Sign in to follow this  
ggjpguy

Chinese Lanterns

What is everyone's take on these things? :1cheff:Yes I have launched them at the dunes and other areas.  2 Seasons ago, I had a ranger roll into our camp as I was stomping one out that had started to burn up.  He then began to lecture me on how "If that came down into someones camp and landed on their race gas and blew up the camp, I'd feel pretty bad" Well...seeing as I was a little oiled up:ekeg:, I asked " so if it lands on regular pump gas its o.k.?" I then explained the physics of how these things work, and he did not want to hear it, said that he better not catch me sending anymore up!:nono: Got in is truck and left.:doh:

Now I see on IG  this.....

https://thelightsfest.com/event/southern-california/      :rbj:

So apparently it is o.k. to do this, in an organized event mind you, in Superstition ohv.  

So I guess if you give the BLM $$$$ it's now o.k. to do this? #i'mconfused

I’ve seen complaints against these from people how it produces litter and can catch people’s camp on fire and all that Jazz..  people just like to complain. 

We found a few one trip, they were used once already, and we fixed them up and relit and sent them off. They are pretty enjoyable to see, even when it’s other camps sending them up. 

Ever seen them tied together? They look like a ufo 🛸 

Have lit a few off, do not anymore. Don't really worry about a fire hazard but they are trash and are disappointing to see in the dunes. But then again so are side by side belts... :hmm:

The Ranger gave you a stupid reason for not using them. He should have told you it was littering and left it at that. Saying it's going to come down on someone's race gas and blow up the camp is just dumb.

The website for the event says the lanterns are biodegradable and they have a crew come out and pick them all up within 24 hours. While I'm not going to pay to participate, heading down there for the day to watch a couple thousand of those things be lit off while sitting around a campfire drinking beer might be kind of cool.

They are cool, kids and women enjoy them.

But just like fireworks,  they just end up as more trash, so in that aspect they suck.

I was more worried about this guy in camp shooting off his crow/bird flare gun at us...LOL.

:hmm:

I use them frequently, but I do and stop and pick up others all weekend in fair return.  Pick and choose what rules to break

Please stop with the racist adjectives, they are Oriental Lanterns. Now go out and have some Hispanic food.

Thank you.

Seen some of the lanterns with a bamboo frame that are supposedly  100% biodegradable. Seen others with a wire frame that clearly are not biodegradable.

First time I saw them launched down at Glamis I was digging it. Then the next day out riding they were all over the dunes. Went on throughout the season. Then I went down for the clean up weekend and I policed from wash road over to the tracks from about 3 down to 20ish. Probably picked up a couple hundred of the damn things tangled in the bushes and fence. They might be biodegradable but it won't be during the next several generations.

And I have seen lit ones land on haulers and in camp. Never saw the camp blow up though. 

My take is that they are nice to watch but if you send them up you should be required to have them attached to fishing line and a pole.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:11 AM, aceisback said:

My take is that they are nice to watch but if you send them up you should be required to have them attached to fishing line and a pole.

Actually not a bad idea.... but I don’t want it falling back on my race gas and blowing up my camp...

Edited by B0NES
Misspelling

Next weekend is the annual dunes cleanup weekend. Hang out with us handing out raffle tickets and be appalled at how many you see occupying space in our trailer before it gets dumped. It’s a race for which is more common: beer cans or Chinese lanterns.

They’re large bags of paper and light kindling with an oil soaked rag in the middle that you set on fire. Not exactly far fetched they can cause problems...

Edited by Rockwood

13 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Next weekend is the annual dunes cleanup weekend. Hang out with us handing out raffle tickets and be appalled at how many you see occupying space in our trailer before it gets dumped. It’s a race for which is more common: beer cans or Chinese lanterns.

They’re large bags of paper and light kindling with an oil soaked rag in the middle that you set on fire. Not exactly far fetched they can cause problems...

They offset the tampons and used condoms nicely though

14 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Actually I’ll be there. And although I choose not to complain online about the trash that’s out there, I regularly pick up other peoples trash. Both left behind from camps and out in the dunes. I grew up at the beach and have always done the same thing with the great tourists who leave their trash on our beaches. ..Had to clean up after them.

I’ll see you out there rockwood. Is the clean up on Saturday?

27 minutes ago, B0NES said:

Actually I’ll be there. And although I choose not to complain online about the trash that’s out there, I regularly pick up other peoples trash. Both left behind from camps and out in the dunes. I grew up at the beach and have always done the same thing with the great tourists who leave their trash on our beaches. ..Had to clean up after them.

I’ll see you out there rockwood. Is the clean up on Saturday?

Yep. MLK weekend, Saturday and we can always use volunteers helping to pass out raffle tickets, fry burgers, etc.  

As for complaining, it’s a thread about everyone’s take on these. Lots see bio degradable and think it’s okay. Problem in the desert is there’s no water to break it down, so they’ll be there for years. This site is about education.

Edited by Rockwood

At the end of the day, they are trash in the dunes. Oddly enough there was one floating over the 405 FWY in Garden Grove/Westminster area last night around 10 PM

1 hour ago, AlpineFunco said:

The Ranger gave you a stupid reason for not using them. He should have told you it was littering and left it at that. Saying it's going to come down on someone's race gas and blow up the camp is just dumb.

The website for the event says the lanterns are biodegradable and they have a crew come out and pick them all up within 24 hours. While I'm not going to pay to participate, heading down there for the day to watch a couple thousand of those things be lit off while sitting around a campfire drinking beer might be kind of cool.

Not really BS. Probably a bit dramatic though.

We saw one land on the roof of a rig next to our camp and catch the roof on fire. They were able to get it out by throwing beer and sand on the roof. We will not light them after seeing that. 

Edited by punkur67

6 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

We saw one land on the roof of a rig next to our camp and catch the roof on fire. They were able to get it out by throwing beer and sand on the roof. We will not light them after seeing that. 

Sad. RIP beer...

2 hours ago, ggjpguy said:

So I guess if you give the BLM $$$$ it's now o.k. to do this? #i'mconfused

I think you can do all kinds of stuff if you give the BLM money. It would explain Roadrunner, and a group normally on Pad 3 that can get away with pretty much anything we can't.

33 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

Agreed.

58 minutes ago, badgas said:

At the end of the day, they are trash in the dunes. Oddly enough there was one floating over the 405 FWY in Garden Grove/Westminster area last night around 10 PM

Im sure that was a real UFO 🙄

:ken:  They taste like skeet......and they're easy to hit. Just pick up yore shot shells before you break camp.

3 hours ago, punkur67 said:

How about it burning a hole in your awning. DON~~~

3 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I think you can do all kinds of stuff if you give the BLM money. It would explain Roadrunner, and a group normally on Pad 3 that can get away with pretty much anything we can't.

Exactly! I hade a first hand experience seeing a guy with a herd of unleashed wiener dogs and a full blown DJ system abuse Glamis for days on end, never even contacted...claimed to be connected.

Edited by BaBaBouy

47 minutes ago, BaBaBouy said:

Exactly! I hade a first hand experience seeing a guy with a herd of unleashed wiener dogs and a full blown DJ system abuse Glamis for days on end, never even contacted...claimed to be connected.

Ive been connected for years.... unfortunately those were with braclets owned by the blm for detainment for an unnecessary investigation over a ketchup bottle in camp in the dirty washes