Brian B

Sand toy market soft?

27 minutes ago, J Alper said:

12345.jpg

Is that picture real??

14 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Exactly you and them didn't start in the sport in a cage. We all get old, if we are lucky, and with that is the say, "with age comes a cage. " Hell I'm at a point where I not only need a cage, I need a real bed, hot and cold running water, and a heater or AC.  :lol:

LOL!     I got into SXSs so I could get my then 3 year old kid out in the dunes.  2007 I bought a Rhino and had blast.  Still riding my quad more than driving the Rhino.    Started riding my quad less and less as I upgraded to more capable SXS XP1000 in 2013 and then more recently in a X3 year ago.

I still ride my quad to go out in the dunes with my kid.   It is fun because he is on a Raptor 250 and can get around pretty good.  Riding the quad teaches him how to read the dunes.  

2 hours ago, Brian B said:

Well, I'm glad I started this. Sorry it turned into a rail vs sxs thing, but there has been some great insight on rail ownership, and the market.

For what its worth, Ive owned a dozen fully built UTV's and had a blast in them for the good part of 14 years.... I feel like I did my time, and I finally got into a rail this season.... having never even driven one. Let's just say, I aint going back any time soon! Its restored my love for the sport and pushed me to the dunes 5 times this season. Hope to get in 5 more!

49800320_10215811625537690_3483152085451538432_o.jpg

That is a nice rail you picked up.  I would be super stoked driving that around the dunes too.    A lot more power than the old Turbo XP and they handle a lot better too.  

Market slowed a tad.... interest rates have risen and housing market flattened out last year so there are a lot less cash out refi's happening.  

1 hour ago, B0NES said:

yup that one is real! from buggy round up at dumont about 4 weeks ago.... crazy bastard.

4 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

LOL!     I got into SXSs so I could get my then 3 year old kid out in the dunes.  2007 I bought a Rhino and had blast.  Still riding my quad more than driving the Rhino.    Started riding my quad less and less as I upgraded to more capable SXS XP1000 in 2013 and then more recently in a X3 year ago.

I still ride my quad to go out in the dunes with my kid.   It is fun because he is on a Raptor 250 and can get around pretty good.  Riding the quad teaches him how to read the dunes.  

Don't worry sand shark I can see you in the future with  a sick buggy doing crazy stuff

4 hours ago, B0NES said:

is this real

Yes this is not photo shopped did if for Neal Ride out camera,

it landed a little hard but wanted to show off at buggy round up,   Thank you Dave at DD for building a Crazy PreRunner Chassis, True Prerunner Chassis

3 hours ago, sandroosten said:

yup that one is real! from buggy round up at dumont about 4 weeks ago.... crazy bastard.

Crazy but I think we could be friends..

Ground control, this is J Alper. we have lift off. 

311C861C-2C44-4B86-98CB-36E72C4D5DD4.jpeg

Not really interested in getting into the buggy vs SxS debate, but the SxS is easier for the family to drive so it makes the trip more fun for them which turns into more time that we can go.  There is just no way my kids or wife would be comfortable driving my LS prerunner with fortin dog-box.   I keep my old rzr800 because my 12 year old daughter can rip around and have the time of her life.  My son likes the xp900 or the yxz....

Edited by 1newbie
update

^^I can totally relate to that. My wife used to drive our sand rail frequently, then we went LS and bigger trans and now she is a little intimidated by it all. She has driven it but doesn't really want to. I feel bad she is stuck in the passenger seat nowadays...I see a his and hers and bigger trailer in the future. 🤔

Here's my take on all this.

I bought my SxS BRAND NEW this past October, with a no money down $16240 loan which INCLUDED ALL COSTS AND TAXES, PLUS 14" upgraded wheels and EFX Sand Slinger tires.....ALL FOR $16240 with a 1000r engine.  Yes I have spent extra money on bumpers, approx $1700 on upgraded shocks, and tomorrow I plan to spend hundreds on a light bar and lighted whip including installation.

But my investment is nowhere near the SxS prices being thrown around in this topic.  And I feel I entered this market very wisely, because I don't think a SxS is worth more than $30,000 max.

Sure I'd love to have a sand rail some day with a BIG ENGINE, but I won't be able to afford the elite ones.  Here's my future plan, and feel free to tell me any holes in this strategy.  First, become more educated on sand rail technology (learn to spot the strengths and weaknesses in a frame).  Then scan Craigslist for CHEAP sand rails that may have been neglected, but have a frame and engine that make them a diamond in the rough if I throw a few thousand in upgrades at it.  In other words, I don't want to put lipstick on a pig, but rather find that one that has promise but the owner doesn't realize how close it is to being a winner.

And everything I just said about a sand rail could also be done with a DUNE TRUCK instead, which are very appealing to me.

That's the plan, but don't get me wrong, I really like my little Maverick!!  

Edited by Phoenix7

^^^The only problem I see in that plan is that there are people that know a great deal about the sand market doing the same thing for extra money.  Deals like you describe sell in hours, not days, so you need the time to look, the money on hand to leap, and the knowledge to not get burned.  They also have relationships built over time with crafts people to get the project done without blowing a ton of extra money.  Not saying it is impossible, but it is not a walk in the park either. ^^^

I did the same thing with street cars for extra money when I was in college.

6 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

^^^The only problem I see in that plan is that there are people that know a great deal about the sand market doing the same thing for extra money.  Deals like you describe sell in hours, not days, so you need the time to look, the money on hand to leap, and the knowledge to not get burned.  They also have relationships built over time with crafts people to get the project done without blowing a ton of extra money.  Not saying it is impossible, but it is not a walk in the park either. ^^^

This is very accurate. Most of these guys are on here or where.

11 hours ago, 1newbie said:

Not really interested in getting into the buggy vs SxS debate, but the SxS is easier for the family to drive so it makes the trip more fun for them which turns into more time that we can go.  There is just no way my kids or wife would be comfortable driving my LS prerunner with fortin dog-box.   I keep my old rzr800 because my 12 year old daughter can rip around and have the time of her life.  My son likes the xp900 or the yxz....

Nice !

Both my kids got their first driving experience ( pedals/steering wheel) by driving around our RZR 800. They were very comfortable years later when it came time to start learning in an actual vehicle. 

Edited by badgas

26 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Good morning Kat-A-Tonic, I'm noticing from this and other replies you've sent me that you have excellent thoughts and advice.  Thanks very much!!  And I agree with you 100%.

I'll keep thinking about this as maybe a fun thing to look into sometime, and it's not a high priority with me.  Furthermore, I woke up this morning thinking "Hmmm, maybe if I do IN REAL ESTATE what I just told these guys I want to do with a cheap sand rail, then someday I can buy a BRAND NEW FUNCO!!".   In other words, much higher profit margins in real estate, which I used to be passionate about but drifted away from years ago.

13 hours ago, J Alper said:

Don't worry sand shark I can see you in the future with  a sick buggy doing crazy stuff

Probable won't happen.  Been around them since I was 5.   I like the versatility of the SXS being able to hit the hardpack, trails and Baja.   

On 1/9/2019 at 9:23 PM, Phoenix7 said:

Here's my take on all this.

I bought my SxS BRAND NEW this past October, with a no money down $16240 loan which INCLUDED ALL COSTS AND TAXES, PLUS 14" upgraded wheels and EFX Sand Slinger tires.....ALL FOR $16240 with a 1000r engine.  Yes I have spent extra money on bumpers, approx $1700 on upgraded shocks, and tomorrow I plan to spend hundreds on a light bar and lighted whip including installation.

But my investment is nowhere near the SxS prices being thrown around in this topic.  And I feel I entered this market very wisely, because I don't think a SxS is worth more than $30,000 max.

Sure I'd love to have a sand rail some day with a BIG ENGINE, but I won't be able to afford the elite ones.  Here's my future plan, and feel free to tell me any holes in this strategy.  First, become more educated on sand rail technology (learn to spot the strengths and weaknesses in a frame).  Then scan Craigslist for CHEAP sand rails that may have been neglected, but have a frame and engine that make them a diamond in the rough if I throw a few thousand in upgrades at it.  In other words, I don't want to put lipstick on a pig, but rather find that one that has promise but the owner doesn't realize how close it is to being a winner.

And everything I just said about a sand rail could also be done with a DUNE TRUCK instead, which are very appealing to me.

That's the plan, but don't get me wrong, I really like my little Maverick!!  

Not a terrible strategy, as Kat-A-Tonic said, those cars get swooped up quick. But at the same time if you really dig into learning about Sand Cars you can do what I did with my car. I picked up a VERY neglected Desert Dynamics car last year with a blown up motor in it. All the bones were strong and I did a full rebuild on it. I'm in on it substantially under what it would cost me to buy this car finished, and I know every nut and bolt, weld, part and piece on this car which allows me to drive it as hard as I do with piece of mind. That being said my pops and I did ALL the work on this car, no one else had a single hand on it other than a close friend of mine who did some structural welds in exchange for beers. All that being said I have friends, as well as myself, who have had huge smiles in golf carts doing just off idle...

Alright alright alright....enough of the sxs vs rail vs vagina vs pee pee crap!

Don't make me bust out my Camp Chair and whoop up on all ya's!

<-------<<

For the record, I came from Dirt Bikes..now have rhino (bought and paid for in cold hard cash!) :tease:

There are some nice deals out there for rails...if I could I'd hit up Dirtywhiteboy, or Saddam and :makerain:

Carry on with your banter!

:dbart:

26 minutes ago, dbart said:

Alright alright alright....enough of the sxs vs rail vs vagina vs pee pee crap!

Don't make me bust out my Camp Chair and whoop up on all ya's!

<-------<<

For the record, I came from Dirt Bikes..now have rhino (bought and paid for in cold hard cash!) :tease:

There are some nice deals out there for rails...if I could I'd hit up Dirtywhiteboy, or Saddam and :makerain:

Carry on with your banter!

:dbart:

Well I see you’re looking anyways... :hot:

E99E64B7-7238-4356-B3C7-C0283714F124.png

5 minutes ago, B0NES said:

Well I see you’re looking anyways... :hot:

E99E64B7-7238-4356-B3C7-C0283714F124.png

:bag:

Always looking

:lmao:

5 hours ago, acefuture said:

Not a terrible strategy, as Kat-A-Tonic said, those cars get swooped up quick. But at the same time if you really dig into learning about Sand Cars you can do what I did with my car. I picked up a VERY neglected Desert Dynamics car last year with a blown up motor in it. All the bones were strong and I did a full rebuild on it. I'm in on it substantially under what it would cost me to buy this car finished, and I know every nut and bolt, weld, part and piece on this car which allows me to drive it as hard as I do with piece of mind. That being said my pops and I did ALL the work on this car, no one else had a single hand on it other than a close friend of mine who did some structural welds in exchange for beers. All that being said I have friends, as well as myself, who have had huge smiles in golf carts doing just off idle...

Thanks for sharing that acefuture.  It sounds like a success story. Personally, because I'm not a mechanic, I would be trying for one that may need some motor upgrades but the motor still runs.  Back to the frame, I was imagining finding something that could become a different vehicle than it was before with some frame enhancements, i.e. to improve the suspension.  I agree I need to learn a lot more before pulling anything off like this.

On 1/8/2019 at 1:30 PM, Cookie said:

The argument isn't SxS vs Sand Rail, it is basically cash purchase vs finance.............at least that is way I see it.

Now that it was brought up, I enjoy working on my stuff and knowing how it works, just a fact, a lot of SxS owners have a tough time changing a tire.  This is the biggest difference imho in the duner from 10 years ago to now.  Go on the Facebook site for GD.com or Glamis and look at the questions that get asked. 

But if I was new to the sport and I would go with a SxS for sure, gas and go.

X2!

I’m not so sure about abilty to fix things ten years ago vs now.  

There were plenty of rhino owners in 06-08 that couldn’t change tires, or find a dipstick lol.  

I’ve experienced hard pack off roading to break parts more frequently than sand, thus forcing owners to learn repairs more often.  

Off road Cars =routine service, sxs’s can usually get by with less maintenance.  same correlation to high performance boats vs sea doo’s.  

To get back to the original question, I think the sandrail market in the 70 or less range is a mixed bag of issues. Thrre's not a lot of people with that kind of cash looking for 10 year old or older cars. There are some well priced cars of lesser known builders with LS1's 2D's in the 20K range. Then there are some very over priced cars. Example is a Funco Gen 4 LS1 (claiming 550hp :lol:) 2D and ask 49K. I doubt there are many fools with 49k in cash walking around.