Sign in to follow this  
r3meyer

Best way to remove chrome on a car?

I am slowly removing the chrome that my car came with.  Most of it was pitted and looked horrible.  All of the removable parts I had powder coated and they look awesome.  However the car has a side steps that run front to back.  I want to make these black with grip if possible.  Anyone done this and used something that holds up?  I was thinking bed liner or something else of that nature?

Sometimes when I get in with my Uggs on I slip.  It causes unwanted attention from the group.

Why not black grip tape?  Just clean the surface well with a wax & grease remover and apply the tape full length of the chrome bar.  You may need to trim the ends to tie into the tube joint, but I think it can be done to look seamless.  Cheap and less work than spraying anything.   I would find a 3M product as anything not 3M is likely to have shit adhesive.  

https://www.amazon.com/Pusdon-Safety-Black-3-Inch-4-75m/dp/B01KZV13ZO

7 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

I am slowly removing the chrome that my car came with.  Most of it was pitted and looked horrible.  All of the removable parts I had powder coated and they look awesome.  However the car has a side steps that run front to back.  I want to make these black with grip if possible.  Anyone done this and used something that holds up?  I was thinking bed liner or something else of that nature?

Sometimes when I get in with my Uggs on I slip.  It causes unwanted attention from the group.

That's funny.......

I wonder if Stugots has an epoxy solution that could work?

Go to Pismo, the chrome will be gone in a day or two....

10 hours ago, evantwheeler said:

Why not black grip tape?  Just clean the surface well with a wax & grease remover and apply the tape full length of the chrome bar.  You may need to trim the ends to tie into the tube joint, but I think it can be done to look seamless.  Cheap and less work than spraying anything.   I would find a 3M product as anything not 3M is likely to have shit adhesive.  

https://www.amazon.com/Pusdon-Safety-Black-3-Inch-4-75m/dp/B01KZV13ZO

Thats a great idea.  I will buy a roll and see how it looks.  I was envisioning a bunch of surface grinding, taping everything off, and then spraying something.

I have used the tape and it wears like iron. Good solution.

Maybe not wear Ugg’s?🤪

Edited by quaddaddy

I thought boys who wear Uggs could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.  Maybe the answer to your question lies within.

Seriously, grip tape from skateboard shops or even Amazon works great!  I put some on the steps to my pool diving board and it has lasted 4 years in the AZ sun so far. 

Sandblast removes chrome easily (much easier to remove than powdercoat) sander with a scotch brite, but its probably best to just paint right over it, if the part is not removable

I think scateboard grip tape would work fine. I used some industrial stuff I got that is made for stairs. It is not as grippy as scateboard stuff, but it held up great for years. I think you can get the stairs stuff at home Depot.