mike dee

Transporting a Rail/SxS

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Every golf course I have been to has them for just a few dollars, so I don't own one. 

:golf:

Lol!!!

In toyhauler or when I had a flatbed it was ties down with 4 straps.

In Neutral if I remembered.

3 hours ago, RK Racing said:

It’s  special!

I assume because it can spin the motor backwards? Seems like you’d see scoobies everywhere skipping teeth because the owner left it in 1st his driveway...

It's been a while but should still be true. When transporting a vehicle it must be tied down by  4 separate points. Using one to go from one side of a trailer thru a rear bumper to the other of the trailer could have you talking to a CHiPie. In a box trailer it's not a concern but still a good idea. :cheers:

Had friend lose a car out the back of his toyhauler just as he got home up his steep hill street.  He was a two strap tie down guy.  Obviously they came extremely loose and with car in neutral, the weight of the car opened the door and their it went.

I believe no matter what if you tie it down properly with 4 tiedowns, two in front in a X pattern and same in the rear it shouldn’t matter if it’s in nuetral or gear.  Now I do keep it in neutral until it’s tied down and settled in position.  After that I think it doesn’t matter as long as it’s tied down correctly.

The razor i treat like a red-headed step child.  Put it in park, lock pedal parking brake then use a 3” ratchet tie down vertically to floor.  The tie downs in my toy hauler seem cheap as eff* and the rings want to bend anyway.  I have a secure rear door and a kitchen up front close to the front wheels to keep it from moving much.  If I end up in an accident I’m sure that car would be the last of my worries while crashing with a TH

Edited by mike dee

6 hours ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

this sounds like a rubber timing chain VS metal timing chain topic. no way my metal timing chain is going to jump a tooth unless I have bigger issues.. now when I had my Subi yea the rubber belt did skip a tooth or 2

with that said I tow 3 ways ways. depend if I forgot to put it back in neutral or left it in reverse or 1st. pick your poison.

5 hours ago, jaybird95 said:

That's what I was thinking, there is no way my chain is going to skip a tooth.

Right out of the Yamaha YXZ service manual;

NOTICE

"It is very important to only rotate the motor clockwise, if the motor is rotated counterclockwise with the cylinder head cover removed, even a few degrees, the timing chain will climb over the camshaft gear teeth and change the camshaft timing (jump time) – this can happen even if the timing chain tensioner is installed"

Yes, I know... point being, even with a chain driven cam(s), jumped timing is possible on certain motors as a result of reverse or counter-rotation... it would appear only the interference of the chain contacting the underside of the cylinder head cover (what I've been incorrectly referring to as a cam cover for as long as I can remember) , is what's preventing the chain from jumping  gear teeth.  Do what you're comfortable with... for me, I see no point in pushing my luck... if nothing else, I'd rather keep the head cover aluminum on the head cover.  

Deckover Flatbed, neutral with 2x 1” orange homedepot straps

5 minutes ago, carboy said:

Right out of the Yamaha YXZ service manual;

NOTICE

"It is very important to only rotate the motor clockwise, if the motor is rotated counterclockwise with the cylinder head cover removed, even a few degrees, the timing chain will climb over the camshaft gear teeth and change the camshaft timing (jump time) – this can happen even if the timing chain tensioner is installed"

Yes, I know... point being, even with a chain driven cam(s), jumped timing is possible on certain motors as a result of reverse or counter-rotation... it would appear only the interference of the chain contacting the underside of the cylinder head cover (what I've been incorrectly referring to as a cam cover for as long as I can remember) , is what's preventing the chain from jumping  gear teeth.  Do what you're comfortable with... for me, I see no point in pushing my luck... if nothing else, I'd rather keep the head cover aluminum on the head cover.  

No differant than changing a belt on a Polaris,  spin the clutch to far in the opposite direction — you’re done.  It takes a bit to do so not seeing how this can happen so easily while some what ties down.

i tried to start my rzr once with a weak battery and the engine kicked back and broke a timing chain guide so i guess it is possible for a chain or belt to jump especially in a  engine that has a hydraulic tensioner . i just put it in park and two straps when towing 

2 minutes ago, mike dee said:

No differant than changing a belt on a Polaris,  spin the clutch to far in the opposite direction — you’re done.  It takes a bit to do so not seeing how this can happen so easily while some what ties down.

I was merely responding to the notion that a timing chain couldn't jump timing.  Couldn't agree with you more with regards to a vehicle that's properly secured, but I suppose people have had failures, either with the tie downs or anchors... in gear gives you that last ditch safety net, keeping your ride on that open trailer or from rolling back and forth in your enclosed or toy hauler.  In the world according to me, use quality shit, equip your trailer with secure anchors that aren't going to pull out or fail, learn the proper method of securing a vehicle for transport... problem solved.   

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I don’t understand how an engine spinning at 7000rpm, downshifting with no rev matching, etc, never skips a tooth, but rolling an inch or three on a trailer and it skips? :blink:

Most timing chain tensioners are hydrolic so with the engine not running the tension loosens a bit. 

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Most timing chain tensioners are hydrolic so with the engine not running the tension loosens a bit. 

Tis a belt sir. 

On 1/11/2019 at 2:52 PM, jaybird95 said:

That's what I was thinking, there is no way my chain is going to skip a tooth.

Yes it will, I have had one slip while driving. They do get sloppy. I am talking about a timing chain. DON~~~

Long time ago (15 years) I camped with this guy for like 2 years. New to the sport. Bought a truck, fifth wheel, veedub sand rail and a quad all within a years time.

Wouldn't use a tie down. Loaded and just left everything in gear :blink: The inside of his trailer walls had tire marks.

Him being new I tried to impart some wisdom, refused to listen and was a walking s*** show. Burned his full trash bags in the fire type of guy.

Reminds me of the clowns on the Glamis Facebook pages. Last I heard he sold everything and moved on to a Harley.

30 minutes ago, TD said:

Long time ago (15 years) I camped with this guy for like 2 years. New to the sport. Bought a truck, fifth wheel, veedub sand rail and a quad all within a years time.

Wouldn't use a tie down. Loaded and just left everything in gear :blink: The inside of his trailer walls had tire marks.

Him being new I tried to impart some wisdom, refused to listen and was a walking s*** show. Burned his full trash bags in the fire type of guy.

Reminds me of the clowns on the Glamis Facebook pages. Last I heard he sold everything and moved on to a Harley.

Hahaha yeah there are some absolute kooks on the Glamis FB pages. It's rather entertaining.

1 minute ago, Desert Disciple said:

Hahaha yeah there are some absolute kooks on the Glamis FB pages. It's rather entertaining.

DO you have GPS coordinates for said Kooks?

What color should my gas cans Be? 

There should be a law against that

1 minute ago, MWB said:

Hahahaha EXACTLY!!!! :swig:

45 minutes ago, MWB said:

Coordinates! My kids love destination spots and Kooks.

Kooks in an airplane would be a major plus.

Is duners diner open?

On 1/11/2019 at 11:34 AM, mike dee said:

How do you transport your toy? 

In gear or in neutral after tied down?

5 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

DOnt ever waist my lunch time again

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

I have camped next to those guy's

1 hour ago, CRUSTY said:

:kenk:

:simrak:

I bet they own a boat too.....  :lmao:

1 hour ago, CRUSTY said:

Is this video from the annual village idiot convention. The combined brain power of that group is less then one halfwit. I would guess all that shit is stolen cuz none of them are smart enough to have a job that pays enough to afford toys. 

Union workers for sure^^^^^

That was about as embarrassing as it gets.