mike dee

Transporting a Rail/SxS

17 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Are you in the habit of loading, removing your cylinder head cover (valve cover, I assume?), then tying it down in gear...?

My guess is the valve cover has built in retaining tabs to keep the timing chain from jumping.  Nissans have these:

4364.jpg

And these pins around the crank sprocket:

nissan-s13oilpump-back1.jpg

To make it nearly unpossible for the chain to skip unless it's suuuuuuuuuuper old and stretched (which you would hear rattling against these retainers) or you've removed the cam gears.  I would assume that nearly every manufacturer has something similar.

The fact remains, Subaru engines are well known for skipping teeth if left in gear, or under certain other situations. I think push starting can do it too, not sure on that.

5 hours ago, socaldmax said:

The fact remains, Subaru engines are well known for skipping teeth if left in gear, or under certain other situations. I think push starting can do it too, not sure on that.

Understood, but it's an automatic spring tensioner just like any other belt.  If push starting or rolling in gear is a problem, what about people not rev-matching on a downshift?  Leaving it in gear on a hill without the parking brake on?  Bump-starting it?  You'd think there'd be a class-action lawsuit for EJ-powered cars skipping teef...

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Understood, but it's an automatic spring tensioner just like any other belt.  If push starting or rolling in gear is a problem, what about people not rev-matching on a downshift?  Leaving it in gear on a hill without the parking brake on?  Bump-starting it?  You'd think there'd be a class-action lawsuit for EJ-powered cars skipping teef...

From what I understand, all of those except the rev matching can result in a cam belt skipping a tooth. I agree with you, a well designed engine shouldn't do that, but from what I've heard from a few friends who have them, it's pretty common. They're very careful not to park it in gear, or transport it in gear.