onanysunday

Handheld radio question

So I have a Rugged 660 and Yaesu radio for the buggy and it all works awesome. Need to put something in the new Can Am SxS and don't want to break the bank. For desert and mountains only how well would a handheld radio work? My buddy told me yesterday in the desert it is nice for everyone to spread out from the dust and then let the next person know of a turn or y in the road.  Looks like Rugged has several handheld radios on their site.  I already have this under the helmet headseat.  It works great with my snowboard helmet and I would wear the same setup. It does have the big plug so not sure if I would need an adapter to go into the handheld unit. Also how would you mount the handheld to get to the button easily?  My thought was up high under  the roll bar. Better for reception?  My other option is to do quick disconnects to move the radio gear over from the buggy to the sxs each time but that would be a PITA. Plus all of the wiring. 

A bunch on our group just run a Baofeng UV5R ( https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A ) - The same radio rugged sells but in blue.

and a cheap helmet kit and it works GREAT! In the high desert a few mile range easy.

2 minutes ago, 1slomofo said:

A bunch on our group just run a Baofeng UV5R ( https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A ) - The same radio rugged sells but in blue.

and a cheap helmet kit and it works GREAT! In the high desert a few mile range easy.

Wow! $25 is cheap. 

I do also see a lot of Horizon lower priced Marine radios online. 

The Baefengs are cheap and easy to program...you can get the helmet kit or an intercom for the sxs and run the handheld as the radio...You already dumped a bunch of cash...I would just put a bigger radio in the can am. The hand held will not get out as far in the mountains as a bigger radio.

Not the cheapest option, but the Yaesu ft-270 works pretty well and very durable.  Higher quality than the Rugged handheld and you can get them unlocked and have unlimited frequencies.

15 minutes ago, 1newbie said:

Not the cheapest option, but the Yaesu ft-270 works pretty well and very durable.  Higher quality than the Rugged handheld and you can get them unlocked and have unlimited frequencies.

We have a several of these in our group and they work great. Most of the bikes and quads in our group have them.

I am sure Socaldmax will chime in. I bought my Yaesu from him and very happy with it. Unlocking all the channels would be nice. I would also need to know how to plug my rugged headset into it. Plus where and how to mount it for ease of pushing the button to talk. 

51 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

The Baefengs are cheap and easy to program...you can get the helmet kit or an intercom for the sxs and run the handheld as the radio...You already dumped a bunch of cash...I would just put a bigger radio in the can am. The hand held will not get out as far in the mountains as a bigger radio.

I am not following you when you say bigger radio.

45 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

I am sure Socaldmax will chime in. I bought my Yaesu from him and very happy with it. Unlocking all the channels would be nice. I would also need to know how to plug my rugged headset into it. Plus where and how to mount it for ease of pushing the button to talk. 

you can get a harness (Rugged sells one) like you have in your other car that just plugs into the Yaesu that has PTT button and a plug for your headset.  This is the setup that we run when pre-running on bikes in Baja.

Edited by 1newbie
update

I have a new in box handheld from Rugged . I bought it a couple years ago and never used it. I will take $50 and can deliver to Glamis next weekend.

4 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

I have a new in box handheld from Rugged . I bought it a couple years ago and never used it. I will take $50 and can deliver to Glamis next weekend.

PM Sent

While I do like Yaesu mobile radios, I think the Baofeng UV-5R is a better value than the FT-270r.

The Baofeng is much cheaper, comes with a higher cap. battery, better battery chemistry for more charge cycles(Li-ion vs NIMH), doesn't need to be modified to transmit on 150-160 MHz and now comes in a 7w or 8w model. They both have 200 memory locations.

There is no doubt the FT-270R is a higher quality radio in terms of design and build quality, but for the price difference, you can buy a complete intercom interface kit for the Baofeng for the price of the FT-270 and for recreational use like this, the UV-5R works well enough.

The best thing you can do for the UV-5R is replace the antenna with a 14" antenna. It drastically increases your range, both TX and Rx.

To answer the original question, I'd suggest getting another RRP-660 intercom and a 50 watt Yaesu radio. I wear the same helmet in either my rail or SxS, so I just plug into the intercom system in either vehicle. Everything else looks and works the same. I even have the same GPS in both rides with all the same waypoints. 

I prefer to have a chassis strong enough for the max speed of the vehicle, and a radio that can reach all the way back to camp.

id just put a radio without the intercom setup and mount a aux speaker or mount it up high so you can hear it. alot of places dont have cell service so the radio is the only chance you have if you have a problem. my experience with the handhelds they do work good line of site  been able to talk to camp at wash 10 when i was on the top of olds but couldn't get a friend two bowls ahead. if you doing a trail ride and someone is 5 min ahead of you and they are doing 60 on a fire road they will probably be out of range  

4 hours ago, 1slomofo said:

What kind of headset do you have? 

I also have the Baofeng UV-5R. 

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

To answer the original question, I'd suggest getting another RRP-660 intercom and a 50 watt Yaesu radio. I wear the same helmet in either my rail or SxS, so I just plug into the intercom system in either vehicle. Everything else looks and works the same. I even have the same GPS in both rides with all the same waypoints. 

I prefer to have a chassis strong enough for the max speed of the vehicle, and a radio that can reach all the way back to camp.

What 14" antenna did you buy for the Baofeng? 

2 hours ago, socaldmax said:

At first I was thinking about just adding brackets and moving my radio gear back and forth. Problem is mounting it in the Can Am would be a Royal PITA.  This guy did it and looks like some big aftermarket piece and the rugged metal bracket underneath to mount the radio and intercom. Not much room up in that dash. (Stock cockpit photo attached)  Just don't want to buy a complete set of gear again either. I know the range will be marginal depending on terrain but need to stick with the handheld route. This looks like a nice kit with extra battery and the longer antenna.   I am guessing this is the cord from Rugged to used my headset. 

d7f95c4e-2bb9-4ad4-9729-f900024721b6.jpg

1 hour ago, onanysunday said:

At first I was thinking about just adding brackets and moving my radio gear back and forth. Problem is mounting it in the Can Am would be a Royal PITA.  This guy did it and looks like some big aftermarket piece and the rugged metal bracket underneath to mount the radio and intercom. Not much room up in that dash. (Stock cockpit photo attached)  Just don't want to buy a complete set of gear again either. I know the range will be marginal depending on terrain but need to stick with the handheld route. This looks like a nice kit with extra battery and the longer antenna.   I am guessing this is the cord from Rugged to used my headset. 

d7f95c4e-2bb9-4ad4-9729-f900024721b6.jpg

If you don't want to mount or add some brackets this is what I bought from Amazon. I don't know how you add the link (can you PM me with instructions? ). It was 6.29 and Prime. Has a belt loop that has velcro and 2 snap buttons. Might not be ideal or exactly what you want but it keeps it portable. 

50 watt vs 5 watt hand held...bigger is better....so my wife says...

I used a handheld for a number of years, with an auxiliary microphone that had a port for earbuds. I clipped the microphone to my shoulder strap so I could easily talk in to it, very much like some LEO’s do. I used the earbuds because I don’t hear that well, and couldn’t always hear what was being said even with the mic right next to my ear.

4 hours ago, sinverguenza said:

There is a 15" suggested in the Amazon link.

9 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

There is a 15" suggested in the Amazon link.

Thanks

4 hours ago, sinverguenza said:

It's a NA-771. Make sure it's the right gender connector, they also sell the reverse gender.

If you want a 60w radio this is the same one rugged sells just different color.  This is black vs theirs is white.  They also opened it up and soldiered the patch cable so you can hide the cables in the back.  If the patch cable coming to the front of the radio does not bother you, its about as powerful a radio you can get for the price.  Been using them for years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TYT-TH-9000D-Selectable-Frequency-Car-Truck-Ham-Radio-Transceiver-CTCSS-DCS-Scan-/131446379253

image.thumb.png.7aa5fae24a551fcc9d904661062f25fe.pngimage.png.ed6483b9b85dd6e08c9d584609c483eb.png

10 minutes ago, r3meyer said:

If you want a 60w radio this is the same one rugged sells just different color.  This is black vs theirs is white.  They also opened it up and soldiered the patch cable so you can hide the cables in the back.  If the patch cable coming to the front of the radio does not bother you, its about as powerful a radio you can get for the price.  Been using them for years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TYT-TH-9000D-Selectable-Frequency-Car-Truck-Ham-Radio-Transceiver-CTCSS-DCS-Scan-/131446379253

image.thumb.png.7aa5fae24a551fcc9d904661062f25fe.pngimage.png.ed6483b9b85dd6e08c9d584609c483eb.png

What is this patch cable you are speaking of?