Jump to content
Dennis58

Ok, So things have changed.

Recommended Posts

Side by Side would be perfect for you and your budget and your hauling/toyhauler specs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

FTG---> You will hear lots of opinions... I still say go to G, look around, go to the drags, look at cars talk to people, get a few rides, set your budget and decide. You can always buy and upgrade cars (swap out later)  if you don't like it... just getting back in is the key

I could not agree more and Glamis will be on my fall 2019 vacation list if for nothing more than a couple days of walking around and taking to people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Side by Side would be perfect for you and your budget and your hauling/toyhauler specs.

 

Haven't really touched or looked at one up close and personal but owning one still feels like  being picked last for the basketball team during PE class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO if your budget is $20k, an LS, S4, 934, 2" hollow car is out of the price range. That being said, like evantwheeler stated, you can get a very reliable name brand built car that will take you anywhere you want to go in the dunes and very quickly as well. My dads car is a Sand Limo Squirt with a J35A4 3.5 Honda mated to a bus 091 with 930 CVs and year for year has been the most reliable car in camp over all the big cars and SxSs. He RIPS in this car and will keep up with anyone. The car rides super well and is very nimble. And the best part is it's in your price range (his is not for sale, and probably never will be haha). The right car is out there, just takes some looking around. If it was me, I would buy that 2 seat Alumicraft car that is for sale no questions. Great dialed in car for a great price. But like others said a SxS could work great for your situation since you'd like to go play in the dirt and trails as well. Good luck with the search and welcome to the ever growing rabbit hole that is sand cars.

IMG_7227.thumb.jpg.b7915e190d7ed6463a91069c68cbe2f7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

Haven't really touched or looked at one up close and personal but owning one still feels like  being picked last for the basketball team during PE class.

Micheal Jordan was cut from his High School Basketball team.....

If all you are going to do is go to Glamis and drive down some dry river beds in the desert, get a Sand Car.  If you want to get out in the desert, Mountains, dunes and everything between buy a sand car, a jeep and a dual sport/ adventure motorcycle or just a Side by Side. Don't worry about where you get picked for basketball during PE it has no bearing in where you will end up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MWB said:

Micheal Jordan was cut from his High School Basketball team.....

If all you are going to do is go to Glamis and drive down some dry river beds in the desert, get a Sand Car.  If you want to get out in the desert, Mountains, dunes and everything between buy a sand car, a jeep and a dual sport/ adventure motorcycle or just a Side by Side. Don't worry about where you get picked for basketball during PE it has no bearing in where you will end up.

Lighten up Francis, that was meant as light humor. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

Haven't really touched or looked at one up close and personal but owning one still feels like  being picked last for the basketball team during PE class.

It's not that bad.  Lot of folks on here have owned both, including myself.  I used my Polaris XP1000 way more than I use my sand car.  Never had a single issue in 2500 miles.  Stock belt lasted 2200 miles and it did not live an easy life.   If it wasn't for my group of friends who all own long travel high horsepower sand cars, I would likely still be in a SxS and have tens of thousands of dollars more in my bank account.   You cannot compare a SxS to a long travel sand rail, but if you started out with your expectations being a beam VW powered sand buggy, a SxS's capabilities and suspension will blow your mind and you will not be able to wipe the smile off your face.   Don't listen to the SxS naysayers, their egos are talking.  

Any SxS is going to depreciate at a much quicker rate than a sand rail, but you are likely to have much lower cost of ownership with the SxS (just my honest opinion).  If you buy a brand name sand rail for $20k and keep it properly maintained, it is likely not going to depreciate any further unless the entire economy tanks.   Neither is an investment, obviously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the board.  For dunes only one of the ultimate sand cars is a Funco Gen 3 with a Subie. Light and nimble and a blast to throw around in the dunes. Works well in tight or big dunes. They do pop up in the low to mid 20s but you have to be watching.  This one  has high sides next to the back seats. 350-400 hp in one of these cars is plenty.  If it is an Outfront motor you know it is top notch.  Here is another one which shows the standard sides. Even a 300 hp car priced closer to your budget would be a lot of fun.  If you go side by side get a turbo xp1000 or Can AM X3 turbo.  900-1000s with no turbo will always lack power in the dunes. Sure you can have fun but if you meet up with some different groups that run at a decent speed you will want the turbo. IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

Lighten up Francis, that was meant as light humor. :)

For MWB, that IS light humor! :sha:

I got a late start in the sand. Back when I was racing bikes, sand was something to get through, not where we went on purpose! So when i got into the sand here, Mama and I rode quads, then I built s little old school rail like you are talking about so i could learn dunes and setting up a car and all that. We could have purchased a rail that was done, but I would have been like all the other beginners out there, wit too much HP and not the experience ( or brains ) to run it. I have still never ridden in a true long travel high HP car, and I don't think my life has suffered over much. My little car was very short WB, like 83", lower HP, about 115 out of a toyota 4A-GE MR2 motor, behind an IRS bus trans.  Because it was so small, I could basically drive that like I would a quad. It was a whole lot of fun. It was also sturdy enough that  I would run in it the desert a lot as well. 

I have switched to the SXS,  sold the buggy after building it and tweaking on it for five years or so. I guess after I got it done as far as I could go, without sinking much more $$ into it, I just sold it. I still have the Can Am X3  that I bought in 2016, and if you took it out for a cruise, you would not feel like the last kid picked for a team. The thing is just a blast!

And to all you others out there acting like 60 is old, EFF YOU TOO! I am too close to that to be comfortable with it, mmmkay? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, evantwheeler said:

Any SxS is going to depreciate at a much quicker rate than a sand rail, but you are likely to have much lower cost of ownership with the SxS (just my honest opinion).  If you buy a brand name sand rail for $20k and keep it properly maintained, it is likely not going to depreciate any further unless the entire economy tanks.   Neither is an investment, obviously. 

To keep depreciation at a min I would for sure be buying used and preferably from original owner. I fully understand this is a hobby and as I tell classis car people, there are better things to invest your money into than used Chevy's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dennis58 said:

Haven't really touched or looked at one up close and personal but owning one still feels like  being picked last for the basketball team during PE class.

That’s hilarious 😂.  But really even a stock sxs will blow away most VW rails in power and suspension.  Some of newer ones blow away alot of the rails out their.  I run both and have a ton of fun.  It’s what you like and what works for you, plus budget and time.

Quads, bikes , VW’s , long travel v8’s or SxS’s have their pros and cons.  It’s an endless debate.  Take a weekend and take a look, come out and talk with people (maybe even take a ride).  

Good luck with your search and welcome to Glamisdunes.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WLD-OTZ said:

For MWB, that IS light humor! :sha:

I got a late start in the sand. Back when I was racing bikes, sand was something to get through, not where we went on purpose! So when i got into the sand here, Mama and I rode quads, then I built s little old school rail like you are talking about so i could learn dunes and setting up a car and all that. We could have purchased a rail that was done, but I would have been like all the other beginners out there, wit too much HP and not the experience ( or brains ) to run it. I have still never ridden in a true long travel high HP car, and I don't think my life has suffered over much. My little car was very short WB, like 83", lower HP, about 115 out of a toyota 4A-GE MR2 motor, behind an IRS bus trans.  Because it was so small, I could basically drive that like I would a quad. It was a whole lot of fun. It was also sturdy enough that  I would run in it the desert a lot as well. 

I have switched to the SXS,  sold the buggy after building it and tweaking on it for five years or so. I guess after I got it done as far as I could go, without sinking much more $$ into it, I just sold it. I still have the Can Am X3  that I bought in 2016, and if you took it out for a cruise, you would not feel like the last kid picked for a team. The thing is just a blast!

And to all you others out there acting like 60 is old, EFF YOU TOO! I am too close to that to be comfortable with it, mmmkay? 

Ha, Ha Yea I didn't want to say anything about that 60 comment above because I sure don't feel old just look old.  

I couldn't agree more on needing to learn how to drive the Dunes before I worry about going fast on the Dunes. I also don't see myself drag racing, jumping or doing wheelies for social media. I'm broadening my search and looking at all types of machines now where before I was just focused on old school VW powered rails.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on out to Glamis and do some research. Take a ride in a long travel V8 car, then a SxS, then ride in a VW standard travel rail. You'll soon see why I recommend a long travel rail, if not a V8 long travel rail. After you get out of the VW rail, you'll see why I recommend riding in that one last.

Keep in mind, the advice you're getting here is based on the experience of the poster. Someone who has never owned a long travel rail obviously has no idea what they've never experienced. Another factor is ego. People will defend whatever they bought because they think it's the best. 

The reality is, some people have owned a wide variety of rails and others haven't. I've only owned a long travel rail, but I rode in a lot of different rails when I was doing my research. Even back in 2003, I could see where the trend was going, and it's just getting worse.

The ruts are getting deeper, the whoops are getting deeper, the sand isn't getting any smoother. 

Come on out before the season ends and get a ride in a wide variety of rails. See for yourself what you like. If you like to really carve the dunes like a Porsche, a Subaru powered Funco is unbeatable. If you prefer to follow the terrain and cruise with the flow, then there are a lot of rails that can do that. Keep in mind, the laws of physics always apply. Light cars are nimble and quick, but might ride rougher. Heavier cars can give a smoother ride, but won't quite be as nimble. It depends on what style of driving you like, what characteristics are important to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to :gd: where you'll get all the information you  asked for and additional information you didn't know you needed to know!

:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Welcome to :gd: where you'll get all the information you  asked for and additional information you didn't know you needed to know!

:cheers:

There is so much truth in this statement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 1newbie said:

i'm all for driving rails, but you can buy a used xp900 for 10k and I guarantee it will be the most fun you've had for 10k. dunes, desert, mountains.  it does everything well. you will probably get facial cramps from smiling so much when you drive it...

Speaking of which, I will be posting pics of our loaded to the gills XP900 Shop RZR soon.. Just have not had time to give it a proper bath, and post pics of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never a stupid question here ..  So many options. Take your time and do your research . Side by sides offer a lot of alternative riding  opportunities . . They do very well in the dunes too .. they are a good all around off road vehicle. But sand rails take it to the next level for dunning that’s for sue . Good luck in your Search . 

3C3A13B3-3E82-425A-96F0-F6B81C4C8E8D.png

566727D1-63E5-4A80-96B8-5808279774ED.png

22D37CBA-CB52-4BA9-832F-1506B9FFF286.jpeg

BF689AA5-C9E7-45EC-AA5A-24E670FF1AE9.png

000ED1FA-4338-4DA5-AE61-1244B717252F.jpeg

BEABC51F-346E-4938-9433-A04E45EA712C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YouTube is a great tool for researching and even better when watching on a 135" home theater. I spent several hours yesterday watching reviews and general uploads on SXS's and have a whole new appreciation for the versatility of this machine. To be honest down here in the South everyone owns utility vehicles and quads so my thoughts on a SXS were a John Deere Gator on steroids.

The Cam AM X3 while spendy is a nice looking ride and seems to do very well in all types of riding terrain. Something to think about for sure and the two seat footprint is smaller in nature.

Is there an advantage to a 4 seat over 2 seat SXS other than the two extra seats?

 

Home Theater.JPG

Edited by Dennis58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

 

Is there an advantage to a 4 seat over 2 seat SXS other than the two extra seats?

 

 

Some people like the 4 seater for the wheel base. It'll handle the the whoops smoother due to that. However the can am four seater is HUGE. It's basically the length of a sandrail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Vinsanity said:

Some people like the 4 seater for the wheel base. It'll handle the the whoops smoother due to that. However the can am four seater is HUGE. It's basically the length of a sandrail.

Just looked up the specs on the Can AM X3

2-seats - 11' L X 5.3' W

4 Seats - 13.75' L X 6' W

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 9:23 AM, Vinsanity said:

Some people like the 4 seater for the wheel base. It'll handle the the whoops smoother due to that. ITS ALL ABOUT THE WHEEL BASE . MKAE RIDE WAY BETTER 

 

x%EY0alDQX6agm3CAUGJsQ.jpg

o9gOshh9SHObSiSaJc7TDA.jpg

GVNvnpFATI2Fbj%YGQJyow.jpg

BHdf3b9vSQ+OKffhc+S+tg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_507.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a lot of reading, research, YouTube, GD.com ETC. I have come to the decision that 1) I want a sand car and 2) my $20K budget is a little lean. Not looking to buy today or tomorrow BUT if the right killer deal was to fall in my lap than why not pull the trigger early. I still have a lot of research and learning to do but a stock LS1 car that is well sorted out and clean seems to be what fits me best I think.

On another note I see the term "Dual Sport" being thrown around in different for sale ads and general topic stuff. So what makes a sand rail Dual Sport or what does the term really mean?

Thanks

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude seriously I don’t think there’s a better deal than this.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

Dude seriously I don’t think there’s a better deal than this.  

 

This is one hell of a deal! 

To answer your question, a dual sport can be used for sand and dirt. Typically heavier with beefier suspension.

The car shown above is sand only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dual Sport is nothing more then a term used to make people thing your car is stronger then a typical sandrail. It's also used to make a heavy ass desert car sound lighter for duning. 

If your itch is a LS powered sandrail and you can afford to scratch it, do it. In 2-5 years you're very likely to sell it for what you paid, if you lose the itch. Nobody is building new Ls1/6 2D cars, so what is out there is it. They will hold thier value much better then other vehicles that come out with new exciting graphics and some gimmick every year.

The real problem is the itch just gets worse and more expensive. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...