jhuerta

Question for the RZR Enthusiast! Trails Average Size.

Hello Everyone,

Im in the process of selling my RZR and keeping my sandcar. Last night I was looking  at YouTube and seen some guy and his wife doing some really nice trail riding in wrightwood Ca and also in Mammoth Ca. I started to wonder if the  average sandcar would fit in the trails. My family and I do a lot of camping. We do pretty much everything although in the last 3 years we have only been going to Glamis. After seeing the YouTube vid I come to realize that I have let my family down and that we have been missing out on the mountains and desert. So maybe its time to change it up a bit. My sandcar is smaller than most like 74 inches wide and 120 wheelbase .  This is close to the new jeeps which have a wheel base of 116 which can be used as a reference. 

So the question I have for  you is "What is the average that a newer jeep will fit on the trails that you guys/gals take your RZR on?" 

Than you. 

I would think 2wd and an open diff would be a PITA to drive in the desert.  But I am a dumb sxs owner.

Sand cars are few and far between in the desert and mountains.   There’s a reason.   

My old school buggy went anywhere that stock or mildly built Jeeps went, but a true sand car isn't made to handle the extra bumps they used when making the desert, the frames are built to be light. 

Many of the best trails we run are tight in a sxs - anything wider would be very difficult and hard on the car.  Jeeps can make it but may get some pinstrips.  Not to mention, most of these trails are easier to run in 4x4.  Some friends can make it in 2x but many times have to take faster runs at some of the hills etc. and that can cause damage!

Ocotillo Boy used to take his Toys4BigBoys Sand Car to Gorman aka Hungry Valley and took fire roads up to Mt Pinos (Off 5 fwy past 6 Flags Magic Mtn).

@Ocotillo Boy

You could also drive up the Fire Roads between Silverwood, Arrowhead and Big Bear, but you could not take the harder jeep trail with rock obstacles.....just the main flatter fire roads.

In the desert without a helmet and air pump it sucks, you just sit there while the dirt and dust lands on you and you can't breath.  In the mtns, I would think the 2wd manual tranny with virtually very little torque would suck.  That being said, in the desert if you can deal with the dust your sandcar is fine, don't let you people tell you they are running the desert like the Baja 500, most are just cruising on roads, with some rock.  I have stopped going to Ocotillo and Jawbone/Dove Springs on my MC because it has become to dangerous with all the SxS as they flat track all the blind turns.

If you really want to have fun on a SxS in the mtns, get out of California and head to Southern Utah, Idaho and so forth, where they don't hassle you on any roads.  In Big Bear, legally you are limited in a big way.

Posted (edited)

The local Wrightwood area trails are more like Forestry/BLM trails that are generally wide enough for anything with the exception of some off shoot trails that can be tight so your rail could be used on some BLM trails. What you will run into locally is getting around with a OHV it's difficult because of not being st legal and just about all US Forestry & National Park trails require a st legal vehicle.

The SxS trails are pretty narrow and in most cases especially tight with my 72"w LT RZR, I'm always putting a wheel up on the side of something. 

My JK  is 95" and have wheeled in about 9 different states but we spend more time in Az & MOAB Ut, with MOAB being my favorite place where both SxS & Jeeps are a blast.

Edited by GROPER

Thanks for the responses.  This is interesting. I hope more people chime in. 

41 minutes ago, GROPER said:

The local Wrightwood area trails are more like Forestry/BLM trails that are generally wide enough for anything with the exception of some off shoot trails that can be tight so your rail could be used on some BLM trails. What you will run into locally is getting around with a OHV it's difficult because of not being st legal and just about all US Forestry & National Park trails require a st legal vehicle.

The SxS trails are pretty narrow and in most cases especially tight with my 72"w LT RZR, I'm always putting a wheel up on the side of something. 

My JK  is 95" and have wheeled in about 9 different states but we spend more time in Az & MOAB Ut, with MOAB being my favorite place where both SxS & Jeeps are a blast.

I didn't realize that US Forestry and National Parks required street legal vesicles. I figured it would be good in case I need to cross the road. 

Thanks Groper. 

Posted (edited)

Up around Miller Canyon, Big Bear area being that wide will force you into so street driving to get from one trail to the other. Not being street legal will lock you into small areas or a risk it and run on the street. 

Same for some desert areas and up in Mammoth. Get out of Commiefornia and the possibilities are great.

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

ive done a bit of riding up in mammoth and June lake the trails are pretty tight.  i took my SR1  rhino up there last year i believe its 74" wide if i remember correctly and it was a pain in the ass.  Things dont run as good in the high altitude and shifting sucked on those tight trails.  There wasn't much room to get any real speed, most of it is 4wd geared trails better for dual sport bikes or Rzr/ can am etc.

We went mountain riding this last summer in our SxS's and had a blast.  The Can Am's & Polaris 4-seaters were even a little on the big size in some area's and would take a 3 point turn to get around some obstacles.  Trying to do that in a sand rail doesn't sound like fun to me.  The fun part of running the forest roads and sliding around that is crazy good time fun though.018.thumb.jpeg.de7c3a280e58e39a87d2b3937a2f88df.jpeg 

Oh then there is the cleaning of the mud that gets everywhere and like mentioned earlier if the dust isn't choking you it's muddy those are the only options.

17 minutes ago, MWB said:

We went mountain riding this last summer in our SxS's and had a blast.  The Can Am's & Polaris 4-seaters were even a little on the big size in some area's and would take a 3 point turn to get around some obstacles.  Trying to do that in a sand rail doesn't sound like fun to me.  The fun part of running the forest roads and sliding around that is crazy good time fun though.018.thumb.jpeg.de7c3a280e58e39a87d2b3937a2f88df.jpeg 

Oh then there is the cleaning of the mud that gets everywhere and like mentioned earlier if the dust isn't choking you it's muddy those are the only options.

That looks like a really nice place.

Posted (edited)

There are portions of a lot of these trails that are 50 to 64 inches wide only .   These pictures were taken at Ocotillo Wells and Glamis North .

FD187FA1-7096-41AD-9BFE-A854AD6C4A4C.jpeg

AA0C8EE9-2DDC-478C-9AD9-2C99DCF7AFA2.jpeg

A84D8F96-34D2-41B3-AE25-706AB09A9B12.jpeg

18D25B76-0232-45C3-B537-367292E49072.jpeg

C25B2D81-E3C6-41B1-8146-FA7008BA5D95.jpeg

Edited by DEV'S RZR

13 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

Ocotillo Boy used to take his Toys4BigBoys Sand Car to Gorman aka Hungry Valley and took fire roads up to Mt Pinos (Off 5 fwy past 6 Flags Magic Mtn).

@Ocotillo Boy

Man, that was the good old days!!!

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

There should be a new thread call "Buggies Going  Beyond Glamis!" (Although GlamisDunes.com  might not like that!)

A couple years ago a sand rail was riding with us and he never had a problem. The only things for me is the gas mileage and rocks chipping up my sand rail. I can ride my side by side all day with 5, to 7 gallons. DON~~~

Mammoth cave 014.JPG