mike dee

Transporting a Rail/SxS

How do you transport your toy? 

In gear or in neutral after tied down?

Neutral with parking brake...... (SxS)..... and 6 tiedowns.... 4,  3” and 2,  2.5”......  2,  3” in the front, other 4 in the rear.

Edited by RK Racing

in the toyhauler my car I keep in natural, on my flatbed just incase I have a strap issue I keep it in gear

Jeff fields auto in park , no straps in toy hauler

Timing belt driven engines should be secured in neutral in case they do move. If in gear, was told they could jump timing if car comes loose.

Subscribed!

I strap my rail down in the enclosed in neutral.

Neutral, always.

1 hour ago, Grease Monkey said:

Timing belt driven engines should be secured in neutral in case they do move. If in gear, was told they could jump timing if car comes loose.

We park on top of a hill once, guy puts his car in gear..........try to leave for a ride, car won't start.   While we were sitting there the timing belt skipped a tooth.

Neutrals all of the time

Rhino, neutral in trailer with ratchet tie downs.

8 minutes ago, dbart said:

Rhino, neutral in trailer with ratchet tie downs.

Rhino, in H/L in trailer, Parking brake on with ratchet tie downs.

2 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Rhino, in H/L in trailer, Parking brake on with ratchet tie downs.

Oh yeah....parking brake on too!

:bigrin

this sounds like a rubber timing chain VS metal timing chain topic. no way my metal timing chain is going to jump a tooth unless I have bigger issues.. now when I had my Subi yea the rubber belt did skip a tooth or 2

with that said I tow 3 ways ways. depend if I forgot to put it back in neutral or left it in reverse or 1st. pick your poison.

Edited by BRINGENKAOS

20 minutes ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

this sounds like a rubber timing chain VS metal timing chain topic. no way my metal timing chain is going to jump a tooth unless I have bigger issues.. now when I had my Subi yea the rubber belt did skip a tooth or 2

with that said I tow 3 ways ways. depend if I forgot to put it back in neutral or left it in reverse or 1st. pick your poison.

mine is in gear...…..when I forget to put it in in neutral after loading. Seems I've heard that if the car is moving back and forth slightly the tranny gears are meshing with no oil being slung and spun onto them and it's bad.....or so I remember.

34 minutes ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

That's what I was thinking, there is no way my chain is going to skip a tooth.

sr1 rhino- strapped in neutral inside toy hauler

Neutral or in gear. Whatever my mood is. 4 straps.

Always in neutral in the enclosed or on the flat bed. Always 4 straps holding the car in place.

Love the guys that spend $30k on a sxs and buy 2 of the cheapest harbor freight straps to secure it to the trailer.

1 hour ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

I don’t understand how an engine spinning at 7000rpm, downshifting with no rev matching, etc, never skips a tooth, but rolling an inch or three on a trailer and it skips? :blink:

11 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I don’t understand how an engine spinning at 7000rpm, downshifting with no rev matching, etc, never skips a tooth, but rolling an inch or three on a trailer and it skips? :blink:

It’s  special!

3 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Subscribed!

Don't go getting bashful, it's no secret you haul more car$, more often, then a large number of us combined. So what is you procedure?

21 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Don't go getting bashful, it's no secret you haul more car$, more often, then a large number of us combined. So what is you procedure?

Sandpsycho......  how do you transport your SxS.........

10 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

All sand cars are transported in neutral. Just like when I park in camp, in my shop, or anywhere. I always leave a manual trans in neutral. Been a habit since my dirt bike riding days. If the trans has Park then it goes in Park. Only exception to that is the Jeff Fields 3 speed automatic. Fields says to transport his cars in neutral only so that's what we do.

SxS's have a Park so they go in Park. I do have one very picky client that wants his SxSs put in Neutral for transports. "If they roll back and forth it could hurt the trans... blah blah blah". If a SxS is rolling back and forth while being transported then we have other problems.

33 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

Sandpsycho......  how do you transport your SxS.........

Every golf course I have been to has them for just a few dollars, so I don't own one. 

:golf:

3 hours ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

you are correct, Subie.