r3meyer

Theft prevention ideas. Buggies, Tow Rig, etc.

1 hour ago, Dune Marshall said:

I would eff myself on this one, im sure of it ūüôā

Just put lug nuts with ball mount so as not to forget.

Ok everyone is saying you need good insurance I totally agree but who sells insurance on a $150,000 car? I have been told nobody will insure above a $50,000 limit is there any company that will insure a car for its full replacement  value?

This make me so confused, really it is common sense, is someone it there are going to get it, so if the can see it they can study it,

the best is still trackers,

I have talked to a couple of officers and funny story is the pimps put 3-4 trackers on the there car when the Hoe's take them

last month my brother in laws trailer was stolen and it had the yellow tongue lock it also had large locking cable on each side, threw the wheels and then a car and another trailer parked in front of it and behind it,  with security cameras

and in the morning it was gone, with all the parts melted siting on the ground,

anything can be cut, and dragged away ,

multiple trackers are I feel the best way to recover a trailer,

Had another friend had his trailer stolen from the back yard, someone must have know what was in the trailer, the gate locks cut, trailer locks cut and drove it away,

Sandroosten Big Pit was drugged and then he was robbed, not one camera could see any good pictures

1 hour ago, sausage450r said:

Haha. Me too. Im constantly putting things in places so they dont get lost or broken, and then later i can never find them. :doh:

hA HA! Exactly !¬† I will put them right here so i dont forget where they............................Wait a minute, where did I put those ?? ūüôā

On my enclosed, I take the tongue jack off, the trailer stays up on jack stands only.  I also keep the front low, so if someone wants to steal it they must bring their own jack.  I also have the tongue lock and wheel lock.  I also don't keep my toys in the trailer, they go in the garage, I am  paranoid of all the tweekers nowadays.

4 minutes ago, Cookie said:

On my enclosed, I take the tongue jack off, the trailer stays up on jack stands only.  I also keep the front low, so if someone wants to steal it they must bring their own jack.  I also have the tongue lock and wheel lock.  I also don't keep my toys in the trailer, they go in the garage, I am  paranoid of all the tweekers nowadays.

I feel the issue with most of this is that thieves go in casing the trailer and a game plan

I did have a idea where you have a small hook in the ground and hook a separate emergency brake lock and battery, like the break away

so at least if they are having trouble getting it, they just might abandon the idea, so some kind of trailer brake lock that they can not figure out,

it might be some work but they have mechanical hand brakes for trailer like a tilt bed, if you can lock up a pair of wheels they might unhook and just leave it

9 minutes ago, J Alper said:

I feel the issue with most of this is that thieves go in casing the trailer and a game plan

I did have a idea where you have a small hook in the ground and hook a separate emergency brake lock and battery, like the break away

so at least if they are having trouble getting it, they just might abandon the idea, so some kind of trailer brake lock that they can not figure out,

it might be some work but they have mechanical hand brakes for trailer like a tilt bed, if you can lock up a pair of wheels they might unhook and just leave it

I agree, just trying not to be the easiest trailer to steal................if they want it, they will take it.

31 minutes ago, J Alper said:

A second break away switch near the tires with the lanyard hooked discreatly to a wheel would work.

2 hours ago, Turn and Burn said:

Ok everyone is saying you need good insurance I totally agree but who sells insurance on a $150,000 car? I have been told nobody will insure above a $50,000 limit is there any company that will insure a car for its full replacement  value?

50k be better then nothing 

GPS Pingers!    We had a truck and  20 foot van trailer stolen.,  He cut threw two locked gates, smashed the alarm system box but the cameras was in a different  location, so we know what time he took it.  The truck was to far from the camera to id anyone,  He took the truck at about 1030 pm,  Our help came in at 600am and called one truck gone! Called the PD and they got there by630 am. Told PD that we have GPS tracking on the truck.  the officer looked at my phone for 15 minutes at the gps tracking log  and said he knew where the truck was and was going to go get it. By 730 am we had the truck back . The trailer was dumped in a different location,. 930 am we had the trailer back. The gps showed him stopping at the circle K  for beer and had a clear picture  of him getting in the truck.. Officer knows  him by name.   1030 am undercover officers  looking for him.   Without the gps trackers we would not have found  the truck or trailer.

now all of our trucks, trailers and sxs have gps tracking,  you can look on your phone and know where it is.

I use two tougue locks that would require an angle grinder.  I have the electric tongue jack wired to a switch inside the trailer so they would have to break into the trailer to turn it on.  The jack requires a special tool to manually raise and lower it.  Like Sandsycho said...think in layers.  I am going to dig a hole and fill it with concrete and steel, then run a huge chain to the trailer when I get my new one.  My trailer is on the side of the house and it's wedged between the house and a wall so there's no way to get anything big out of it without moving it.  I have been looking for a good GPS tracker....Thanks Scott for posting that.  I'll look those up!  Oh ya...and I aways have at least one gun on me at all times. :ken:

~jw  

A trick I have used in the past is install a Ford starter solenoid between the battery and the starter with a ground switch hidden under a panel you can push with your foot when the panel flexes. The solenoid can be activated with a ground.

A different trick that saved one of my trucks was, I had three fuel tanks with a four position switch and when I was out of town I put the switch (hidden under the seat) on the position that had a plug. Someone hot wired it and drove it to the middle of the street where it ran out of gas, where it was when I came home and found it. DON~~~

Edited by donparscale
bad spelling

I forgot to mention...I used to put a pretty good size cable lock through the wheels when I parked it on the street at my old house...until I forgot to unlock it one day.  I pulled away and sheered that thing in half and I didn't hear or feel a thing, until my neighbor told me I was dragging something!  Ah....SH#%!  I don't use a cable lock anymore.  It was useless.  I have aluminum wheels with rounded hols in them too....not the steel wheels with sharp edges.  Didnt' even make a mark on the wheel.

~jw

First trip of the season I was so excited I drove off with the 5th wheel still plugged in with the extension cord attached.  Buddy called me on the radio as soon as I pulled out of my driveway that I was dragging something.  The lugnut idea would do me more harm then good.  I am a certified space cadet.  

17 hours ago, jaysbay777 said:

I second Scott device. I talked to Scott about these devices and I purchased one and they work well.

Johnny

KK6RGN

20 hours ago, MGM/FRP said:

I use this on everything I have.  They work great. https://trak-4.com/

I looked into this device and it is super reasonable so im going to get one, but probably 3 of them, like $6 to 10 bucks a months per unit and they are cheap to buy too.  I can put them in my tractors I rent, and my trailers.  great find.

Now remember, it is fastcorvairs who deserves the credit for the lug nut removal idea as he is who posted this first.

Again after trying I like it and feel more at ease, thanks. No I don't insure for thief, if it's gone I'll live.

Edited by Richard H

2 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I looked into this device and it is super reasonable so im going to get one, but probably 3 of them, like $6 to 10 bucks a months per unit and they are cheap to buy too.  I can put them in my tractors I rent, and my trailers.  great find.

I have 3 of them, and rotate them from my jetski's to my sxs's through out the season.  You have to seal them with a rubber plug or good tape if your going to use them on the water, but other than that, they work well.  If you set them to ping every hour, you get about 3 months life out of them. They make a hardwire kit as well, but because I move them around, I like the battery option.

Tracking is the best for sure.

Another option is Lo-Jack, the new ones are 100% battery powered and 1/2 the size of a pack of smokes.

We just became a dealer and can offer a discounted installed price of $525 for a car or truck, $555 for any trailer, buggy, SxS or whatever you want except a boat, but can install one on the trailer. No monthly charges. If your asset is stolen, once recovered a new tracker will be installed free of charge.  Mobile install, we'll come to you.

The plus, once you report it stolen, the police take over and locate your asset, you don't have to go and be a hero and confront some dirt bag with your vehicle.

If you are interested PM me and I can give you more details.

Since dirtbag tweekers and thieves don’t usually last a long time, this:

B7F421A8-E0F8-4DC3-BF4A-9DCA4D7A7F7F.thumb.jpeg.340442832fb15df0f9d12520cbd51e48.jpeg

Will probably be the most effective anti-theft device in a couple of years...

Edited by Rockwood

This thing works great in the dunes, after locking you toy up, just put it in your sand car and the other part in your trailer and it will ring in your trailer when anyone is messing with your ride. Less than $20 at HF. I have a couple of them and they work great. DON~~~

Driveway patrol.jpg

14 minutes ago, donparscale said:

This thing works great in the dunes, after locking you toy up, just put it in your sand car and the other part in your trailer and it will ring in your trailer when anyone is messing with your ride. Less than $20 at HF. I have a couple of them and they work great. DON~~~

Driveway patrol.jpg

We use these in camp. Have a couple laying around just in case someone wants to steal a beer or 2.

Simple and cheap way to deter a would be tailgate thief. I put a hose clamp around the slotted end of the tailgate. I rotate the screw head to make it more difficult. Cheap and effective. 

DE94E6E6-4889-48A8-9A5D-0BDDD21FB3A5.jpeg

I use this to put the trailer facing forward. No way for them to get a vehicle to the trailer tongue. 

image.png.e91775d513a2dd9d9fdd39d092df8d43.png

1 minute ago, RIDERED said:

I use this to put the trailer facing forward. No way for them to get a vehicle to the trailer tongue. 

image.png.e91775d513a2dd9d9fdd39d092df8d43.png

Tweekers are strong:

giphy.gif

Need to use some of this chain for your toys?

IMG_20190208_093538939.jpg

IMG_20190208_093556047_HDR.jpg