desertanddune

just got a car... help

Just got a car, been in dunes on quad  now  this is going to be first adventure  in  a car...

Previous owner only owned it a year,  he had very little info on it. I   need  little  help finding info so i can  tune and set up!

info that i have,  its a scorpion frame with an olds aurora v6, mendola MD4S, king shocks, oneal adjustable peddles,

it had a turbo on it  but it burned up so it was taken off,  not sure what  computer is on it, what fuel pump, what injectors,

starts and idles well drives ok has an off idle stumble,  the rack and pinion  has  heavy surface rust on ends

it looks  like  powder coat  is cracking at suspension hook up points  might need to remove  and repair.

does anyone have and  suggestions  thanks in advance.

This group likes pictures...

Need pics

where to start.  I would be looking at the powdercoating where it is cracking.  look for cracks in the frame or tubes.  grind, weld, and gusset.  Clean up the rust and smooth out the rack.  If some one would just pull off a whole turbo system because they couldn't afford a new turbo or rebuild I would be going over the whole car and check the whole frame and check every weld.  jack off the ground and check all suspension for loose bolts or hiems.  Check rear carrier bearings.  check pressure in shocks, change all the fluids, check brake and clutch fluids.   I would also pull the CV boots down and get some grease in there.   once you do all this stuff you will find out how well the car was maintained and treated.  Make it safe and solid and then you can tune engine and suspension. 

only pics i have right now ... i get more next week

FB_IMG_1548215541931.jpg

FB_IMG_1548215499186.jpg

36 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

where to start.  I would be looking at the powdercoating where it is cracking.  look for cracks in the frame or tubes.  grind, weld, and gusset.  Clean up the rust and smooth out the rack.  If some one would just pull off a whole turbo system because they couldn't afford a new turbo or rebuild I would be going over the whole car and check the whole frame and check every weld.  jack off the ground and check all suspension for loose bolts or hiems.  Check rear carrier bearings.  check pressure in shocks, change all the fluids, check brake and clutch fluids.   I would also pull the CV boots down and get some grease in there.   once you do all this stuff you will find out how well the car was maintained and treated.  Make it safe and solid and then you can tune engine and suspension. 

went over whole car when i got it home..  checked trans,  checked and change engine oil, checked and cleaned air filter, checked  clutch, master cylinder and  slave  cylinder all looked good  and worked didn't need fluid ...  the trans ( CV cleaned and serviced with  grease)  and shocks  were rebuilt at  start of 2018  and have  3 rides on them  i checked the  whole frame  and only spots i found  is on front.

checked all fasteners  everything was tight  with the exception of computer bolts  were all loose  i snugged those  up  and all seems good 

8 hours ago, desertanddune said:

went over whole car when i got it home..  checked trans,  checked and change engine oil, checked and cleaned air filter, checked  clutch, master cylinder and  slave  cylinder all looked good  and worked didn't need fluid ...  the trans ( CV cleaned and serviced with  grease)  and shocks  were rebuilt at  start of 2018  and have  3 rides on them  i checked the  whole frame  and only spots i found  is on front.

checked all fasteners  everything was tight  with the exception of computer bolts  were all loose  i snugged those  up  and all seems good 

Congrats, you're going to have a lot of fun with that car.  It looks like you checked most everything reasonable.  I would say just take it out and be a little reserved and pay attention to the car the first coulple of rides and go from there, do your regular maintenance/ inspections between trips and rides and you should be good.  No need to tear way into it unless something is actual broke.

Without seeing pictures, that motor is what is commonly referred to as a shortstar. It’s a good motor but can be prone to blowing head gaskets, and it’s typically cheaper to just do another junkyard motor to replace it than repair. They were becoming scarce the last time I looked for one though. 

There were turbo kits. I would be Leary if it if it had one that was removed. Although even so if you can still find a replacement it shouldn’t be that much. Maybe they already replaced the engine because they blew the old one with the turbo. 

Hey congrats man, sweet car. You’re going to have a lot of fun. My new car is about that size and it’s a blast to drive. 

thanks  i sure am looking forward to some runs with it ,  next time out  ill get some more pictures!

looking for  intercom radios  now too  is there a less expensive way  $1800 is out of my  budget

Scorpion in SANTEE, Paul was his first name, don’t know if he’s still in biseness butt built a lot of cars back in the day

I apologize for my rudeness in not congratulating you first on a cool new ride. I’d love  to see more pictures 

might be worth checking compression to see if the motor was built with low compression pistons for the boost.

it would also tell you if the cylinders are all holding equal PSI.

If the tune is for a turbo set up it might not run very good, if i recall correctly timing and the fuel being delivered are two of the major things.

if they just swapped motor and  put a the computer for for it in it could be ok...

just a couple thoughts. 

watch temp and oil pressure

i will check compression,  but motor  runs well  just has a stumble off idle  , i think it has  a turbo tune up on computer  but not sure .

it has water oil and volts gauges so i will be able to keep an eye on it thanks 

just have to do a little more clean up and then take it on a short outing or 2 and see  how she runs .

by the way congrats on the buggy!

11 hours ago, sandroosten said:

by the way congrats on the buggy!

thank you

found a few cracks, i believe ,gonna get those repaired ...

also added a few more pics!

20190129_161922.jpg

20190129_162040.jpg

20190129_163122.jpg

20190129_163111.jpg

20190129_163059.jpg

20190129_162023.jpg

20190129_163156.jpg

Put some good padding on those bars near the rear seat head areas. Kids will hit their heads on them and it will stop being fun really quick. Also helmets will help even if they are bicycle helmets but padding is a must. Get those cracks repaired ASAP. Never fun to have your weekend cut short with a frame failure and it can ruin more then your weekend.  

Here's a website for the v6 Arora motor, you might give them a call about your comp. and tune. 

http://www.northstarperformance.com/LX5studs.php

That home made exhaust system from what I can see at the collector isn't helping either, you might want to search for a set of headers or rework what you have.

Use the correct length bolts on the battery terminals  and cover them. That is an electrical fire waiting to happen!

Looking at those cracks I would almost guarantee those pivot bolt holes are wallowed out . While repairing , add weld washers and new bolts .

Congrats! 

Congrats on the new car!  Welcome to the addiction!  Those a-arm tabs are on the verge of failure.  I wouldn't drive it like that.  I would completely cut those tabs off and put new thicker ones one with weld washer.  Not a big deal though.  Look around at where the rear arms connect to the chassis at the pivots for cracks.  I've found a lot there.  

~jw

the car is out  getting  the cracks fixed, exhaust redone and  bars added...  when its back ill add more pictures  of the repairs .

looking to upgrade  front spnidles and adding brakes  also, any suggestions? 

I've had realy good luck with CNC.  They are available everywhere if you need a part and not too expensive.  Their customer service is great too.  I usualy buy them at Kartek.  Jamar and ProAm are good too...

~jw