2 minutes ago, MWB said:

If you are looking for a wall to go between the car and living quarters and meet your size restrictions you will be building something from scratch.  This is about as short you will find in a toy hauler in a 5th wheel. 

Yes, you are 100% spot on in that statement and I will most likely compromise on my wants based on this. A custom build will run $60K and that while nice is a non-starter for me at this point in my research. Funny as I explore Glamis on YouTube I find myself looking at the RV's more than the cars. Ha    

Like I said, this was a big car and it fit like a glove in a 26' Funrunner.  I had a 4 seat Platech before this car that I could back in by just taking the rear tires off and it fit between the wheel wells.  Trailer still had a nice bathroom, storage while traveling etc.  I can't imagine a more economical way of doing the job (and comfortably) than this setup. 

DSCN0660.JPG

DSCN0661.JPG

DSCN0662.JPG

PICT3911.JPG

For the last 5 seasons or so I would fly from Wilminton, NC to LAX, or SNA, hitch a ride with family.  Once I flew to El Centro then an Uber to Glamis Dunes Storage.  I keep the MoHo, enclosed, and sand rail there year round.  I saved money and spent more time in the dunes.

You can also just buy a sand rail, keep it in one of the ship containers at Glamis Dunes Storage and stay in a hotel in Brawley.  Of course you may miss some of the evening festivities.

Many options, Pros and cons to each.  Fortunately you've got time to explore them all before pulling the trigger.

I have this same problem. My wife wants a garage model toyhauler now. I told her they don't have a garage big enough to fit a rail unless the trailers over 40ft long. I don't want to buy a dually truck and drag around a 40ft plus trailer. Getting too old for that. 

I found Keystone makes a 38ft trailer with a 14ft garage. (Called a Raptor 3814) Waiting to get measurements on my car to see if that would work. I know a 4 seat Gen3 Funco will fit as I saw it in one of the pictures on a Craigslist ad. 

She is now open to getting a regular 5th wheel toyhauler as long as it has a living room slide. That is another challenge to find one that a car can fit in. I am searching everyday now and getting frustrated. So I can empathize with you as were in the same boat. 

We have a 34' Forest River Sand Piper. Bumper pull.  Front bedroom. I take my time driving there and back. 3 nights each way usually with visiting family and checking crap out. We tow from Denver to Glamis with a 16' rail and at least 2 kids quad's loaded up. Still plenty of room for the 4 of us and 2 dogs to pull over to sleep and cook. Not a lot of room for sitting though. At least we can still even open the fridge.

A shorter front bath model would work. You just have to have the room to drop the beds in the rear to sleep. The dual exterior doors on forest rivers are nice for this. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, Flip-Flop said:

For the last 5 seasons or so I would fly from Wilminton, NC to LAX, or SNA, hitch a ride with family.  Once I flew to El Centro then an Uber to Glamis Dunes Storage.  I keep the MoHo, enclosed, and sand rail there year round.  I saved money and spent more time in the dunes.

You can also just buy a sand rail, keep it in one of the ship containers at Glamis Dunes Storage and stay in a hotel in Brawley.  Of course you may miss some of the evening festivities.

Many options, Pros and cons to each.  Fortunately you've got time to explore them all before pulling the trigger.

Interesting, never gave much thought to a hotel in Brawley or the Navy Lodge at NAF El Centro. I do think the overall comraderies and evening festivities play an important part of the whole Galmis experience. I also hate chasing a bathroom.

Surf & Dune thanks for those pictures gives me good perspective on car size vs. trailer.

50 minutes ago, Dennis58 said:

Interesting, never gave much thought to a hotel in Brawley or the Navy Lodge at NAF El Centro. I do think the overall comraderies and evening festivities play an important part of the whole Galmis experience. I also hate chasing a bathroom.

Its funny how much we actually buy and pay just to have a bathroom.

19 hours ago, Dennis58 said:

Another thought instead of a hotel is to rent a trailer from the Luv to Camp guys or ???   They set it up in the location you want to camp and then pick it up when you’re done. 

8 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

Another thought instead of a hotel is to rent a trailer from the Luv to Camp guys or ???   They set it up in the location you want to camp and then pick it up when you’re done. 

Always wanted to try this, to have a rental trailer dropped off in a good spot and show up with truck and trailer and have a gayranteed spot rather than driving up and down gecko staring at little spots hoping I can fit!

13 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

Always wanted to try this, to have a rental trailer dropped off in a good spot and show up with truck and trailer and have a gayranteed spot rather than driving up and down gecko staring at little spots hoping I can fit!

If and when I go to Idaho this will be what I do.  Much easier to just haul a flat bed trailer.

I Photo Shopped this together its a bit rough but you can see the idea. Sandrail and Lance 855 both go on a Gooseneck with about 25 feet of deck space. Pretty Cool setup and probably be cheaper than a new Fifth wheel.

Gooseneck Dune RIG.PNG