thowell

Where to find a motor

My brother blew up his j32 3.2 acura motor, had a guy that had one he was gonna go buy but got sold from under him. Anyone know where to get one of these? It would seem like there would be a million of them i guess we arent looking in the right places

Look on EBay around the Midwest. Seriously. Way cheaper than out here, and less millage.

There is a website that will search the local junkyards for you. Super easy to get. I just can’t figure out what it was called. 

Just now, jtmoney714 said:

There is a website that will search the local junkyards for you. Super easy to get. I just can’t figure out what it was called. 

car-part.com ?

Just now, Rockwood said:

car-part.com ?

Damnit you’re good

4 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

Figured you would know by now. 😂

Car dash part dot com is definitely the best place. Since he’s already replacing it now may be a good time to upgrade to a j35a4 to! 

1 hour ago, Getpitted453 said:

Car dash part dot com is definitely the best place. Since he’s already replacing it now may be a good time to upgrade to a j35a4 to! 

Is it the same block? Will it bolt in to the existing mounts and will all the turbo stuff still work fine? 

The only thing that is different is the MAP sensor.  But, depending on what 3.2 he has, the T-body will swap over.

5 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

The only thing that is different is the MAP sensor.  But, depending on what 3.2 he has, the T-body will swap over.

he currently has the j32A2 with two holes in the side of the block lol

A turbo'd A2 is asking to be scattered.

7 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

thats what we have learned the hard way. but still love the car. so j35A4 is the way to go then ? i have heard you are the guru for all things honda

9 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

and will has j32A2 throttle body swap over to the j35A4?

2 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

What about a 3.5 a1 to an a4 will the a1 ecu work out?Only wondering for future if i ever need to replace an engine in mine.

2 hours ago, thowell said:

thats what we have learned the hard way. but still love the car. so j35A4 is the way to go then ? i have heard you are the guru for all things honda

You'll be better off.  It has a bit lower compression.  The parts on the A2, mostly the complete heads, have value to others still.

2 hours ago, thowell said:

and will has j32A2 throttle body swap over to the j35A4?

Should.

49 minutes ago, 77charger said:

What about a 3.5 a1 to an a4 will the a1 ecu work out?Only wondering for future if i ever need to replace an engine in mine.

You will have to swap the t-body over as well,  Everything else is ok.  

Edited by Kraut_n_Rice

1 hour ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

You'll be better off.  It has a bit lower compression.  The parts on the A2, mostly the complete heads, have value to others still.

Should.

You will have to swap the t-body over as well,  Everything else is ok.  

So will the heads swap from the A2 to the j35A4?

They will.  Not sure if you will see benefits to make it worth while, being that it's turbo'd.. 

I was speaking more to selling them.  the J35A1 was VTEC, but the mechanism didn't run both valves.  So, those guys benefit for the later heads.  The 32A2 heads did have bigger valves and different cams than the 35A4.  There are tons of combos around, and I honestly don't keep up on what the hot new setup is..

Supposedly the piston to valve clearance is pretty tight if swapping j32a2 heads on to a j35.  The factory pistons out of a later J35 are already machined for the larger valve reliefs.  

There’s is a member on here that did the j32a2 heads on a j35a4 with no valve clearance issues, but this being an already turbo’d car the gain from the head swap would be minimal and not worth it in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Getpitted453 said:

There’s is a member on here that did the j32a2 heads on a j35a4 with no valve clearance issues, but this being an already turbo’d car the gain from the head swap would be minimal and not worth it in my opinion. 

Better flowing heads means more power at the same boost without adding much torque to stress the transaxle even more.  Whatever flow increase the heads have will make a corresponding amount of power.  Not apples:apples, but in the Nissan world, guys swapping to the VVL cylinder heads made the same power at 16psi (400-450whp) as the non VVL heads made at 20-22psi.  

The 3.2a2 has better heads, bigger valves, better cams, so you should make more power at less boost (as previously mentioned).  That is important because (as you know) you can only throw so much boost on a stock bottom end before the stock rods let go.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Better flowing heads means more power at the same boost without adding much torque to stress the transaxle even more.  Whatever flow increase the heads have will make a corresponding amount of power.  Not apples:apples, but in the Nissan world, guys swapping to the VVL cylinder heads made the same power at 16psi (400-450whp) as the non VVL heads made at 20-22psi.  

Yeah I agree with that. I was just under the impression that the 3.2 heads are only slightly better than the 3.5’s, and the main difference is the cams. The cost to swap the heads could be close to as much as buying one of these motors from a junk yard if you’re using good gaskets, hardware, timing belt etc. im Also curious if the gain in power is from smaller combustion chambers on the type s heads raising compression, if that’s the case it may not be the way to go running boost with it unless you want to run race gas. 

The difference between the 35A4 heads and the 32A2 heads isn't a ton.  The 35A1 and 32A2, yeah, huge difference.  The inake design from the 35A1 to the 32A2/35A4 is significant too.  The early one had small D shaped runners in the lower, where the later has larger O shaped runners.  The later intake setup can be swapped to the early heads if someone came across that stuff.

You can make a lot of power just by mixing and matching various factory parts. Some j32 and some j35 blocks are more desirable. The j32 cams are about the best stock unless you swap j37 cams in.  J37 intake is the best if you swap to DBC throttle body.  You can do j37 crank in a j35 block to get a j36......