rpmsrup

what oil to run in LS1

Ran the valvoline 20w50 in my old car. CBM LS1 and that is what they recommended. 

Current car is a turnkey LS2 and they recommend 10w30, so I’ve been running Mobil 1 10w30. 

I put a lot of stock in the report that Alper posted the link to, the author is legitimate. 

Thicker oil runs hotter, that’s a fact. 

Heat kills engines, that’s a fact. 

So if you believe those are true you could deduce the thinnest oil that provides adequate pressure will run the coolest and support engine longevity. I’ve ran 20-50 then 10-30 in same LS and seen 40 degree high temp difference with about a 20 psi diff. 

The author acknowledges and doesn’t really address the “adequate pressure” question. Whole different topic. NASCAR sets oil pressure from the pump around 5psi to enable every last HP, bad example though as they rebuild every race, point is they make it through 500 laps at WOT.  I like to see 55 min at WOT, 65 better, above that I think it’s counter productive, maybe doesn’t hurt but it’s not helping and higher pressure takes HP and creates heat. 

But most don’t monitor the heart of the motor, I mean oil temp, so if your not monitoring it than your not worried about it! 

Cheers 

50 minutes ago, J Alper said:

we have about 10 board members using mobil 1 with 0-40 and the some are on the revlimit all the time and still going over 7 years on the same 416 builds 427 build, we just pulled apart a motor that was ran on VR1 and we can only use the Rods in it

it has the worst cam bearings I have ever seen, one was spun, and was sold as a good motor,

I use to love Valvoline and the top fuel car beat out the bearing, they went with mobil 1 and was a huge difference, the Valvoline looked like it was a foam party,

just trying to help you guys out, the oil in these cars make a difference, if we did not build it run what you want,

I believe you on all the oil stuff, but please start using periods and capital letters. 

I started running mobil 1  0-40 over a year ago in my 416 and now my 440.  Oil temps dropped 20 deg and oil pressure stayed about the same.  The best part is the oil is cheap at Costco and Wal-Mart.

37 minutes ago, Blue-Jay said:

I believe you on all the oil stuff, but please start using periods and capital letters. 

Sorry I get passionate, and just go crazy when people just do stuff without a bunch of research.

At the end of the don't to due what someone just tells you do some research, I worked with Jetjock on large amount of different oils, I was a crazy hard core Valvoline Guy had shirts banners ect.

Jetjock opened my eyes and I was stumped for what we have found in the last 3 years testing weight and brands

The Rat540 report touched on some great ideas, but it took a long time to read, big thanks to Jetjock for opening my stubborn eyes.  

I ran 10W30 Mobile1 for the last 6 years on my stock LS1.  Never had any problems.  Hot idle I had 25-28PSI, 1500-2K RPM it was at 50PSI. 

My new motor has very tight bearing clearances.  My motor builder recommended Total 5W30 full synthetic.  The stuff looks like tan water..... I was skeptical at first, but at idle I have 50PSI.  Anthing over 1K RPM it jumps to 70 PSI.  

~jw

I know when i ran a vw high zinc oil was needed for the flat tappet cam/lifters. Dont think you need to worry about that with roller cams in ls or newer style cams.20/50 oils like said are a band aid to increase pressure in sloppy clearance bearings and IMO bearing clearance also is a factor in what thickness to run.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, Air450 said:

Sorry it wasn't perfect per say. But was very nice inside for the time it had in the sand.

I've run with Carl and would bet he runs his motors as hard as anyone, even the dumont guys 😁 and a ton of hours and miles every season

And Redline is a quality builder, so When he says It looked great and so did redline, probably don"t need to pick it apart. Many people hav had great luck with all styles of oil, and it does really depend upon builder and recommendations and use.