Provost33

New 4 seat build

Anyone have any pictures of a aluminum hood with the VW beam front end?  I’m going to run some tube from the windshield down towards the beam and fill in the hood as well as the side pieces between the hood and the main side pieces If that makes sense 

Here is some, even slipped you one with no hood... 

6295.jpeg

IMG_20180303_170025024_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171024_102039687.jpg

IMG_20180218_123246357_HDR.jpg

Got the hood and bumper mocked up.  I angled the middle bars up a little so its not just a flat hood.  Not sure if I like it yet or not. 

I was going to paint all the cardboard black but that go old fast 

12107997-7978-4239-89BC-04F935B100E2.jpeg

607E4ABB-4A94-4132-A333-22F4F73BC233.jpeg

Im going to order a aluminum sheet for the hood. any input on how thick I need for these panels?

9 hours ago, Provost33 said:

Im going to order a aluminum sheet for the hood. any input on how thick I need for these panels?

Same as your side panels. :bigrin 

BTW: less work for the shock if you flip the fronts. 

Any thoughts or worries about how the radiator is mocked up directly to the frame? I thought about installing some rubber between the bolt flanges.  I know it’s not in ideal spot for air flow but I really hate getting it up over the rear passengers because I worry I’m going to break a hose and spray hot coolant on them. I made a nice expanded steel cover for it as well 

E29DDFF5-0E9C-4199-A8C6-2E633E66C9C2.jpeg

5B621985-8474-4723-8E3F-DA622EA0E201.jpeg

8EEA1F22-9E82-46D6-8ECB-F160BADF4F79.jpeg

Edited by Provost33

Not sure I would want to the radiator there, anything gets kicked up by the tires it has a good chance of going into the radiator.

Yeah, not a good spot. 

Ya I think I knew it all along but didn’t want to believe it because it was easy and already done.  If I wanted to get a new aluminum radiator,  how do I know what size to get? And is there a good spot to order one?  I’m thinking I need to just mount it above the motor like most everyone else does 

5 hours ago, Provost33 said:

Ya I think I knew it all along but didn’t want to believe it because it was easy and already done.  If I wanted to get a new aluminum radiator,  how do I know what size to get? And is there a good spot to order one?  I’m thinking I need to just mount it above the motor like most everyone else does 

Kartek sells some nice radiator mounts to put it on the rear cage behind the seats. It come with rubber pads and won’t crack the radiator when the chassis twists. I’ve used them on several cars. One of the board members on here did a couple VW to Honda swaps and used replacement jeep Cherokee radiators from amazon or eBay. They’re pretty cheap and come with three fans.  Also, I use all silicone instead of rubber elbows and aluminum tubing for my coolant lines. They last forever and allow the radiator to move around in its mount a little. Rubber gets hard and brittle over time. 

Edited by jwest2sh

3 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

Kartek sells some nice radiator mounts to put it on the rear cage behind the seats. It come with rubber pads and won’t crack the radiator when the chassis twists. I’ve used them on several cars. One of the board members on here did a couple VW to Honda swaps and used replacement jeep Cherokee radiators from amazon or eBay. They’re pretty cheap and come with three fans.  Also, I use all silicone rubber elbows and aluminum tubing for my coolant lines. They last forever and allow the radiator to move around in its mount a little. Rubber gets hard and brittle over time. 

Thanks! Ya I think if I get good aluminum tubing and elbows it will make me feel better about having the hot coolant running right behind the kids heads. 

Thanks to the rona I have some time to work on the rig.  Front hood is complete 

75533477-BD40-420C-AF64-44758602485F.jpeg

BEF240DF-4D70-4F88-8673-7BD5AF3FA4C2.jpeg

D1B66F21-1ABA-4B0B-87B7-3E84FC835785.jpeg

4789D18D-F4C6-4359-AC5E-8BE096E82630.jpeg