Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dennis58

Pay to Play

So building on my two year plan to get back to Glamis I have decided on what sandrail I want and now find myself looking at something to haul it in. Knowing that I have to up my game (budget) on the sandrail it would appear that a Truck camper / Trailer combo or Toy Hauler are my options. I also find myself going yep need to up my game here too so I guess it's all about Pay to Play.

My trips out west will be solo so I don't need a whole lot of room, forward bed would be nice, basic kitchen to make a Spam sandwich (all I can afford, haha), somewhere to shower and dump. Guessing my garage area need to be at least 8 ft. wide X 16 ft. deep to give myself options on what sandrail I buy.

When it come to this part of the puzzle I don't think more is better as I would like to keep my footprint down and not be dragging 30 plus ft. of stuff behind me. Ideal would be a 28 ft. gooseneck with forward bedroom, bath, kitchen combo that has 17 ft. of garage and 11 ft. living (truck camper size area). Have not seen anything like that in my internet travels but do know I can special order ($$$$$). I would prefer not to do that.

What are you guys and gals using or doing for your 3-5 day stay at Glamis?

Thanks

Dennis

Older toyhaulers are in the 10-15K range with lots of room.   Or google search hillbilly, crawler hauler

I have 24ft Carson Fun Runner and squeeze my full size 4 seat car in it. It’s a TIGHT fit. I only have 1/4” of room and it’s done a bit of damage shifting around but it’s the game I play being that my parking spot for the trailer is 27ft. You can get a full size buggy in the larger versions of the fun runner as well obviously but with a front sleeper you’re going to definitely hinder your cargo space. 

A50E7C89-2569-44E0-8123-78A53E29C654.thumb.jpeg.65dca11c67c77ef94b5991656db73f7e.jpeg

1 hour ago, megadesertdiesel said:

Older toyhaulers are in the 10-15K range with lots of room.   Or google search hillbilly, crawler hauler

Funny you should say that, I already did a Photoshop based on a 24' gooseneck and my truck. Trailer would have to be 28 ft.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 10.25.29 PM.png

Ace, I ran across a few Fun Runners bumper pulls and a couple 5'er's but thought they looked a little skinny in the back end. Seems like the older early 2000's stuff was more narrow than todays stuff out there. Guess the Toys are growing and the need for wider trailers.

Get a Lance camper and nice enclosed trailer for your buggy.  The newer cab over campers have slides, nice features, hold a decent amount of water and a good amount or room.  Especially if your trips are solo.  

If I was in your shoes, I would get an enclosed that has some living space in it.  Probably need a 24' trailer.  Bathroom and small kitchen upfront.  Build some fold down beds/couch's and be good to go.  If you search, probably can find one under 12k, easily towed with a 3/4 ton truck.

As for older Toy Haulers, look for a Weekend Warrior FB26, would fit your needs well, I think 2004 and newer have the wider rear doors.  You should be able to pick them up for as little as 10k (might need some work)

11 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Get a Lance camper and nice enclosed trailer for your buggy.  The newer cab over campers have slides, nice features, hold a decent amount of water and a good amount or room.  Especially if your trips are solo.  

22ft with a Funco

22 ft with Funco.jpg

Step 1: Get car

Step 2: Get trailer that fits car and stay's on budget

Step 3: Get truck that can tow trailer that holds car and stays on whatever you have left of the budget

If you switch it up at all you will replace at least one of the three if not all three.

For a long 3 day plus drive out this way I would be wanting toys inside of something to keep from getting unwanted attention, extreme comfort while I spent hours upon hours with that steering wheel in your hands, something that didn't require any set up or re-arranging to sleep, cook or shower on the road.  To me that sounds like a Motorhome and enclosed trailer. 

Due to geography you would be best to search in your area for a late model or wing sprint car race hauler no matter what kind of set up you end up with. 

A 2018 ATC 28 ft. bedroom model is about $41K

A used Lance 992 (2 slides) is about $20K

A new ATC 8.5 X 22 enclosed trailer is $14K

A used 10 year old Toy Hauler is about $14K or so.

Here is my take so far assuming a budget which I do have with some wiggle room;

1) Less sandrail = more trailer

2) Less trailer = more sandrail

Funny how that works. :)

10 minutes ago, MWB said:

Step 1: Get car

Step 2: Get trailer that fits car and stay's on budget

Step 3: Get truck that can tow trailer that holds car and stays on whatever you have left of the budget

If you switch it up at all you will replace at least one of the three if not all three.

For a long 3 day plus drive out this way I would be wanting toys inside of something to keep from getting unwanted attention, extreme comfort while I spent hours upon hours with that steering wheel in your hands, something that didn't require any set up or re-arranging to sleep, cook or shower on the road.  To me that sounds like a Motorhome and enclosed trailer. 

Due to geography you would be best to search in your area for a late model or wing sprint car race hauler no matter what kind of set up you end up with. 

MWB I agree 100% on the "buy car first" and have already decided that is what I will do before I buy a trailer anything. As for a Class A, no been there done that a few times over the years.

Already have the truck, a 2019 Silverado 3500HD Duramax Dully (see above picture).

I would not go for the camper.  Those things are expensive for what you get.  Way better off IMO with a 32-34 foot bumper pull toy hauler.  Trust me, more room is always better.  You then still have the bed of your truck for fuel/firewood, etc.  I had a 32 ft. weekend warrior and now use a DP with a stacker.  Wife likes the DP; I miss the WW.....

You have a perfect truck to haul a cabover and a class V hitch. Dont go too crazy on a lance and you can safely haul an enclosed anywhere you want.  Thats how I used to do it.

IMAG1159.jpg

Id like to go back to a aluminum sided fb3000. Lots of space and relatively light. :thumbup:

I go alone. Works perfect. Dry bath, plenty of holding tanks. My wife and I have made it dry camping with care 6 days. I will add, yes they are expensive but there are many upsides over other types of units. .

DSCN0044.JPG

24 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

MWB I agree 100% on the "buy car first" and have already decided that is what I will do before I buy a trailer anything. As for a Class A, no been there done that a few times over the years.

Already have the truck, a 2019 Silverado 3500HD Duramax Dully (see above picture).

Get a 5th wheel then.  Gives you the best option for the no moving re-arranging thing in order to get some sleep cook a meal and get some sleep in some Wal-Mart parking lot in fly over country. It will also tow the best for the length you are going to need. 

Before you look specifically at Toy Haulers ( manufactured RV's with a big door on the back to get toys in and out of)  look towards what local dirt track guys are moving there race cars around in.  You are going to have a better chance of finding something that will work and not break the bank close to you.  Plus when you go and sell it the same group of people will buy it from you.   You just have to look around but you will find ones that drivers/ teams have built to do what your doing ( drive for several days , staying in Wal-Mart parking lots for a few hours across several states) 

buy a 24 - 28 foot toy hauler look for front BATH room, sleep in the back bed if it just you, way more room and easy to haul.

If I did not have to pamper the wifey this is what I would do

28 minutes ago, Richard H said:

I go alone. Works perfect. Dry bath, plenty of holding tanks. My wife and I have made it dry camping with care 6 days.

DSCN0044.JPG

Richard, with a truck camper of that size, is it recommended to have a 2500 or 3500 truck?  I have a Dodge Ram 1500.  Also, how quickly and easily can someone attach and detach that camper if they want to store it in a lot?

4 minutes ago, 2011BFD said:

buy a 24 - 28 foot toy hauler look for front BATH room, sleep in the back bed if it just you, way more room and easy to haul.

If I did not have to pamper the wifey this is what I would do

I don't think he wants to unload the car at night to sleep.  😎

4 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

I don't think he wants to unload the car at night to sleep.  😎

throw a cot in front of the car should be room, not sure he can get all he is looking for

45 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Richard, with a truck camper of that size, is it recommended to have a 2500 or 3500 truck?  I have a Dodge Ram 1500.  Also, how quickly and easily can someone attach and detach that camper if they want to store it in a lot?

Yes at a minimum. They claimed in Lances info that it could be srw, and it can if it is just a camper on the truck. Add the hitch extension and a trailer and it is not fun to drive as a srw. This truck was a srw when I bought it so I know. I did the conversion and would never go back unless I was never to tow again. Drw cost 1mpg, again I know this for fact. I had added air bags but in reality they are not great. I changed the rear leaf springs about 2 years ago and that made a huge improvement, except when empty but my truck only get about 300 to 400 miles a year empty.

With remote control jacks it takes me 10min to unload and about 15 to load. It comes off the truck the day after I return from any trip. In summer if we go somewhere for more then 2 or 3 days I also remove so we and drive just the truck around.

Edit to add this is a 1055 model 10',11" and weighs just shy of 4000lbs as equiped, no slides.

I would agree with MWB.

Enclosed box trailer or toy hauler to keep the car outta the weather and prying eyes.  Better to have them guess what's in it then see what they want to take. It's nice to walk out of sight and know it's not on display. Also nice to hit rain and know your car is nice and dry.

Also going cross country (can't see where you're from on my phone) you want something you can use with the car loaded, sleep, shower the other S thing, etc. 

A camper and box trailer would keep you the shortest on length but they have small tanks. The box trailer once there can add some open living hangout space. I love campers but they are not guys my size friendly. :lol:

A 5th wheel that will hold a full size sandrail is going to be at least 35' plus.

8 minutes ago, Richard H said:

Yes at a minimum. They claimed in Lances info that it could be srw, and it can if it is just a camper on the truck. Add the hitch extension and a trailer and it is not fun to drive as a srw. This truck was a srw when I bought it so I know. I did the conversion and would never go back unless I was never to tow again. Drw cost 1mpg, again I know this for fact. I had added air bags but in reality they are not great. I changed the rear leaf springs about 2 years ago and that made a huge improvement, except when empty but my truck only get about 300 to 400 miles a year empty.

With remote control jacks it takes me 10min to unload and about 15 to load. It comes off the truck the day after I return from any trip. In summer if we go somewhere for more then 2 or 3 days I also remove so we and drive just the truck around.

Edit to add this is a 1055 model 10',11" and weighs just shy of 4000lbs as equiped, no slides.

Thanks for the info.  I like the remote control jacks.  I really like your whole setup as opposed to storing a sand vehicle in the same trailer that you sleep in.  I will be looking to get into this kind of setup in the future.

10 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Thanks for the info.  I like the remote control jacks.  I really like your whole setup as opposed to storing a sand vehicle in the same trailer that you sleep in.  I will be looking to get into this kind of setup in the future.

I've been told I have lost my man card, my car is in the trailer every night and any time not using and wind is really bad. One reason I could never do the toy hauler type. Just my preference.

I agree that anything 5th wheel is going to be 32' plus, they just don't make anything smaller that I have seen. The only enclosed trailer option that works well is the ATC 28' with Bath option. 

While I'm not opposed to the truck camper and 22' enclosed trailer is 6' additional ft on the trailer really that big of a deal from a towing standpoint? The truck camper option does give me flexibility to use that during the summer months for different destinations.

The cats azz would be an ATC 28' Gooseneck with forward bath/bed option but that would be pretty spendy. I'm looking all over the internet for used gooseneck stuff but come up short on anything with living space. Have come across a few horse trailer rigs but those seen to be narrow in the garage area.

The hunt is half the fun at this point.

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.