Sign in to follow this  
Kat-A-Tonic

Sand car pre-purchase inspection.

So I found a sand car that I would possibly like to purchase.  I do not know much about actual sand cars, so I would like to have the car checked out by a competent person for mechanical and structural issues.  The car is in the greater Los Angeles area.  Any recommendations of a shop to take it to for a thorough pre-sale inspection.

LRS, send him a PM

6 minutes ago, Orange_R said:

LRS, send him a PM

X2.

In addition, I would suggest meeting the seller for a test ride. When I bought mine, I brought a welder with over 20 yrs experience to look at the chassis design and weld quality. We also rode around in it for a couple of hrs, watching it shift up/down through the gears, listening to the engine/drivetrain listening for any noises - clicks/clanks/rubbing/grinding and feeling how well the suspension worked. 

9 minutes ago, Orange_R said:

LRS, send him a PM

X2, Seems to be the name that shows up every time for things like this, plus I think he delivers them as well.

Cool, thanks for the replies.  

As if it has not been said enough... LRS is the man

Sent LRS a message...

Post some pictures of it . Manufacture and specs . I’m sure you will get input on it 

May be able to take it to Anaheim and John at out front will take a look at it? LRS would be my first choice, especially if you want some negotiation points

2 hours ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Sent LRS a message...

Replied. Thanks everyone for recommending me. I've done this exact service for several board members and clients over the years.

Don't be afraid to post a pic. Somebody on here might know the car, etc.  For better or worse, pretty honest group here at gd.

Smart move on the inspection. So many things to look at on a sand car.

couple of things I look for also

what Heads are on it

what is the block number,

transaxle if 2D what year so the serial number some 2D cases are bad, or might be a 4E, what CV's are on it, if the brakes are micros, then are they 33 spline or maybe 28 spline, what throttle body if a LS, if stock then it not a 200,000 HP motor like allot list there stock LS as,

if it has Gear One super stub VW type then it is going to need money right away

what size tire compared to spindles

what kind of shifter does it have ,  can get spendy to update

At the end what extra money you might have to put into the car to get it correct

100% go to John at OUTFRONT, honest guy that knows everything about sandcars. He’ll put it up on a lift and give you the complete 411. 

Drain the trans fluid and check for metal on the magnet, there will be some but you don’t want any large chunks. Best to send a picture of the magnet to a trans builder or someone that knows there stuff, mine had some worn parts when I bought it

2 hours ago, Getpitted453 said:

Drain the trans fluid and check for metal on the magnet, there will be some but you don’t want any large chunks. Best to send a picture of the magnet to a trans builder or someone that knows there stuff, mine had some worn parts when I bought it

On a pre purchase inspection your going to dump the tranny fluid in some guys garage? 

Thanks again for all the great advice.  There sure is a bunch of stuff to consider when buying a sand car, especially used.  Most cars I see for sale have almost always had the fluids changed.  Nice from a maintenance point, but pretty much means you cant get any info from drain magnets and such.

37 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

On a pre purchase inspection your going to dump the tranny fluid in some guys garage? 

I was considering having that done at whatever shop I end up using, but then I would need the sellers permission to have that done.  I guess they should not mind as they would be getting a free fluid change if I did not end up buying the car.

1 hour ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

I was considering having that done at whatever shop I end up using, but then I would need the sellers permission to have that done.  I guess they should not mind as they would be getting a free fluid change if I did not end up buying the car.

So you pay to have the trans fluid changed and the magnet is perfectly clean. How do you know it's because there's nothing wrong or the magnet was cleaned before you had it checked. All you really know is what it costs to have it changed.

How far do you go with it? Pull the CV's and axle? Have the engine oil changed and tested? 

I'd list my car just to have the CV's serviced. :lol:

I am beginning to see why so many guys stick with the SxS's.  That said, I have this itch and a buggy is what is going to scratch it.

48 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

I am beginning to see why so many guys stick with the SxS's.  That said, I have this itch and a buggy is what is going to scratch it.

Drive a nice buggy and you will no miss the SxS  

and LRS is the ticket

1 hour ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

With a SxS you know going in you're getting screwed. :lol:

Look for cracks, pull on arms, axles, tie rods, pull on the tires. If it's in a garage ask him to jack it up to spin the rear tires and make sure the bearings are tight. If things are worn thing that shouldn't move will. 

If I remember right your in AZ, having LRS check it over before coming all the way here would be money very well spent. 

2 hours ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

I scratched that itch...glad I did.

An X3 is an amazing machine though.  Best SXS out there in my opinion.  

Still, I found my home in a buggy.  I don't think I could ever go back now.  I think a mid-engine car has ruined me too for anything else.  It's a pure duner for sure.

3 hours ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

If I was selling my car I would not grant permission to a potential buyer to have a shop change fluid or any other type of inspection that would require removal and re-installation of a  part unless the potential buyer has already given me a deposit with all or part of that deposit not refundable.  Just too many things can go wrong.

I would never let a potential buyer take my car to a shop without me transporting it there and me being there to constantly look over the mechanic's shoulder.  Again, just too many things can go wrong.

For example, you take the car to a shop and the buyer bails part way through the check list.  You're stuck with the shop bill, not to mention your time and money to transport the car there. The list goes on.  

Buyers can inspect my car in my garage as much as I feel is necessary.  If a buyer wants to go beyond that, I'll decide the terms.

33 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

If I was selling my car I would not grant permission to a potential buyer to have a shop change fluid or any other type of inspection that would require removal and re-installation of a  part unless the potential buyer has already given me a deposit with all or part of that deposit not refundable.  Just too many things can go wrong.

I would never let a potential buyer take my car to a shop without me transporting it there and me being there to constantly look over the mechanic's shoulder.  Again, just too many things can go wrong.

For example, you take the car to a shop and the buyer bails part way through the check list.  You're stuck with the shop bill, not to mention your time and money to transport the car there. The list goes on.  

Buyers can inspect my car in my garage as much as I feel is necessary.  If a buyer wants to go beyond that, I'll decide the terms.

maybe at a fly by night shop.  We do these all the time too, pulling a drain plug and sticking your thumb in the hole while you snap a picture and putting it back in is easy and no fluid change and good intel.  anyone that is having an inspection at my shop must pay the $100

before

I do any work.  I don't know of a shop that lets the customer stand over their shoulder, but there free to watch from 30 feet away.  pulling the tires off to inspect brakes is a simple task.