Dennis58

Where do you get fuel at Glamis?

I'm goin to just keep my stupid questions in the Beginners and Newbies section for now.

So reading some other thread I came across some discussion about fuel consumption going from place to place depending on where you were camped. Got me to thinking about people who go for extended trips (couple weeks) running V8's and I'm assuming at some point you will have consumed all the fuel you hauled in. What do you do at that point or where do you go to get more? 

Dennis

Get a barrel and fill it up before you go.  If that doesn't work, plan your "resupply" trips to town (Brawley) and fill up when in town.

Brawley is about 30 minutes away.  Or you can go to the GDS (Glamis Dunes Storage)  but you will pay a premium for convenience and for them to haul it in.  Figure about 1.75 - 2.5 times of typical California retail.

If your going for that long you will be going into town to get more than just fuel though  

From the South dunes, I go to Yuma.  The fuel is cheaper and I figure CA got enough of my tax money the 55 years I lived there.  From Glamis, Brawley makes the most sense and I usually go to Kennedy's and get some carne asada to throw on the grille.

Edited by Kat-A-Tonic

Like MWB said. Glamis Dunes Storage has fuel at a pump. Its $6.50 a gal for premium 91 Octane so they say. GDS also has race fuel $15.00 a gallon and propane $6.50 a Gal. Going to town saves you the money. Just the fuel burned there and back in what ever you drove into Glamis with. Might be a pain and buying at storage be worth it.

Race fuel $15.00 a gal, I will just bring it from AL and sell it. Ha

Now I have to figure out the whole E85 thing. Our gas here is Reg 86 Oct, 91 Oct, E10 I think and 110 Race fuel at about $5 gal

Edited by Dennis58

There’s a new Pilot right at the edge of Brawley. Quick turn around especially from Gecko road. 

We got to Brawley and grab other items as well from the market, never a wasted trip.

I don't like paying ridiculous $$ when i can avoid it.

If you're still sold on a V8 car in the budget you talked about 91 should be what you need. I do several long trip a season. I figure "10 gallons a day per car" to figure how much fuel I will need. I fill the cars and the fuel station. I usually get out before the wife and she comes out in the truck with a full transfer tank and if we need more or someone else does. The truck goes to Brawley.

I usually manage to bring everything I need but the real challenge is planning and bring enough food and not have it get funky by day 14. 

I also make sure I have cash for a call to Bernie and the honey wagon.

I could probably write a short how to book on long trip I've done so many. :coocoo:

8 hours ago, Grease Monkey said:

Like MWB said. Glamis Dunes Storage has fuel at a pump. Its $6.50 a gal for premium 91 Octane so they say. GDS also has race fuel $15.00 a gallon and propane $6.50 a Gal. Going to town saves you the money. Just the fuel burned there and back in what ever you drove into Glamis with. Might be a pain and buying at storage be worth it.

I definitely will pay $6.50 a gallon to refuel my SxS.  I didn't know that existed until tonight.  This gives me more motivation to drive more miles!!  

Is all fuel in CA E85? Seems I read on here somewhere that a car (assuming LS1) needed to be tuned to run on E85, what if you're running a different fuel?

8 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

I definitely will pay $6.50 a gallon to refuel my SxS.  I didn't know that existed until tonight.  This gives me more motivation to drive more miles!!  

Gas cans are cheap.  What it would cost you to fill up your SXS would pay for another gas can that you could bring with you.

I have always just planned my gas runs and go at the end of the day or early morning before everyone gets up.  Morning is usually better going to Brawley so there is not any traffic.  I have not done that in years though because I always bring more fuel than I need.  The best thing I did was get a transfer tank mounted in my truck.  If I was doing a motor home and trailer, I would mount a tank on my trailer.

16 hours ago, Dennis58 said:

Is all fuel in CA E85? Seems I read on here somewhere that a car (assuming LS1) needed to be tuned to run on E85, what if you're running a different fuel

What? Lol, no

reg 87, mid 89, prem 91 is all normal fuels avail here in Cali 

e85 is ethanol ( flex fuel ) but can be used in most cases in place of race gas at 1/5 or lower per gallon, but engine must be flex fuel compatible or tuned to run e85. 

With an LS motor all you need is 91. If it is tuned to run E85 it would have a ton of compression or it has turbos or blower and running a lot of boost. Either way it would make way more power then a 2D could handle and odds are in a car costing 70k or more. 

On 1/31/2019 at 9:39 PM, Phoenix7 said:

I would recommend to bring enough gas and not rely on anything or anyone out there.... 

Ok I'm up to speed on E85, all I have really bought for the last 15 years is diesel for the truck and tractors and non-ethanol for the Stihl equipment.  I run 91 whatever in the Vette (427 390hp) with no issues.

9 hours ago, DEV'S RZR said:

I would recommend to bring enough gas and not rely on anything or anyone out there.... 

Really!?! 

i have a 80 gal transfer tank mounted in the bed of my truck.i stop at loves in yuma and fill it.on a long trip with my two kids and wife i will go through almost all of it.if not its less i have to fill for the next trip.going into town to me is atleast a 2 + hour trip.so i try to avoid it.unless the wife goes into town for laundry duty.then i have to hit remmys butcher for meat,maybe auto store if im low on supplys in trailer.fill my propane across from remmys.but i can do without running into town.transfer tank was a great investment.

Just put this back in my truck. Life at G will be much easier! Now I can sell some! 94 Gals.

i-F3RLHqV-X3.jpg

+1 for the OP's avatar...