payneinthe

Need 5th wheel toyhauler ideas

We're looking to go to a 5th wheel setup. Did the last 3 seasons w/ a 27' bumper pull toyhauler (Stealth) behind an Excursion. It works for us, but the towing experience sucks. Want something easier to drive and safer.

The problem is that we have 2 requirements that are at odds: must be short enough (<35') to fit into Yosemite campgrounds and must fit a 4-seater rail. The closest I've found so far is a Heartland Cyclone 3418 but the decision-maker doesn't like the location of the stove nor the lack of a living room slide.

What else is out there that might fit my needs?

Not sure on the models but I would do two things whichever way you go. Buy a suspension hitch for the trailer, I think one of the brand names is "Air Force." The suspension hitch makes a huge difference in ride quality and significantly reduces the "rebound" when you hit a dip or bump. 2nd thing is putting in a winch to pull the buggy in. A winch with a remote lets you get away with extremely limited space when putting your buggy in. As far as room goes, if needed you can cut length by putting loading tires on all four corners, I had to do that with one of my setups. Putting small tires on the front can get you 4 or so more inches depending on the configuration of the front of your buggy.

One cool thing a guy on here did was alter his ramp door to allow room for his engine cage to stick out. Good luck.

Thanks. I did switch to using a winch last season (my remote is yelling at my wife to push the button :D). That has made it easier since -- in our current setup -- there's about 1/2" on either side  between the car and the oven/wall once the loading tires are on. Good idea on also using loading tires for the front. Width isn't an issue there, but I hadn't thought about the length gains.

The bigger reason to use a winch is to save your clutch. That's when most of the clutch damage occurs, when it's getting feathered to get in the trailer, not when it's being driven in the dunes.  

Dunesport is making trailers again. You order what you want for interior, you can probably get a 35' with 17' of clear space. They don't have lots of bells and whistles and get the job done. 

https://dunesport.com/

Carson used to build the something similar. 

What are the dimensions of the rail? This will help with your search.

If you're looking at buying a truck and obviously a trailer have you considered a motorhome? A flatbed or box trailer for glamis and a limitless number of cars to tow behind for a Yosemite trip or whatever. Just an option.

Your basing your decision off of Yosemite legal length. Maximum RV/trailer lengths: In Yosemite Valley, the maximum RV length is 40 feet and maximum trailer length is 35 feet, however, only a total of 12 sites of this size are available (six sites each in Lower Pines and North Pines, which are open spring through fall. How many times a year do you go?

We were looking at the Attitude 31 CRSG. Just under 35ft.

The current rail is a little over 13' long and 68" hub-to-hub in the rear, but I'll probably upgrade to something better in the next year or 2.

The max length listed for Yosemite camp sites is overly conservative. If it fits, it camps.

I floated the motorhome idea, but we camp off the pad, so that wouldn't work too well for us.

Edited by payneinthe

I would call Cactus RV in Tucson and speak to Jeff (Hambone on here).  I know some folks have posted that they didn't have good experience with him and some folks have a great experience with him.  I have met him and he knows his stuff when it comes to fitting something inside a toyhauler.  Look up Rowley White also.  My buddy had an awesome experience with the dealer in Phoenix.

12 minutes ago, ggjpguy said:

I would call Cactus RV in Tucson and speak to Jeff (Hambone on here).  I know some folks have posted that they didn't have good experience with him and some folks have a great experience with him.  I have met him and he knows his stuff when it comes to fitting something inside a toyhauler.  Look up Rowley White also.  My buddy had an awesome experience with the dealer in Phoenix.

Jeff is doing his own thing now at a Desert Rv.  WWW.desertrvcenter.com I would agree when it comes to fitting something in a toyhauler Jeff knows his stuff.

If you are looking for an older trailer, my Gearbox 335FS has ~15' to the cabinet and is ~34' overall. Could fit a big car inside with some careful planning 

16 hours ago, steinberg55 said:

Dunesport is making trailers again. You order what you want for interior, you can probably get a 35' with 17' of clear space. They don't have lots of bells and whistles and get the job done. 

https://dunesport.com/

Carson used to build the something similar. 

This looks like a good option....does anyone have one of their trailers? I'm curious how the build quality is? I'd wonder if it's better than the mainstream trailers out there. I like the 32' overall length 5th wheel that has 180" to the first cabinets.