Jump to content
RK Racing

Teacher Strike!......., Really????

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Mac said:

As a pilot...I had to requalify every year.  New systems, new tactics, new enemy...I had to get more training.  Training and updates are a way of life for a pilot.

This also applies to doctors, dentists, nurses, pretty much across the medical field. Other fields also require continued training to maintain your license and job.

So why aren't teachers under this model?  As mentioned...continued education should be even more important to stay up with new technology, new discoveries, new methods.

Again, what other job has tenure?  and what would be wrong with continued education to remain a teacher?  AND...how can we evaluate teachers to better promote, compensate and retain?  More importantly...how do we get teachers to get back to teaching?  I see teachers always saying...they raise the kids.  THAT'S NOT YOUR JOB! That's MY JOB!  Having teachers undo what I instill on my kids was a constant frustration.  

AND...stop sending kids home with flyers telling parents how to vote!  That's my vote...not yours.

Pretty much sums everything up right here. Get rid of the union, no tenure. You eff up, yore fired. Also do away with this "good citizen" crap. I don't need the school system telling my kids what to believe.

 

On a side note, my 8th grader has just been given her first position paper. She's allowed to pick a topic but they also gave them a bunch of examples to choose from. One of them is "Should teachers be allowed to carry guns in school". Should be interesting if she picks that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WLD-OTZ said:

Which leads back to my question, what yardstick are you willing to use to grant the award? 

I am not sure, I don't think it should be all testing, maybe it be a multiple of things........................

Teachers should be rewarded in some way for continued education (doesn't have to be another degree) and student successes.  What gets lost, in the private sector we are not always rewarded by a yardstick, many other things go with it, like attitude and so forth.  Why can't that be part of the equation?  UNIONS...........................................it isn't fair attitude.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The yardstick is testing. A student should be tested entering a grade, midway through the school year and exiting the grade. The child would be "competing" against his / herself with success or failure quantified on individual achievement instead of any comparison to the group as a whole. By 6th grade children should be identified for their strengths and weaknesses and a plan for the remainder of their education should be made.  Variables like an emphasis on trade schooling (electrician, mechanic, plumbing) or a curriculum weighted to math, science, business...could be implemented starting in high school giving two more years (7th -8th grade) to reaffirm the suggested focus of the child's  individual education. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cookie said:

I hate it when I agree with MAC....................................:rbj:

 It is easy to agree with Mac’s views  and opinions but boy oh boy, when you see/meet him in person it’s a whole different world !!!  Not necessarily good either...... :lol:         Which reminds me..........  did you guys ever watch the “”A-Team””?  Remember that loony helicopter pilot......   that is all I’m saying :bigrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BaBaBouy said:

The yardstick is testing. A student should be tested entering a grade, midway through the school year and exiting the grade. The child would be "competing" against his / herself with success or failure quantified on individual achievement instead of any comparison to the group as a whole. By 6th grade children should be identified for their strengths and weaknesses and a plan for the remainder of their education should be made.  Variables like an emphasis on trade schooling (electrician, mechanic, plumbing) or a curriculum weighted to math, science, business...could be implemented starting in high school giving two more years (7th -8th grade) to reaffirm the suggested focus of the child's  individual education. 

I remember at the start of 6th grade, they gave us all a math test. The told us we had three days to do it, it would not count against our final grade, and we didn't have to finish it. 

Okay, so you put that test in the hands of a normal 12 year old, and you set those conditions, what do you think he is really gonna accomplish? Yah, I was put into remedial math. By the end of 8th Grade, I had been promoted through the math classes to Algebra II. 

Start of 9th Grade, they gave us all a math test. The told us we had three days to do it, it would not count against our final grade, and we didn't have to finish it. 

Well, guess what.... I didn't learn the first time around. 

If you are going to test for base level knowledge and skills, I suggest not telling the kid it don't count and you don't have to finish it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BaBaBouy said:

The yardstick is testing. A student should be tested entering a grade, midway through the school year and exiting the grade. The child would be "competing" against his / herself with success or failure quantified on individual achievement instead of any comparison to the group as a whole. By 6th grade children should be identified for their strengths and weaknesses and a plan for the remainder of their education should be made.  Variables like an emphasis on trade schooling (electrician, mechanic, plumbing) or a curriculum weighted to math, science, business...could be implemented starting in high school giving two more years (7th -8th grade) to reaffirm the suggested focus of the child's  individual education. 

That sort of testing would ensure the kids end up in a union. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jtmoney714 said:

That sort of testing would ensure the kids end up in a union. 

Meah, only the ones needing a third party to quantify their worth...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WLD-OTZ said:

I remember at the start of 6th grade, they gave us all a math test. The told us we had three days to do it, it would not count against our final grade, and we didn't have to finish it. 

Okay, so you put that test in the hands of a normal 12 year old, and you set those conditions, what do you think he is really gonna accomplish? Yah, I was put into remedial math. By the end of 8th Grade, I had been promoted through the math classes to Algebra II. 

Start of 9th Grade, they gave us all a math test. The told us we had three days to do it, it would not count against our final grade, and we didn't have to finish it. 

Well, guess what.... I didn't learn the first time around. 

If you are going to test for base level knowledge and skills, I suggest not telling the kid it don't count and you don't have to finish it.  

Hence the root of the problem, behind great ideas, new programs, increased funding...you still have a special interest controlled government entity tasked with running the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BaBaBouy said:

Hence the root of the problem, behind great ideas, new programs, increased funding...you still have a special interest controlled government entity tasked with running the show. 

You totally skipped the part about the idiots taking the test... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WLD-OTZ said:

You totally skipped the part about the idiots taking the test... 

Yeah, because it wasn't important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are soooooo many issues with public education in CA today..  Bottom line is the ENTIRE system is f'd up....from special education to unions to pensions.....but until and unless the teachers quit following the union with blinders on and DEMAND more control and better conditions and RESULTS, people are at the end of their caring about how often they get raises.

Just like I get told in the private sector....if you don't like it, change it or find a better place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure where someone got his info, but my sister is a teacher in South Bay and every year she has to take continuing education classes. Maybe some teachers don't have to maintain their continuing ed. credits, but many do. She now has a Master's in Ed. and makes just over $100k/yr while only working 7 months of the yr. When you subtract summer break, winter break, spring break, vacation time, holidays, personal days, it really is 5 months off every yr.

When she was looking for a job after college, she was looking in that school district and the Poway school district specifically because they were the higher paying districts. I'm sure there are a lot of teachers who make a lot less than she does. I wouldn't say that any teacher is overpaid, especially with the kids they have to deal with nowadays.

I was a Navy instructor and that was teaching in it's purest form. No disciplinary issues, excellent class participation and everyone genuinely wanting to pass - there were career repercussions for failure. After hearing the horror stories from my sister about some of the kids - and worse, about their parents - I wouldn't touch that job for under $150K/yr and a loaded Uzi. Those kids weren't born evil, they were raised that way.

The real problem with the school system is with the union,  school superintendents and the administrations. There was a recent news article about a CA school superintendent who was pulling down something like $440K/yr in salary and benefits and he was just one of many school superintendents in that district, presumably getting similar pay and benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

There was a recent news article about a CA school superintendent who was pulling down something like $440K/yr in salary and benefits and he was just one of many school superintendents in that district, presumably getting similar pay and benefits.

Centinella Valley school District. That was my sons high school and while he was there John and Ken were there broadcasting for 640 KFI about that idiot superintendent.  That is one of the reasons I am happy that we did sue them to help my sons education. P.S.......  The superintendent also got like a $1 million home loan for 1% for 30 years and more than that also.....

Edited by RK Racing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RK Racing said:

Centinella Valley school District. That was my sons high school and while he was there John and Ken were there broadcasting for 640 KFI about that idiot superintendent.  That is one of the reasons I am happy that we did sue them to help my sons education. P.S.......  The superintendent also got like a $1 million home loan for 1% for 30 years and more than that also.....

That's ridiculous! The system is really screwed up at the top!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mac said:

As a pilot...I had to requalify every year.  New systems, new tactics, new enemy...I had to get more training.  Training and updates are a way of life for a pilot.

This also applies to doctors, dentists, nurses, pretty much across the medical field. Other fields also require continued training to maintain your license and job.

So why aren't teachers under this model?  As mentioned...continued education should be even more important to stay up with new technology, new discoveries, new methods.

Again, what other job has tenure?  and what would be wrong with continued education to remain a teacher?  AND...how can we evaluate teachers to better promote, compensate and retain?  More importantly...how do we get teachers to get back to teaching?  I see teachers always saying...they raise the kids.  THAT'S NOT YOUR JOB! That's MY JOB!  Having teachers undo what I instill on my kids was a constant frustration.  

AND...stop sending kids home with flyers telling parents how to vote!  That's my vote...not yours.

Why so much anger? Try to relax. Caps and “!!”! 

What kind of planes do they let crazy people fly? 

Im sure your kids are greaaat😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RK Racing said:

Centinella Valley school District. That was my sons high school and while he was there John and Ken were there broadcasting for 640 KFI about that idiot superintendent.  That is one of the reasons I am happy that we did sue them to help my sons education. P.S.......  The superintendent also got like a $1 million home loan for 1% for 30 years and more than that also.....

 Crazy how people blame teachers for their lack of hard work and failure to take personal responsibility.

Parents are the worst.. they give them smartphones, video games, and Netflix and expect the teachers to raise their kids for them.  Last Back to School Night I had 5 of 36 parents show up.The others were probably all at home on Facebook. Then when their kids dont graduate high school they sue the schools and take TAXPAYER money.  Its pathetic to sue a school district because they always settle out of court for fear of losing big money. 

Edited by mykeg11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Debate the topic - Teacher Strike

 

Please refrain from making personal jabs at each other, that will not help a healthy discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mykeg11 said:

 Parents are the worst.. they give them smartphones, video games, and Netflix and expect the teachers to raise their kids for them.  

I get what you are saying but I will give you the other side of this.

Schools are the worst... They give these kids Chromebooks to do all their assignments on and give them their assignments over cell phone group texts. So now if I want to discipline my kids I can't take either of these things away from them. Let alone control anything on the chrome books (apps, games, etc) because they are controlled by the schools IT. Lets not even get into how all this "great" technology is destroying our kids ability to communicate face to face or carry on a conversation. And let's not talk about their ability to write ( I mean penmanship).

I am not going to pile on and say that the teachers are the problem. MANY are their for the kids and put in the work and hours. This I agree with you. But I think BBB hit it on the head, it is the Union followed by the Administration that are totally f'ing it up, and it is up to the teachers to hold the Union accountable.

Edited by D-n-Tyke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep....  repeating one of my previous posts on this topic.....   only 1/3 of the teachers deserve a raise from the strike. Once again my son had about 30 teachers in high school. Once again, My wife and myself have volunteered our time and money  in my son’s classes were the teachers actually cared. Out of 30 teachers 10 of them needed to lose their jobs immediately, and 10 were so/so and  The last 10 we’re good to great.  This strike is mostly about having enough money for their retirement benefits and giving teachers raises that do not deserve it and kissing unions behinds.  If unions are not pretty close to 100% democratic supporters well then I guess  The majority of these hard-working people on here are wrong ....lol!  And don’t forget.... Unions tell all the teachers to tell everyone there’s over 2 billion in reserve but yet they do not tell the whole truth about the school district is running about 460 million in the negative per year so they will be bankrupt in about four years but yet the union wants money money money now and they just simply do not care who has to pay for it. F the school unions!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RK Racing said:

Yep....  repeating one of my previous posts on this topic.....   only 1/3 of the teachers deserve a raise from the strike. Once again my son had about 30 teachers in high school. Once again, My wife and myself have volunteered our time and money  in my son’s classes were the teachers actually cared. Out of 30 teachers 10 of them needed to lose their jobs immediately, and 10 were so/so and  The last 10 we’re good to great.  This strike is mostly about having enough money for their retirement benefits and giving teachers raises that do not deserve it and kissing unions behinds.  If unions are not pretty close to 100% democratic supporters well then I guess  The majority of these hard-working people on here are wrong ....lol!  And don’t forget.... Unions tell all the teachers to tell everyone there’s over 2 billion in reserve but yet they do not tell the whole truth about the school district is running about 460 million in the negative per year so they will be bankrupt in about four years but yet the union wants money money money now and they just simply do not care who has to pay for it. F the school unions!!! 

I hate the chromebooks , ipads.. worst idea ever. All they do is try to play games w them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read today that the School board was at a 6% raise and the Union was locked at 6.5%.

I also read that the biggest issue was classroom size, no max on classrooms is just bad policy. 

My district used to be pretty good, its gone down, glad my kids are almost all HS age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

I read today that the School board was at a 6% raise and the Union was locked at 6.5%.

I also read that the biggest issue was classroom size, no max on classrooms is just bad policy. 

My district used to be pretty good, its gone down, glad my kids are almost all HS age.

You are correct, the Teachers and Union are basically striking for classroom reduction and more counselors( and Nurses), the 6% pay raise has been on the table for along time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have family and friends that teach and administer in public schools, i appreciate the work they do, but despise their Unions. There is big similarity to Construction or Utilities Unions,  they represent their members all the while pushing politcal agendas not directly related to their industry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mykeg11 said:

Why so much anger? Try to relax. Caps and “!!”! 

What kind of planes do they let crazy people fly? 

Im sure your kids are greaaat😂

Armed ones!

 

20190111_164424.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mykeg11 said:

 Crazy how people blame teachers for their lack of hard work and failure to take personal responsibility.

Parents are the worst.. they give them smartphones, video games, and Netflix and expect the teachers to raise their kids for them.  Last Back to School Night I had 5 of 36 parents show up.The others were probably all at home on Facebook. Then when their kids dont graduate high school they sue the schools and take TAXPAYER money.  Its pathetic to sue a school district because they always settle out of court for fear of losing big money. 

Do you find it odd that your union supports the political party that feels people shouldn't be held accountable for their actions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.