spent his entire life in the dunes.  As we were going up the hill with his foot in the peddle, a rzr decided to make a complete U-turn half way up and we almost hit them/ they almost hit us, however you want to look at it. They didn’t look before making adjustments, and they probably didn’t know to. It almost killed them. It could have killed us. Who knows the outcome. We were inches away  like the HP wars buggy and the quad.    

Its been a practice now that we go so far away from the crowds, lizard hill, hill 5, etc.   I’ll show off for my buddies, anyone else really doesn’t matter. 

Be safe out there. Have respect and common sense. Stay alive. And don’t freakin drink and drive. Not saying anyone in this instance was drinking. And my  sincerest apologies to the families involved. Very tragic thing to happen. 

That was Double Spot On! 

So Sorry to hear and read about. Thanks to all who helped out on the hill. It's dangerous everywhere. Be alert. Stay safe! Peace

14 hours ago, Sndsamplr said:

I’m affraid to watch the vid.   I can only imagine what the families are going through. They are in my heart and prayers 

I am with you there. Things cannot be unseen. 

2 hours ago, BaBaBouy said:

One thing to consider as well is suspension tuning. After helmet and restraints and possibly an on board fire suppression system a fully tuned suspension is an important part of overall safety. While not cheap there are some people around that provide this service.

Regarding suspension tuning, I bought the upgraded Fox shocks with low speed compression, high speed compression, and rebound adjustments.  The goal was to go with the lowest compression settings, but I haven't been able to fully test how I like it because they sent me springs that were too short for the front, so right now only the upgraded back shocks are installed.

The main thing I logged on for this morning, regarding SxS safety, is to say that I already have aftermarket Dragonfire front and back bumpers installed, including the additional (optional) backbones that connect the back bumper to the roll cage.  I think all these things can help in a collision or roll over.  But I still think that SxS owners need to be aware of their limitations.  I'm definitely willing to admit that a well engineered sand car or rail is a bigger, badder, and safer vehicle.

BTW BaBaBouy, what is the story behind the MISSING poster in your avatar?

43 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Regarding suspension tuning, I bought the upgraded Fox shocks with low speed compression, high speed compression, and rebound adjustments.  The goal was to go with the lowest compression settings, but I haven't been able to fully test how I like it because they sent me springs that were too short for the front, so right now only the upgraded back shocks are installed.

The main thing I logged on for this morning, regarding SxS safety, is to say that I already have aftermarket Dragonfire front and back bumpers installed, including the additional (optional) backbones that connect the back bumper to the roll cage.  I think all these things can help in a collision or roll over.  But I still think that SxS owners need to be aware of their limitations.  I'm definitely willing to admit that a well engineered sand car or rail is a bigger, badder, and safer vehicle.

A dear friend that left us a few years ago to a better place...

BouyMilk.jpg.d701caef497f920a6a1b9fd766d

58 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

The lug nut rule applies universally to anything with wheels  

I realize you are new to the site, but never ask Bababouy a question, don't look at him or engage in any type of conversation, there is no turning back.  ;)

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

I realize you are new to the site, but never ask Bababouy a question, don't look at him or engage in any type of conversation, there is no turning back.  ;)

Unless it's to ask him where the local Union enrollment office is.

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Unless it's to ask him where the local Union enrollment office is.

:lol: