When buying the gallon and spraying how much do you reduce and what do you reduce with? Is clean up difficult or use a cheap gun? 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, T Frog said:

When buying the gallon and spraying how much do you reduce and what do you reduce with? Is clean up difficult or use a cheap gun? 

Says don’t reduce. 

Edited by Rockwood

On 1/5/2019 at 6:06 AM, Richard H said:

You can make a rattle can look like it's not with it, just takes a little practice. Me coming from auto refinish back ground found it to be one of the best of rattle can finishes I've seen.

IMG_1379.JPG

How has it stood up there? Probably the highest wear spot on a buggy. 

19 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

How has it stood up there? Probably the highest wear spot on a buggy. 

Tie down in trailer by one tube being wrapped with tie down and one sand trip with no sign of wear. I will add, no primer either. In most cases sealer primer is used to hold any surface contaminates from reacting with paint. A light dust first coat will show you if there is any reaction going to happen. 

Edited by Richard H

5 hours ago, Richard H said:

Tie down in trailer by one tube being wrapped with tie down and one sand trip with no sign of wear. I will add, no primer either. In most cases sealer primer is used to hold any surface contaminates from reacting with paint. A light dust first coat will show you if there is any reaction going to happen. 

Nice. Going to go with this then. Was waffling between this and powder. Ease of maintenance for this wins. Can also use real cleaners (brake clean, purple power, etc). 

Just now, Rockwood said:

Nice. Going to go with this then. Was waffling between this and powder. Ease of maintenance for this wins. Can also use real cleaners (brake clean, purple power, etc). 

The easy repair thing is a big plus for me, just pull out the can and spot if needed.

Saw a pic of sandblasting on the trailing arm and didn’t look great. How is everyone else’s standing up to sandblasting?

I just finished my DD 2 seater in black steel it.

20190228_133013_resized.jpg

20190228_125551_resized.jpg

20190308_163253_resized.jpg

20190308_163227_resized.jpg

20190301_084636_resized.jpg

52 minutes ago, pissedoffbeetle said:

I just finished my DD 2 seater in black steel it.

20190228_133013_resized.jpg

20190228_125551_resized.jpg

20190308_163253_resized.jpg

20190308_163227_resized.jpg

20190301_084636_resized.jpg

Did one gallon do the chassis? 

1 hour ago, T Frog said:

Did one gallon do the chassis? 

I was wondering the same thing?  Did you reduce it or just spray 100% steel-it?

4 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

I was wondering the same thing?  Did you reduce it or just spray 100% steel-it?

Just barely.

9 hours ago, pissedoffbeetle said:

Just barely.

How was the cleanup on your cup gun, would a low buck Harbor freight gun work ok??

25 minutes ago, T Frog said:

How was the cleanup on your cup gun, would a low buck Harbor freight gun work ok??

Cheap gun and pitch, you will spend more on solvent to clean then the gun cost. I think the material would be abrasive on the fluid tip and wouldn't want to destroy a high dollar gun.

7 hours ago, Richard H said:

Cheap gun and pitch, you will spend more on solvent to clean then the gun cost. I think the material would be abrasive on the fluid tip and wouldn't want to destroy a high dollar gun.

That's what I was hoping to hear, cheap gun and toss, check!

8 hours ago, Richard H said:

That is exactly what I did, 2 $14 guns from HF. Straight in the trash after use.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, Rockwood said:

Saw a pic of sandblasting on the trailing arm and didn’t look great. How is everyone else’s standing up to sandblasting?

So back to the easy repair thought. If in the future I find a need to pull arms off I will have powder coated as that is what held up the best for me. But I will do this to the trailing arms ONLY.

2 hours ago, Richard H said:

So back to the easy repair thought. If in the future I find a need to pull arms off I will have powder coated as that is what held up the best for me. But I will do this to the trailing arms ONLY.

Yeah. Think I’m gonna do the same since it’s relatively cheap/easy to re-coat.