Need a carfax report on a car

Can someone run one for me?  

Thanks,

George

Yep. PM vin and email. 

Don't bank your money on Carfax. There are plenty of loopholes that won't come up and if bogus info was turned into Carfax they don't look into it. They just submit it and blam, it's now on the report. I've had better luck with Auto Check.

1 hour ago, big_daddy_jp said:

Don't bank your money on Carfax. There are plenty of loopholes that won't come up and if bogus info was turned into Carfax they don't look into it. They just submit it and blam, it's now on the report. I've had better luck with Auto Check.

Dealers pay thousands for Carfax per month, for AutoCheck not so much. It's the most thorough report. They secured information from every repair program like Mitchell and AllData and now reporting minor damage as well from insurances and body shop programs. Like anything, they have their bugs but I've got them to correct a few reports like mileage inconsistencies on clerical errors. I won't even look at a car before I see the Carfax and yet still have to look over the car for myself. Not 100% reliable but pretty damn close. Auto Check won't tell you if the engine was overhauled but it will tell you if it has had frame or salvage. Good, just not good enough. 

9 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

Dealers pay thousands for Carfax per month, for AutoCheck not so much. It's the most thorough report. They secured information from every repair program like Mitchell and AllData and now reporting minor damage as well from insurances and body shop programs. Like anything, they have their bugs but I've got them to correct a few reports like mileage inconsistencies on clerical errors. I won't even look at a car before I see the Carfax and yet still have to look over the car for myself. Not 100% reliable but pretty damn close. Auto Check won't tell you if the engine was overhauled but it will tell you if it has had frame or salvage. Good, just not good enough. 

Carfax doesn't have up to date info if the car was purchased by a car dealer.

So, if a car was "Salvaged" by the insurance, and the dealer bought the car at auction,

the dealer does not register the car, it sits an a "Pending Sale" bucket until the dealer sells it.

DMV will/may not have that info, therefore, Carfax may not have it.

That seems to be a "Loophole" .

If you have a AAA premier you get one car fax per year 

1 hour ago, JDMeister said:

Carfax doesn't have up to date info if the car was purchased by a car dealer.

So, if a car was "Salvaged" by the insurance, and the dealer bought the car at auction,

the dealer does not register the car, it sits an a "Pending Sale" bucket until the dealer sells it.

DMV will/may not have that info, therefore, Carfax may not have it.

That seems to be a "Loophole" .

I've seen some fall through the cracks but very rarely. Insurance companies have an obligation to report the total loss. Don't go thinking there's a lot full of wrecked cars with clean titles. That would be nothing short of Fraud. I guess that's why we don't rely on it 100% but a good once over if you know how to look, you'll see major repair. Bumper or fender repainted I can live with, half a car? Nah. 

I've seen some fall through the cracks but very rarely. Insurance companies have an obligation to report the total loss. Don't go thinking there's a lot full of wrecked cars with clean titles. That would be nothing short of Fraud. I guess that's why we don't rely on it 100% but a good once over if you know how to look, you'll see major repair. Bumper or fender repainted I can live with, half a car? Nah. 

My buddy Gil is a dealer, and only buys salvage cars.

He refused to sign up for carfax due to the loophole I referenced above.

And yes, I've seen customers return with a WTF when the new pink slip from DMV said salvage.

10 minutes ago, JDMeister said:

My buddy Gil is a dealer, and only buys salvage cars.

He refused to sign up for carfax due to the loophole I referenced above.

And yes, I've seen customers return with a WTF when the new pink slip from DMV said salvage.

Quite the buddy you got. Fraud. End of story. Those customers have a right to recover 100% of their money back. Unless he hides behind a signed history disclosure. Either way, lucrative snob. So refuses to sign up for Carfax yet you called it a loophole. 

4 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

Quite the buddy you got. Fraud. End of story. Those customers have a right to recover 100% of their money back. Unless he hides behind a signed history disclosure. Either way, lucrative snob. So refuses to sign up for Carfax yet you called it a loophole. 

If the loophole was used, it was not Gil..

Some old fart that sold batteries and cars for Gil, didn't disclose the salvage thing when he sold a car..

Yes, Gil made it good.

But, that loophole seems to exist for all..

And that's why used car salesmen have such a great reputation I guess?

32 minutes ago, JDMeister said:

If the loophole was used, it was not Gil..

Some old fart that sold batteries and cars for Gil, didn't disclose the salvage thing when he sold a car..

Yes, Gil made it good.

But, that loophole seems to exist for all..

And that's why used car salesmen have such a great reputation I guess?

So the old fart sold for "Gil" "Gil" made it "good", and he was unaware? Ok. Did he have to buy those cars back? Anywho, this isn't about Gil or the reputation of used car salesman or what people seem to label them as, it's about doing your due diligence when buying. People get burned and a simple Carfax check these days can save you a lot of grief. 

Brings me to another story. Yes, I'm in the business and we recently sold a car to someone who I had a bad gut feeling about. While they took the car under a financed contract, we discovered fabricated everything including driver's license, paystubs, etc. etc. She then fabricated a free and clear title in her name and attempted a title loan through a separate company. That loan company contacted us and suspected something wrong. This is when we looked at the file a little closer. We asked if they can email us a scan of the title provided. Wholy molly! It was beautiful, perfect with watermarks the whole jazz. But impossible as we had the real title. This all within 2-3 days over a weekend. Tried to contact her, email her that we were onto her and all we wanted was the car back. Called the cops, they said tuff luck, sounds like a civil matter blah blah... she then posted this think on Offer Up and Craigslist at a fraction of the car's true value. I'm not sure how many people they must've robbed but the car was back a week later. Dropped off by some tatted up east county tweeker. Point I'm trying to make is, Carfax even shows the latest title issued by date exactly the date the title is printed in Sacramento. Crazy Crazy! 

As I stated, there are loopholes and mistakes made. So to tell people to use Carfax and not warn them about the possible inconsistencies is a bad deal in itself. I bought a truck a little over 5 years ago. My wife works for a dealership so she ran a Carfax report. The report was clean when we bought the truck. Then sometime during those 5 years Carfax updated the report. Much to my surprise, when I went to buy my new truck last month, the dealership that wanted my truck on trade in ran the report and told me the deal was off due to mileage tampering on the truck. At least that's what the Carfax report said. The only saving grace I had was the folder full of receipts from the previous owners that had vin number and mileage documented. So it turns out that a shop had input the wrong vin number of a vehicle they were working on, which obviously was my trucks vin number, and it populated on Crafax. Not to mention, the same shop worked on this car multiple times over a 2 year period and it populated to Carfax every time. Instead of Carfax doing a service and looking into it, they just said possible mileage tampering on the report. Now my truck was branded and nobody would buy it. I had to submit my receipts to Carfax to prove the claim false and to have my report fixed so I could sell it. According to my wife and other family members that work for dealerships, this happens often. What about people that buy used vehicles and don't get the documentation? They would be screwed and stuck with the vehicle. That my friend is fraud.

10 minutes ago, big_daddy_jp said:

As I stated, there are loopholes and mistakes made. So to tell people to use Carfax and not warn them about the possible inconsistencies is a bad deal in itself. I bought a truck a little over 5 years ago. My wife works for a dealership so she ran a Carfax report. The report was clean when we bought the truck. Then sometime during those 5 years Carfax updated the report. Much to my surprise, when I went to buy my new truck last month, the dealership that wanted my truck on trade in ran the report and told me the deal was off due to mileage tampering on the truck. At least that's what the Carfax report said. The only saving grace I had was the folder full of receipts from the previous owners that had vin number and mileage documented. So it turns out that a shop had input the wrong vin number of a vehicle they were working on, which obviously was my trucks vin number, and it populated on Crafax. Not to mention, the same shop worked on this car multiple times over a 2 year period and it populated to Carfax every time. Instead of Carfax doing a service and looking into it, they just said possible mileage tampering on the report. Now my truck was branded and nobody would buy it. I had to submit my receipts to Carfax to prove the claim false and to have my report fixed so I could sell it. According to my wife and other family members that work for dealerships, this happens often. What about people that buy used vehicles and don't get the documentation? They would be screwed and stuck with the vehicle. That my friend is fraud.

You suffered a "clerical error" and you were able to fix it, like I said is possible but saying it happens often is not really the case. Fat fingering the right mileage by a digit or so, sure. But the entire VIN number to someone else's car, reporting for 2 years straight nah. Not really. Your last assumption of fraud is correct and is exactly why this whole thread started. Kudos to you. This is why I post on it, to make clear that it can truly save you grief, but let's just keep it civil by saying "most of the time". (Like 99.9%) lol

I fell victim to this. Years ago I bought a used truck from a dealer.  Ran the car fax and it came up clean. When I went to sell it years later it showed an accident that happened prior to my purchase. I lost value because of it. 

19 minutes ago, Nic said:

I fell victim to this. Years ago I bought a used truck from a dealer.  Ran the car fax and it came up clean. When I went to sell it years later it showed an accident that happened prior to my purchase. I lost value because of it. 

I've seen that happen once before too. That one can suck. Either DMV wasn't notified on time and later discovered it, or insurance company released the information to Carfax later either a new sign up type of thing or system update with a program that now reports to Carfax and even reported back log. Sucks. 

Fat fingering is exactly what I think happened. You do know that you only have to be off by one digit to pull up the wrong vehicle right? So my assumption is, that like every auto repair shop I've been to, when you bring your car in they input your vin number and mileage and start a file for your vehicle. This way everytime you come back they only have to input your mileage but all vehicle info stays the same. So if they typed in the wrong vin number originally, than every job they did on that car would fall under that same original vin number. This is how it lasted for two years. I'm not saying that Carfax is horrible, I'm just saying people should be informed that it's not the Holy grail of cars that most people seem to think it is.