rpmsrup

winch for loading

Instead of just mounting my winch to the floor of my enclosed, I mounted it to a plate that is welded to a length of 2” square trailer hitch tubing. I then mounted a trailer hitch receiver to the frame of my enclosed and cut a square hole in the floor above it.

I remove the plastic cover from the hole in the floor, drop the mounted winch in the hole and I’m ready to go.  I can also use the mounted winch on any trailer hitch receiver, PU, Moho, etc.

2 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

How do you hold it in place to pull up your drive way?

I mounted anchor nuts in the concrete of the garage floor.  Works great for disabled vehicles.  I've used it for the rail and a small sedan and works great.  This is what I used, ANCHORS

Edited by Blacklisted

I have the Harbor Freight 5000 lb and been really happy with it, I have it mounted to the floor in the storage cubby and just lift the door under the bed off for use. I have a 2000 lb car and a pretty tall trailer and like others stated sounds under a load when rear tires are going up the back door but keeps pulling. I have a 30ft tag and it has enough cable to run about 10ft past the back door if needed. That model does not come with a wireless remote but I just bought one separate and that made life even easier.

15 hours ago, Blacklisted said:

I mounted anchor nuts in the concrete of the garage floor.  Works great for disabled vehicles.  I've used it for the rail and a small sedan and works great.  This is what I used, ANCHORS

The axles are flipped on my TH and the ramp is really steep.  My 6000lb HF winch pulls up my car,  but you can tell its working pretty good.  I mounted my HF 6000lb winch to  a removable frame that I can pin to hooks and beefy attachment points I installed into the floor.   Bolts go all the way through to the frame.  I ran power leads up under the stairs.  When the sofa is down it covers one of the D attachment points and the captain's chair covers the other.   I also pull it out and use it on my flatbead so its really versatile.   Its a little heavy,  but definitely manageable.

20170505_102147.jpg

19 hours ago, fortyfour said:

I put a Smittybilt 9000lb winch on the front of my trailer, it will pull anything you hook to it.  I chose that particular one because it had a 50' spool of 3/8  wire rope, a series wound motor and a lifetime warranty on the planetary gearset. It was $300 from Summit.

I use it every time I load the car on the trailer at home when the paddles are on. When loading at the dunes I just drive it on. 

4wd.com owns smittybilt. If you order their generic version, it’s $80 cheaper (for the synthetic XRC model at least) and they still send you the smittybilt branded model anyway. 

My friend and I went to harbor freight. I bought the 5 k and he got the 2500. His struggles and is slow with a light weight buggy. I have a steeper ramp and had a big v8 car. My winch had a long cable, I could grab the car from across the camp and rip it over and in the trailer no problem. I think for the extra 40 bucks I did fine.

2 hours ago, quadman1 said:

My friend and I went to harbor freight. I bought the 5 k and he got the 2500. His struggles and is slow with a light weight buggy. I have a steeper ramp and had a big v8 car. My winch had a long cable, I could grab the car from across the camp and rip it over and in the trailer no problem. I think for the extra 40 bucks I did fine.

I have the 5k HF on my truck to pull my buggy up on the rack it works great.  The ramps are fairly steep and it pulls it up like a champ.  The best thing I did with the winch is put the synthetic winch cable on, no more kinking or twisting knotting and when you free spool it it doesn't try to bird cage.

20171122_101553.thumb.jpg.b1ecdfb4e73b27498cbdbb698680e8a7.jpg

11 hours ago, quadman1 said:

I wanted the 2500 too based on price and it may have done th job. But my mind said go next size up so I don't do this twice. 

A friend has the 2500 and a 3-4 hundred pound lighter car his struggles getting the car just onto first part of ramp and up it. Mine slows down on first part but once wheels are on ramp it pulls easy. 

I also liked the 3500 has thicker and longer cable. I've learned from the past go next size up from the size you think you need. 

I put some D-rings in the floor of the TH and got a 3500 HF winch, that I mounted all the parts to a piece of wood. My buddy owned a tow business and had some jumper cables that plug into the metal box on my winch board that I can run to the TH batteries.  Then I got some axles straps that I used to hook it to the car and the D-rings.  Best thing I did, cause my first trip to Glamis my car broke and it was easy to get it in the trailer.  My car weighs around 2200lbs if I remember correctly and it pulls it in no problem. 

39E3D26F-D079-454F-B442-968DC27B9DB3.jpeg

Edited by El Diablo
Auto correct malfunction!!