Jump to content
spize909

Engine Swap Ecotec 2.2 to 2.4

Recommended Posts

It seems pretty cut and dry but I anticipate some questions coming up so I figured I'd just start now. Picking up the new/used engine in the morning.

First question would be sealing the block. I notice on the current 2.2 that there was some type of sealant/gasket goop that is grey in color used to seal a few areas up. Mostly on the adapter plate. Any idea what this material is and should I do the same? I'd imagine it will become obvious when I bolt up the adapter to the 2.4.

 

Dumb question.....the flywheel and clutch/pressure plate are VW  parts? Haven't had to replace the clutch in the 5 seasons if ran this thing but it's time now. Paperwork shows clutch was done in 2012. 200mm 4 pad (4 puck?), stage 2 200mm pressue plate. That set up always seem to work well although there has always been a little chatter engaging from a stop. Flywheel and throwout bearing will be taken care of as well.  

engine seals.jpg

enine seal.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll try to help myself here............it's a 4 puck clutch (and was just about toast). Would I lose the chatter with a 6 puck disc? I'm gonna head up the hill to Hesperia to get the engine and then Kartek to hopefully get my clutch parts.

Flywheel bolts.........apparently a one time use bolt. Off the shelf auto part store item? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spize909 said:

I'll try to help myself here............it's a 4 puck clutch (and was just about toast). Would I lose the chatter with a 6 puck disc? I'm gonna head up the hill to Hesperia to get the engine and then Kartek to hopefully get my clutch parts.

Flywheel bolts.........apparently a one time use bolt. Off the shelf auto part store item? 

I have the 6 puck and do not get any chatter. I even slip it to put in the trailer and works fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Richard H said:

I have the 6 puck and do not get any chatter. I even slip it to put in the trailer and works fine.

engine/trans combo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Honda/2d even had same Honda type 1 and no issues.

Edited by Richard H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you get the f/w pp bolts at kartek.the honda i just did had a 6 puck seemed smooth to me.in mine i run a kush loc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more pucks the smoother engagement. The fewer pucks (generally) more clamping force/resistance to slippage. 

Kartek should have the parts you need and can answer most of your questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you guys suggest a 6 puck over a 4 for my application?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Would you guys suggest a 6 puck over a 4 for my application?

Your transmission builder probably would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Would you guys suggest a 6 puck over a 4 for my application?

6 puck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 puck and stage II pressure plate holds just fine on my 230-ish-lb-ft turbo SR20. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gray sealant looks like the typical gray RTV auto/engine sealant.  Stuff is pretty good.  it's pretty simple...check the package for the right "color" for the application and you should be good.  I generally have used the orange RTV in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mac said:

The gray sealant looks like the typical gray RTV auto/engine sealant.  Stuff is pretty good.  it's pretty simple...check the package for the right "color" for the application and you should be good.  I generally have used the orange RTV in the past.

Grey is great for anything oil/coolant related. Blends in too. Orange is only necessary for exhaust applications and is hideous. :bigrin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Grey is great for anything oil/coolant related. Blends in too. Orange is only necessary for exhaust applications and is hideous. :bigrin 

Thanks, I'll look for some of the grey. Got the engine and clutch parts. Engine is pretty well stripped and on a stand and I'll degrease/clean it up it tomorrow. Might have it in the car tomorrow and then have to figure out what changes. Hope to have the harness and ecm by next weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Thanks, I'll look for some of the grey. Got the engine and clutch parts. Engine is pretty well stripped and on a stand and I'll degrease/clean it up it tomorrow. Might have it in the car tomorrow and then have to figure out what changes. Hope to have the harness and ecm by next weekend.

Shouldn’t be much. Hoping to have the basic fab on mine done by end of feb for a shakedown run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up my harness and ecu today and engine's ready to go in. I'm not gonna spend a ton of time on it this weekend but should be able to finish by next weekend.

I'm gonna have a 2.2 eco, harness and mefi4 ecu for sale shortly if anybody is looking to convert their VW. All you'll need is (edit: adapter, header and water neck also needed) a radiator, piping and alternator.
 

 

engine.jpg

Edited by spize909

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hard work is done get it in and started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 77charger said:

The hard work is done get it in and started.

Yep you’re at the last couple of hours. May as well stay up late tonight and make it happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Price and I'll pass it on I have a friend with a sick vw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turbo4 said:

Price and I'll pass it on I have a friend with a sick vw

How about $1000 for the whole shabang? Harness and ECU alone sell for $1500 at CBM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

Yep you’re at the last couple of hours. May as well stay up late tonight and make it happen. 

Still have to remove old wiring, cables, ecu, relays, etc and figure out locations for new, fab a mount or two, install flywheel, clutch, etc. More then a couple hours...but close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spize909 said:

How about $1000 for the whole shabang? Harness and ECU alone sell for $1500 at CBM

I'll let others know too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are you located and your phone number please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, GlamisGreengo said:

Done yet? :tres:

NO.........still dicking around with wiring. Cleaning up some of what was in there in preparation of the new harness.  Engine goes in Saturday, at least that's the plan. I still need to figure out the DBW pedal. I have one but it's plastic and a fab guy I know says to get the metal one. Just spent $150 i wasn't planning on for fuel pressure regulator due to the different fuel rail (no return) on the 2.4.

Sandy Golf weekend......I'll be there. Maybe sooner.

Edited by spize909

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.