spize909

Radio or intercom noise

A couple trips ago I started getting an intermittent noise in the headphones. I'd be listening to music, minding my own business driving and it would just start going K K K K K K K K K K K K.......hard to explain but kinda like keying the mike over and over and over but maybe a little more abrupt sounding. It almost seemed like I could push my ptt button and it would stop. Might have been coincidence. Nobody else in the group heard it.

I have a handheld 5watt running through a PCI intercom with headsets and ptt on the steering wheel.

Any ideas? 

PTT wiring getting pulled?

16 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

PTT wiring getting pulled?

I don't think so.......I got a shit ton of slack. I was messing with it as I was driving to see if it changed anything and it didn't seem to. I have another PTT brand new in the bag I am going to try when I get my buggy back together if I don't get an answer.

is there a way to set the squelch level on the radio manually. sound like the squelch might be set to low. can you disconnect the radio from the intercom system and see if you still have the issue might narrow it down

Edited by diesel-e

18 minutes ago, diesel-e said:

is there a way to set the squelch level on the radio manually. sound like the squelch might be set to low. can you disconnect the radio from the intercom system and see if you still have the issue might narrow it down

Yeah, the radios have squelch.......the problem is pretty intermittent so I'll just check the squelch on the radio and if it's low, turn it up a little. 

I wish I could help. I can barely find different channels on mine.  

Is it only when you were listing to music, what are you using for a player?

8 minutes ago, Stugots said:

Is it only when you were listing to music, what are you using for a player?

An old Sony Walkman MP3 player. Works fine in the truck and trailer. I could try not using that next time as well...I doubt it'd be the player but maybe the cord of jack.

i did have several problems with sand getting into the small jack on the helmet kits making the music do funny stuff low volume  clicking  and so on. i never totally resolved the problem it was on one of the atv kits with the small blue radio but there was no intercom in the circuit

Since you've already eliminated the walkman, the other 2 main possibilities would be the squelch on the intercom or the squelch on the radio. My vote would be the intercom is bad, only because I've seen this before on 2 other PCI intercoms. The next time it happens, try adjusting the squelch on the intercom and see if it still changes threshold levels like it's supposed to. It might not, like the other 2. They turned into on/off switches. 

@spize909 Give me a call the next time you are in front of the radio/ intercom and we will run through some test to try to narrow down the issue :)

562-427-8177

Alleigh@pciraceradios.com

1 hour ago, RallyAlleigh said:

@spize909 Give me a call the next time you are in front of the radio/ intercom and we will run through some test to try to narrow down the issue :)

562-427-8177

Alleigh@pciraceradios.com

Sounds good thanks. I think the first trick would be how to get it to replicate the issue.

I had an unplugged cable bouncing on the floor board make clicking noises. 

I've seen many cables broken due to putting them behind bars, then the side panel pinches the cable. If its the mic circuit it could be cutting in and out.