big_daddy_jp

Drivers/Spotters and their role

I'm sure there is a better section for this thread be it Safety or Newbies, but I figured there would be more exsposure here in light of recent events. These are my feelings about this subject and just wondered what the masses thought also. Random people standing at the edge of a lip you want to jump are NOT your spotters. Especially if nobody is signaling you that it's clear but are actually just watching you drive all the way up the hill. Unless it's a jump that tons of people have been jumping, in the same direction and one at a time, and someone is signaling it's clear, assume that it's not clear. Even then to me it's a little sketchy using people you don't know.This is my break down for each party to keep things as safe as possible. 

Spotter-

Know your spotter-  The safest spotter you can have is someone you know. They will at least want to keep you safe which in turn will keep all safer.                   

Have multiple spotters- The more you have, the more there are to scan all directions

Have a main spotter - This person will wave you on that it is clear along with waving you off

Extra spotters - Scan area to make sure it's clear along with waving off the driver and anyone that may cross the path.

Spectators - Everybody has the right to wave off a driver if you see something. Sometimes your spotters will miss something.

Driver-

Main spotter- Your job is to keep your eyes on that spotter all the way til lift off. If you can't keep an eye on your spotters and the line you want to run, you have no business doing what your about to do. 

Team of spotters - As a driver, it's your job to explain to your spotters what your plans are and what you need them to do. 

my thought is ... if u need a spotter to do something in G its Unsafe for All 

Posted (edited)

Even when obvious jumping is going on, not so bright people, ride through.

And the opposite, even without a clear path, people jump.

Edited by Rucker

I’ve had near misses more than a few times jumping when “trusted” and “experienced” friends were my spotters. I broke my back at an mx track on a blind double that had its own dedicated flagger that didnt flag when a dood was sitting on the landing. I dont trust anyone.

Also chill the F out on Holiday weekends,

example

bottom of Comp Hill at Dumont, love to jump the bottom going up, but I have seen dump azzes hanging out at the very bottom

you can not see these peeps on the back side of the roller, no one stops at the bottom, but someday, someone is going to stop on there 2 wheel and a 4 wheel machine is going to whip them out,

on non holiday weekends you will not see 80% of the dump people are at home so you can do more crazy stuff,

seems more accidents happen on the holidays,

I guess common sense is the new super power,   Mavel comics should make a captain CS   

Driver assumes all responsibility. No matter where it is, dunes, parking lot, streets. Telling law enforcement that so and so said it was safe never defers liability.  You are the responsible party so think about what you do.

I read on the various FB accounts of the accident at OLDS, that they had spotters and were video tapping that jump all morning.

Spotter etiquette is nice, but Driving Conditions are more vital IMHO.

Radio Communication would help, you didn't have that listed on your first post, I would add it.

However...that HP war video, near miss of guy on quad...radio and spotter were useless there.

Bottom line is drive as allowed for current conditions. Any Driver who takes this chance risks killing or hurting others by hot dogging it in front of the crowds.

There were people parked at the top of olds, IMO honest opinion you simply do not jump near crowds. The guy just drove up to an area were others were already parked, he may have had no clue what was going on in that area. I doubt he would have parked there if the area was clear and empty. Parking at the top of Olds is like parking at the end of the Drags - you are in front of a car at its top speed or amount of effort to reach point B from point A.

You are ALWAYS safer watching the show from point A.

If you're going to jump then the original post was spot on. Jumping at Old's or any other popular spot is not my cup of tea but I do enjoy watching those that do jump. Other commentary in my opinion is just noise. 

Good post JP!

Yes Crusty, radio communications is awesome but a lot of people don't have it. Also, if you rely solely on the radio, than you begin to not scan your surroundings while driving and just focus on what's directly in front of you. As for the spotters in the hp wars video, I saw them getting caught up in the race and not what was going on around them or behind them. That's why I suggest your spotters be people you know and not just random people parked to watch the action! In a perfect world, yes it would be great if these things didn't happen when it's busy, but that's not gonna happen. The drags and jumping are for showing off and those bring crowds. So this post was basically just to inform the uninformed how to properly do things to try and help keep our playground a little safer.

Maybe Olds over New Years is a poor choice if you feel the need to jump your car, with spotters, superpowers or whatever else you may think will protect you. Stupid is as stupid does. 

Doesn't matter.

I was jumping at Olds years ago...had spotters, blah, blah, blah...I come flying down...jump...and boom...a kid rolls his bike right out in front of me.  I air my bike so not to land on him.  I hit...roll...my bike lands on me and and breaks my hand.  Kid got scared, fell over...acted like I hit him.  Stupid, drunk POS dad comes running out...can barely walk screaming and wanting to fight me.  Saying I nearly killed his kid.  Stupid, drunk POS dad's friends grab him and lead him and his kid away...come over and ask if I need help because it wasn't my fault. "no...I'll figure it out.  tell him to watch his f*cking kid or leave him at home".

That's was the last time I showboated around a crowd or at a "gathering" spot.  You won't see me just running the Hill because I can and I definitely avoid it on a busy weekend.

So yeah...no matter what you do to set yourself up for success, it doesn't matter.  If you do it, you accept responsibility for it.

i like to hit jumps at the hill i have a friend on the radio once they tell me to go i tell them to keep it keyed up and keep saying go go go or ill stop if i dont have constant communication.   ive had to bail out  jumping down olds cause someone is coming up all the bystanders create a to narrow of a road to get out of the way of the landing zone of someone coming up. alot going on up there and very few choices if you have to abort.  i would like to see rugged and pci come up with a channel labeled spotter in thier stock program list.  it would be possible to get a clear channel when jumping

Off weekends we will run up olds.  On the busy holidays we avoid it like the plague.  We went there one time this past weekend just to bring a broken car out to sand hwy.  We watched a rzr jump down and then hard veer off to the left as he tried to save it because he landed wrong.  He was on two wheels and was a split second away from having a yard sale and an insurance claim.  It took him 85% of the hill to gather it up.

If you go off that jump thinking the guy sitting on his cooler waving you on is your spotter then have at it hoss.

The other side of the equation is this happened in California where its ALWAYS someone else fault.  I would not want to be videoed being a spotter up there.  Thats a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

I have been to the bull fights in La Playa Mexico a few times. I was aware of my surroundings and made good choices crossing the border / driving to the arena.

Once arrived I found my seat and watched the event. I chose to stay in my seat instead of hopping the wall and walking out for a meet-and-greet with the bull. I had a wonderful time, not a scratch on me.

is the juice worth the squeeze especially on crowded areas

12 hours ago, diesel-e said:

i like to hit jumps at the hill i have a friend on the radio once they tell me to go i tell them to keep it keyed up and keep saying go go go or ill stop if i dont have constant communication.   ive had to bail out  jumping down olds cause someone is coming up all the bystanders create a to narrow of a road to get out of the way of the landing zone of someone coming up. alot going on up there and very few choices if you have to abort.  i would like to see rugged and pci come up with a channel labeled spotter in thier stock program list.  it would be possible to get a clear channel when jumping

If EVERYONE is using this "spotter" channel, how would it be clear?

Every spotter situation I have ever witnessed was a massive fail. Pure luck was the factor in success.

34 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

If EVERYONE is using this "spotter" channel, how would it be clear?

It wouldn't. You would have a 100 people on it at the same time, asking if thier friend had a "copy" all day! Some take about thier lunch order and how to back up a trailer. 

3 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

It wouldn't. You would have a 100 people on it at the same time, asking if thier friend had a "copy" all day! Some take about thier lunch order and how to back up a trailer. 

What if permits to jump and designated time slots to use the spotter channel were available for purchase at the ranger station?

Time slots for the channel could be sold with variations including peak time and length of permit. Jump permits could range in cost taking in to consideration length and height of proposed jump.

I was on scene with the accident at Olds last Sunday, sad day for sure.  Let me give some perspective (I am not defending the jumping in any means).

- 50-75 people are sitting there waiting for someone to jump, the lane (the same one Robbie Gordon was jumping over Thanksgiving and Motorcycles were the previous day).

- Driver of buggy rolls past these peeps, and some guys ask him to do some jumps and they said they will spot and take video.  So he heads to the bottom and gets waved up.

- Buggy is 3/4 up the hill, razor crests over the very top ( there are two ridges there) and proceeds to land zone, buggy never sees the razor, even in the air.  Instant stop for both vehicles.

A couple of things to note, the crowd (just like the drags) are sitting there wanting to see jumping and they are instigating the entire situation.  No crowds, no accident.  Also, there were so many people up there, if you crested over into that area from the top and are trying to come down the hill, you were forced into the lane, no where else to go.  I crested that area only minutes earlier, people stopped all over the entire ridge.

Sad day for sure and feel bad for all involved, that poor little girl was trapped in the Razor for at least 90 minutes next to her Dad.

Either way, never trust a spotter you don't know, don't do this on a weekend!!!

FYI, Driver of buggy was sober, and the first person administering CPR and First Aid was the buggy passenger.

12 minutes ago, BaBaBouy said:

What if permits to jump and designated time slots to use the spotter channel were available for purchase at the ranger station?

Time slots for the channel could be sold with variations including peak time and length of permit. Jump permits could range in cost taking in to consideration length and height of proposed jump.

The only point I was trying to make was the race radios are all but useless. To much cross traffic and people that just want to hear themselves. 

I also want nothing to do with the BLM. I wouldn't call those assclowns if the camp next door was having a gun fight. 

2 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

The only point I was trying to make was the race radios are all but useless. To much cross traffic and people that just want to hear themselves. 

I also want nothing to do with the BLM. I wouldn't call those assclowns if the camp next door was having a gun fight. 

Your point was not lost on me. People will cry for more rules / enforcement, those same peeps will cry because of more rules / enforcement.

Efforts to legislate self preservation rarely have a meaningful impact on those the rules / laws are aimed at.

IMHO if you want to show off at the hill or play on it, on a busy weekend, it's on you. People have been getting hurt and killed there for decades. Someone dies in the dunes and social media goes crazy. Someone dies on the freeway going to work and nobody gives a shit. 

20 minutes ago, BaBaBouy said:

Your point was not lost on me. People will cry for more rules / enforcement, those same peeps will cry because of more rules / enforcement.

Efforts to legislate self preservation rarely have a meaningful impact on those the rules / laws are aimed at.

Efforts to legislate self preservation rarely have a meaningful impact on the rules/laws they are aimed at.

Best quote I’ve ever read on this site.

abc

31 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

IMHO if you want to show off at the hill or play on it, on a busy weekend, it's on you. People have been getting hurt and killed there for decades. Someone dies in the dunes and social media goes crazy. Someone dies on the freeway going to work and nobody gives a shit. 

exactly it doesn't matter if you have 50 spotter all telling you its clear and the dumbest person in the world walks out in front of you.... You hit them you get to deal with the lasting effects of that situation you put yourself into.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

Efforts to legislate self preservation rarely have a meaningful impact on the rules/laws they are aimed at.

Best quote I’ve ever read on this site.

abc

I agree. Insert the word "those" after the word "on" and before the word "the." Get rid of "they" after "laws" and before "are." I'm thinking a DOTC  (Duner Of The Century) nomination may be in order.

Prayers sent. 

Edited by BaBaBouy