Been out searching Toy Hauler and Gooseneck trailer sizes.

2019 Sundowner 2286 GM Toy Hauler 40'

Floor Dimensions: 32' L x 8' W x 7'6'' T

Features:
18' Garage 
14' Living Quarter + 8' Nose (22' Total)

A Lance 825 truck camper is 16' total end to end and 7' wide

Assuming a 18' garage + 16' living space = 34' Gooseneck.

Yea, I don't think 28' anything is going to work assuming a 16-18 ft garage. I did run across some 28' stuff but they all had a 10' garage. The more I look at the ATC 28' Toy Hauler with bath I don't think a sand car will fit in that trailer. 

The lance campers are nice but if you have to drive thru the flat lands of Texas with any kind of head or cross wind  you are going to hate it. Even with the dual rear wheels it's going to get spooky with that enclosed trailer behind you and unlike most of the people on this board you are not just going to have to do it for 3-4 hours you will be doing it for 2-3 days..... each way.

Goose-neck and 5th wheels are going to be the best to tow with period, that's why semi trucks don't have tag trailers behind them.  also remember a 28' box trailer will have a 3-4 foot tongue making them hang off the back of your truck 31-32' but a 35' 5th wheel trailer will be 35' from the front of the trailer which is about 2 feet back from the back of your cab  and that would be what 30 feet from the back of your truck ? 

MWB you are correct, it's going to be 30' at least no mater what direction I head in. To get what really works the best is to have ATC (or similar) build a custom Toy Hauler that fits my needs.

Pay to Play.

5 hours ago, Dennis58 said:

I agree that anything 5th wheel is going to be 32' plus, they just don't make anything smaller that I have seen. The only enclosed trailer option that works well is the ATC 28' with Bath option. 

While I'm not opposed to the truck camper and 22' enclosed trailer is 6' additional ft on the trailer really that big of a deal from a towing standpoint? The truck camper option does give me flexibility to use that during the summer months for different destinations.

The cats azz would be an ATC 28' Gooseneck with forward bath/bed option but that would be pretty spendy. I'm looking all over the internet for used gooseneck stuff but come up short on anything with living space. Have come across a few horse trailer rigs but those seen to be narrow in the garage area.

The hunt is half the fun at this point.

Look on racejunk.com.   You might find the trailer you are looking for on there.  

21 minutes ago, Cookie said:

That is what I was thinking, easy and small

That would be a great trailer if he lived closer but he  lives 2000 miles away and will probably spend 30 hours plus with the steering wheel in his hand to get there.  So unless he wants to sleep in the back seat of his truck in the Wal Mart parking lots he needs to be able to get to is bed with out unloading the car or moving stuff around.

31 minutes ago, MWB said:

That would be a great trailer if he lived closer but he  lives 2000 miles away and will probably spend 30 hours plus with the steering wheel in his hand to get there.  So unless he wants to sleep in the back seat of his truck in the Wal Mart parking lots he needs to be able to get to is bed with out unloading the car or moving stuff around.

My buddy had a similar set up when he was single, he had enough room for a cot upfront.  His trailer was a 24' Sport trailer with bathroom, counter with sink ,and a small refrigerator.............. and he had a Double Throwdown inside.  I am just thinking small and easy.

FYI, not all Wal-marts allow to sleep anymore in their parking lot.  Sucks to get woken up at 3am to be told to move.

3 hours ago, Cookie said:

FYI, not all Wal-marts allow to sleep anymore in their parking lot.  Sucks to get woken up at 3am to be told to move.

Yes Wal-Marts are hit and miss these days due to local ordnances, seems the locals were abusing the kind offer and killed it for those traveling through.  Mostly isolated to larger cities.  

dude ill tell you first hand your not gonna do that trip alot befoure it gets old real fast.i tryed it for 2 years.i live in new jersey and i only did it the first year 2 times and it sucked.next year i only did it once and it sucked cuz i wanted to go more.and the little trailer that i had and thought was fine for me was not so fine and wanted bigger.then kept my toys at my dads house in vegas and rented a truck and that was good for about 4 years.then my company grew bigger and pulled it all from vegas and now have a 42' toyhauler and a 38' enclosed trailer in glamis storage.and bought a f450 that i keep in storage in chandler AZ.now im in glamis 4 to 5 times a yeat anywear from a quick trip of 4 days to sometimes 2 weeks.i fly newark to phonix uber to chandler and drive to yuma fule up the truck,i have a 80 gal transfer tank i fill with gas.then i hit wallmart in yuma do my shopping and straight to the dunes.grab my  trailers in storage and straight into the washes.sounds crazy but realy so easy i have more time then ever in the dune now.trust me that drive sucks and gets old fast.im new to the fourm and dont know how to load pictures or i whould show you my camp set up.and for the camper.... i say go a decent size or big cuz i find the camper is never big enough.

Edited by BigMac

1 hour ago, BigMac said:

dude ill tell you first hand your not gonna do that trip alot befoure it gets old real fast.i tryed it for 2 years.i live in new jersey and i only did it the first year 2 times and it sucked.next year i only did it once and it sucked cuz i wanted to go more.and the little trailer that i had and thought was fine for me was not so fine and wanted bigger.then kept my toys at my dads house in vegas and rented a truck and that was good for about 4 years.then my company grew bigger and pulled it all from vegas and now have a 42' toyhauler and a 38' enclosed trailer in glamis storage.and bought a f450 that i keep in storage in chandler AZ.now im in glamis 4 to 5 times a yeat anywear from a quick trip of 4 days to sometimes 2 weeks.i fly newark to phonix uber to chandler and drive to yuma fule up the truck,i have a 80 gal transfer tank i fill with gas.then i hit wallmart in yuma do my shopping and straight to the dunes.grab my  trailers in storage and straight into the washes.sounds crazy but realy so easy i have more time then ever in the dune now.trust me that drive sucks and gets old fast.im new to the fourm and dont know how to load pictures or i whould show you my camp set up.and for the camper.... i say go a decent size or big cuz i find the camper is never big enough.

That is dedication to get out there!

19 hours ago, BigMac said:

And I thought my 3 day trip out, couple weeks camping and 3 days back was no big deal. That is a lot of logistics you have going on.

I agree the storage at Glamis is a bonus to prevent pulling rigs back and forth and I will be retired so time coming and going is not that big of a deal but agree driving sometimes sucks.

31 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

And I thought my 3 day trip out, couple weeks camping and 3 days back was no big deal. That is a lot of logistics you have going on.

I agree the storage at Glamis is a bonus to prevent pulling rigs back and forth and I will be retired so time coming and going is not that big of a deal but agree driving sometimes sucks.

Slow down and enjoy the drive. It is about the journey as much as the destination.

12 minutes ago, Richard H said:

Slow down and enjoy the drive. It is about the journey as much as the destination.

That's right what he said 

1 hour ago, Richard H said:

Lot of truth there and a lot of this country I have not seen.

50 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

Lot of truth there and a lot of this country I have not seen.

Every time we hit the road the most important thing we strive to do, stay off interstates. You will not see much of America or life from them. Now if just hot laps to dunes then yea go for it.

The more I look at Toy Haulers regardless of BP or GN/5'er the common theme seems to be a 13' or less garage in anything less than 36' in length. Assuming a 2-seater sand car the length seems to be at least 15' and 88" tp 93" (can be reduced with roller tires) at the rear so any Toy Hauler would need to have a 16' garage.

Finding a used Toy Hauler in the less than $20K range with a 16' garage and wider back end is no easy task. Lot of stuff out there but it all seems to be more suited towards the SXS and Quad market. For a sand car it's more like needing a "car" hauler vice "toy" hauler. 

8 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

The more I look at Toy Haulers regardless of BP or GN/5'er the common theme seems to be a 13' or less garage in anything less than 36' in length. Assuming a 2-seater sand car the length seems to be at least 15' and 88" tp 93" (can be reduced with roller tires) at the rear so any Toy Hauler would need to have a 16' garage.

Finding a used Toy Hauler in the less than $20K range with a 16' garage and wider back end is no easy task. Lot of stuff out there but it all seems to be more suited towards the SXS and Quad market. For a sand car it's more like needing a "car" hauler vice "toy" hauler. 

Are you looking for a separate garage area ?  As Weekend Warrior FS3000 would have a bed in the front a bathroom and kitchen area you can access without unloading the car but will not have a separate garage area.  That is a thirty foot trailer plus tongue.  On this side of the country you can find these that are 10 years old and pay under 20K for real nice ones.

157990_1.jpg.2f6e77c9b1471dde49649460aa47bd62.jpg 

On 1/28/2019 at 11:46 AM, Sand Shark said:

Get a Lance camper and nice enclosed trailer for your buggy.  The newer cab over campers have slides, nice features, hold a decent amount of water and a good amount or room.  Especially if your trips are solo.  

Those are nice but expensive. He could buy a used Carson Funrunner, not need another trailer for the car, and spend the rest on a better transmission.

24 minutes ago, MWB said:

I looked at 68 used Weekend Warrior FS3000's (all under $20K) on the internet and only 2 showed a picture of the inside garage and those two crappy pictures. Almost as if the sellers didn't want to show the inside for some reason. I did notice a couch and couple chairs, couch didn't look like a fold up and trailers were 33'ish so I guess your useable garage is behind the couch to the rear door.

Was looking for a forward livings quarters something that would accommodate a 16' sand car, prefer to stay away from a bumper pull trailer.

47 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

Go back and look at Acefutures post. I had the same setup as his but my trailer was 2' bigger (26')and I fit a huge rail in it.  I'll bet you could find a used Funrunner for about 8-10k.

10 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

Those are nice but expensive. He could buy a used Carson Funrunner, not need another trailer for the car, and spend the rest on a better transmission.

Found this --> Carson was a Southern California company that built toy haulers for buggies and sand cars.

This link has a good inside picture, not sure of the inside size.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2001-Carson-Trailer-Funrunner-283-5006143353

If you are looking for a wall to go between the car and living quarters and meet your size restrictions you will be building something from scratch.  This is about as short you will find in a toy hauler in a 5th wheel. 

204309841_LE3505Techdims.gif.dff9443195f64a47a82662ddb1e9055c.gif