rpmsrup

winch for loading

I have seen a few of these at work. They will pull a good rolling car up an average ramp but it will be slow AF and you will wonder if it's going burn up. They will not drag a broken car on flat ground. 

I think you'll wish you bought a 5K Harbor Frieght winch that was bolted in for the same money, if your going to use it to load your car on any sort of regular basis. 

I have this bad boy bolted in the front bathroom through the floor to the frame. Tugs my 2500lb buggy in the trailer no problem. Just needs a full 12v charge on the battery, or run the genny.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lbs-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61840.html

1600 pound car and use a 3000 -3500 pound harbor freight winch its the 140 buck one. Works fine for my car but if I had a heavier car I'd go 5k winch. 

3 minutes ago, acefuture said:

I have this bad boy bolted in the front bathroom through the floor to the frame. Tugs my 2500lb buggy in the trailer no problem. Just needs a full 12v charge on the battery, or run the genny.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lbs-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61840.html

Can i see a pic of how you mounted it?

I really liked that I didnt have to bolt it in as there are other toys in the way. and my car is last in, maybe ! can make something to hook it to the floor cleat

5 minutes ago, thowell said:

Can i see a pic of how you mounted it?

It comes with a mounting plate. I used 10" grade 8 bolts through the floor board. Fortunately theres a frame rail right under the cabinet that I was able to bolt it to. Then silicon around the bolts inside.

winch1.jpg.07afa59a30e15022a53e69f953198416.jpg

It lines up to my back door and is almost perfectly centered

winch2.jpg.2644a8f595b262d970fe25adc4cd4745.jpg

4 minutes ago, acefuture said:

It comes with a mounting plate. I used 10" grade 8 bolts through the floor board. Fortunately theres a frame rail right under the cabinet that I was able to bolt it to. Then silicon around the bolts inside.

winch1.jpg.07afa59a30e15022a53e69f953198416.jpg

It lines up to my back door and is almost perfectly centered

winch2.jpg.2644a8f595b262d970fe25adc4cd4745.jpg

Thank you! That looks great

so I have the same one and so does itweeks

it has a internal circuit breaker, itsweeks works better thank mine,

on  a flat deck 5thwheel tohauler with a steep ramp it turns on and off a couple of times, the cable is super short so I have to rehook 2 times

it works ok but I am going to a floor mount later,

it works best like it designed, moving stuff around the yard hooked to the bumper,  

23 minutes ago, acefuture said:

I have one of these mounted to open and close my ramp door on my boxtrailer. I use it at least twice a day when in glamis and it's been in for almost 3 years now. With a coupon 50 bucks.

https://m.harborfreight.com/savings_coupons.html

8 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I have one of these mounted to open and close my ramp door on my boxtrailer. I use it at least twice a day when in glamis and it's been in for almost 3 years now. With a coupon 50 bucks.

Can't beat that price

2 minutes ago, acefuture said:

Can't beat that price

No and it comes with a remote. There are a ton of YouTube vedios where people have used them for trailer movers and other things. There is also one that shows how to wire in a switch to control it in case you lose the remote or just want a backup option.

43 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

And use a snatch block to double its power for broken shit. We use one to pull a buggy up a 45* ramp for my Father in Law’s garage model toy hauler (when you gotta make shit fit, you make it fit). Works great.  

2 hours ago, rpmsrup said:

Will this winch work for loading in my toyhauler i know it only says 1000 lbs lifting power but the car is rolling

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-885000-Corded-PullzAll-120V/dp/B0043OV0IA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1547497200&sr=8-6&keywords=winch

I got the same one for Christmas. I have not used it yet though 

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

How do you have it hooked up to the door?  I was thinking about doing this to mine...

~jw

31 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

How do you have it hooked up to the door?  I was thinking about doing this to mine...

~jw

I have a weld on D ring on the top middle of the trailer door. I use the clip on hook that camp with the winch to clip on to it. I can't find a pic and I'm not going out in the rain and dark to take one. :lol:

Once the door is down, I unhook it and I have a bolt shank on the side I use to hold the cable out of the way. 

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

3 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I have a weld in tie down hoop on the top middle of the trailer door. I use the clip on hook that camp with the winch to clip on to it. I can't find a pic and I'm not going out in the rain and dark to take one. :lol:

Once the door is down, I unhook it and I have a bolt shank on the side I use to hold the cable out of the way. 

Is the winch mounted to the ceiling of the trailer?

I use this one if needed to load my rail in the trailer and if needed to pull a car up my driveway.  120V Winch  I have it mounted to 2x2" square aluminum runners that I can clip to the tie down rings of the trailer.  And it's 120v so it plugs in easy to an outlet.

1 hour ago, jwest2sh said:

Is the winch mounted to the ceiling of the trailer?

No I had to weld in steel tubing and make a plate to mount it. The roof is under 7' on the inside and the door opening is only 6 and a halfish.  So I placed it back and up so I don't hit my head on it all the time. It originally had the cable roller garage spring deal that I finally destroyed catching the cables on my rear tires. Most everything was covered up using the original metal cover for it.

20160609_151402.thumb.jpg.c913f61911aa6a39bbf9d19712a0f5e3.jpg

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

1 hour ago, Blacklisted said:

I use this one if needed to load my rail in the trailer and if needed to pull a car up my driveway.  120V Winch  I have it mounted to 2x2" square aluminum runners that I can clip to the tie down rings of the trailer.  And it's 120v so it plugs in easy to an outlet.

How do you hold it in place to pull up your drive way?

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

16 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

No I had to weld in steel tubing and make a plate to mount it. The roof is under 7' on the inside and the door opening is only 6 and a halfish.  So I placed it back and up so I don't hit my head on it all the time. It originally had the cable roller garage spring deal that I finally destroyed catching the cables on my rear tires. Most everything was covered up using the original metal cover for it.

20160609_151402.thumb.jpg.c913f61911aa6a39bbf9d19712a0f5e3.jpg

Cool....thanks for the pic.

~jw

6 hours ago, rpmsrup said:

Will this winch work for loading in my toyhauler i know it only says 1000 lbs lifting power but the car is rolling

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-885000-Corded-PullzAll-120V/dp/B0043OV0IA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1547497200&sr=8-6&keywords=winch

I have one of these winches. It won’t pull my two seat car onto my flatbed. They are cool for little jobs around the house but it sucks for winching a car around. 

Here is the one I mentioned earlier that I use. Was a lil worried the 2500 might struggle and didn't want to worry about it so got 3500. 

https://m.harborfreight.com/3500-lbs-atvutility-electric-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-61257.html

I have the 5000lb harbor frieght winch in my enclosed.  I live on a slight hill and I can pull my 3000# car up the hill and into the trailer with it.  It struggles just for a minute while the rear wheels are on the steep ramp but hasn't failed me in the 3 or 4 times I have used it.

~jw

I put a Smittybilt 9000lb winch on the front of my trailer, it will pull anything you hook to it.  I chose that particular one because it had a 50' spool of 3/8  wire rope, a series wound motor and a lifetime warranty on the planetary gearset. It was $300 from Summit.

I use it every time I load the car on the trailer at home when the paddles are on. When loading at the dunes I just drive it on.