Sign in to follow this  
Jonesin'

Disc rotor servicing

Bought a project car and it was left outside a majority of its life. Can the rear brake rotors be machined? The calipers are a Tatum. Not trying to cut corners

but, I could put that money to something else on the car. If it's "not a safe choice," I will buy 2 new rotors.

Is it rust on the rotor surface you're worried about?

IF its just rust take a wire wheel to them and run them.  If its bent then maybe think about replacing them.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

IF its just rust take a wire wheel to them and run them.  If its bent then maybe think about replacing them.

Yep.  Or one of these if you don't like catching wire:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-Pro-4-1-2-in-x-5-8-in-11-in-Non-Woven-Quick-Strip-Disc-PNW045STRB01G/202830907

I had to, er, machine, a couple thou off my rotor hat to clear new calipers.  Put it on jackstands with the wheels off, stuck it in 4th with the engine idling and used an angle grinder to remove the material.  One could do the same with the above and not worry about warping them as much.  Proceed at your own risk. :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Yep.  Or one of these if you don't like catching wire:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-Pro-4-1-2-in-x-5-8-in-11-in-Non-Woven-Quick-Strip-Disc-PNW045STRB01G/202830907

I had to, er, machine, a couple thou off my rotor hat to clear new calipers.  Put it on jackstands with the wheels off, stuck it in 4th and used an angle grinder to remove the material.  One could do the same with the above and not worry about warping them as much.  Proceed at your own risk. :bigrin 

or this..……...:bigrin

brake grinds.jpg

brake grind.jpg

Just now, spize909 said:

or this..……...:bigrin

brake grinds.jpg

brake grind.jpg

Hey man, it was that or find the correct rotor.  He duned the rest of the weekend... :bigrin 

Just now, Rockwood said:

Hey man, it was that or find the correct rotor.  He duned the rest of the weekend... :bigrin 

I'd have hammered that sucker in there and we could have duned to the left for the rest of the weekend!

Just now, spize909 said:

I'd have hammered that sucker in there and we could have duned to the left for the rest of the weekend!

LOL.  Did that once when we swapped brakes right before a race and mixed up the spacers' position.  Car wouldn't move at all.

I put brand new Willwood pads in once before the beginning of a season.  Half way through the trip i went to use the brakes coming up to a drop off.  My foot went to the floor and I didnt slow down.  Kept pumping and finally got some brake.  When I got back to camp I looked and one side of the driver side rear caliper had spit the pad out.  I forgot to put the cotter pin in.  The piston was all the way against the rotor.  Whoops!

Sounds good! Yes, just surface rust I got going on. I'll try to wire wheel it for now.

Just run it.... 

Scotch-brite roloc.

6 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Scotch-brite roloc.

I was wondering this too

if they are really pitted you can take it to any shop that does flywheels and have them surface it, but typically both would run around $25 per side to $50 per side  

12 minutes ago, J Alper said:

if they are really pitted you can take it to any shop that does flywheels and have them surface it, but typically both would run around $25 per side to $50 per side  

I was thinking about asking the auto machinist here

or get a belt sander or orbital sander they will clean up real quick

23 hours ago, Bobalos said:

Just run it.... 

x2.  If it's just surface rust they'll self clean.

2 hours ago, Jonesin' said:

I was thinking about asking the auto machinist here

I think most of us is in the west coast so really easy rust comes off easy,

but you are in the Midwest so not sure how bad your rotors are, might want to post a pic

My disc needs replaced. Looks like the previous owner never checked the brakes and pad is totally worn down where the metal has made my disc look like it’s been rubbed way too many times on a cheese grader

12 hours ago, Lepimpster said:

My disc needs replaced. Looks like the previous owner never checked the brakes and pad is totally worn down where the metal has made my disc look like it’s been rubbed way too many times on a cheese grader

I'll use a Roloc disk and a set of new pads I suppose

On 1/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, Rockwood said:

LOL.  Did that once when we swapped brakes right before a race and mixed up the spacers' position.  Car wouldn't move at all.

need more bigger motor!

6 hours ago, WLD-OTZ said:

need more bigger motor!

Obviously. Stupid class rules.