r3meyer

Theft prevention ideas. Buggies, Tow Rig, etc.

I feel like every other post on facebook is a "Stolen" thread.  That being said what are you guys doing to keep your items safe?  I am not talking about insurance or GPS.  Once they have it, you have been violated.  

I have the standard 5th wheel lock for the trailer and cable locks through the car and bikes, but unfortunately that just keeps the honest people honest. I park equipment or another trailer in front but It’s a world full of no-good dishonest thieves and tweakers. I just hope they are slow enough that I can catch them in the act if it ever happens. 

Lock stuff up. The device in the third photo is in the cement to lock to the frame. Also my landing gear is locked so you can't retract it. Also I have a car alarm in my trailer. Most trailers have a battery so why not a alarm.  Also or course a lock on the tongue. DON~~~

New pictures 169.jpg

New pictures 170.jpg

Driveway 022.JPG

Driveway 050.JPG

As posted before and best idea I heard of, I now do this. Remove all lug nuts from trailer wheels. Even with them removed I have entered and walked around inside with no issues.

If you have good insurance you shouldn’t have to worry about any of it.  

I keep the buggy in the garage on jack stands and lock all the wheels and tires in the enclosed trailer in the backyard behind the motorhome. I have no insurance And would not expect my homeowner's insurance to cover if anything desert related ever went missing.

I also have wanted to play god my entire adult life so... I carry a loaded pistol on My hip at home when awake just waiting  for the chance.  

I use this on everything I have.  They work great. https://trak-4.com/

You don't need to have your stuff theft proof, you just want it to be just a little harder to get then the guy next to you.  Criminals are lazy and will take the stuff that is easy to grab in a hurry. make them time and your chances of getting ripped off lowers.

Cables get cut, locks get drilled, locked tongue's get lifted  up.  For every theft proof idea you have a thief has a fix. You just want the one that makes them go on to the next trailer/ house /car because yours is to much work.

I can't park my trailer at the house so it has to be stored. I lock the tongue and run a cable through the wheels.....probably not enough but would be a deterrent with the 300 other rigs around it. When the trailer is at the house it's always behind the truck so they'd have to steal the truck and trailer. If I'm not going to be home for a while or it sits overnight I remove a key component to starting the truck so if you want the truck and trailer you'll have to tow them both to  get them.

Trailer and buggy are insured. I'm not sure why anybody would not insure their stuff...…..

18 minutes ago, mike dee said:

While true, do you leave your stuff out in the open, unlocked and keys in the ignition etc? If you do, I hope your toys, etc are plain jane stock.

3 minutes ago, MWB said:

You don't need to have your stuff theft proof, you just want it to be just a little harder to get then the guy next to you.  Criminals are lazy and will take the stuff that is easy to grab in a hurry. make them time and your chances of getting ripped off lowers.

Cables get cut, locks get drilled, locked tongue's get lifted  up.  For every theft proof idea you have a thief has a fix. You just want the one that makes them go on to the next trailer/ house /car because yours is to much work.

Truth. Make it not worth their time and efforts.

10 minutes ago, Richard H said:

As posted before and best idea I heard of, I now do this. Remove all lug nuts from trailer wheels. Even with them removed I have entered and walked around inside with no issues.

I love that idea too, just thinking about the wheel falling off and sticking the guys truck and your trailer for good right where it happens.  I don't leave my car in the trailer.  If its ever at home I make it so it cant run and still put a cable lock around it to some other thing in my garage!.  When the trailer is connected to my truck I make it so my truck cant run too, even for one night!

When I didn't have insurance I'd block the buggy in at night with my truck. Wasn't difficult, but just another chore, and I'd still wake up in the morning and look out the window to see if it was still there. But now that I have insurance I just turn off the kill switch, remove the headsets and leave it where it is parked after the last ride. As stated above, locks keep honest people honest. If it does disappear, I want it to be forever though, no joyrides. 

I just don't have nice things. It's worked for me so far.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Crooks have a solution for every commercially available anti theft product sold. Nice battery powered angle grinders make short work of cables and lock. Think outside the box and think in layers. The more they have to over come and deal with unexpected problems, the more likely they will give up and bail. 

Most stuff you hear about is stolen from a storage lot or in front of the persons house. You don't hear a lot of stuff being stolen from people's back yards where dogs can be and owners know you don't belong and far more willing to shot. 

1 hour ago, B0NES said:

It’s a world full of no-good dishonest thieves and tweakers. I just hope they are slow enough that I can catch them in the act if it ever happens. 

It seems like it is, doesn't it?     What's your plan if you catch someone in the act?

Anything that can be defeated with a set of 36 inch bolt cutters isn’t enough. Thieves are not known to be hard workers or overly intellectual. On anything that can be started simply install a hidden toggle switch for the ignition, and put a shut off on the fuel line. They may get it started but with a fuel line valve shut off it won’t move very far. Once they have to work in it after moving it from your location they will bail.

On a trailer use a plate and unbolt the tongue. With electric impacts you can whip one off or one in a minute or two.

I had one that we built for a guy with a tongue that slid in like a reverse receiver hitch. It was a job trailer and he would just remove the hitch and take it with him.

Best defense is out of sight out of mind. Also entrance gates deter more thieves than anything as a thief will simply look to the easiest target. Make sure you are smarter than your neighbor. Kinds like making sure there is someone slower than you when in the woods.

In your home buy a fancy wooden gun cabinet with a glass door and a lock. Put in a 10/22, a cheap single shot shotgun, a couple junk pistols and a low end AR. Set it in the living room. When a thief comes in and sees it they will take it, making themselves anxious to hurry up and leave never finding the “good stuff”.

Just a very little forethought and planning increases your chances of “survival” exponentially.

Also make sure your neighbors know how much you would love to shoot an intruder. Many many thefts are done by friends and neighbors or there associates they have run there mouths off too.

Move from high crime area. That is no way to live especially when you own many things making you feel overly exposed.

41 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

While true, do you leave your stuff out in the open, unlocked and keys in the ignition etc? If you do, I hope your toys, etc are plain jane stock.

Truth. Make it not worth their time and efforts.

Just a pad lock on front n rear trailer. And not stock, my insurance covers all my upgrades.  

If they want it, they will get it! That’s why you insure it.  I’ve seen toys locked up like Fort Knox inside of shipping containers with even a boat stored in front of it.  They plasma cut the door off,  hooked up to boat - stole boat because it was quicker than unhooking, then stole all the toys.  Not sure why people spend so much on toys and little or no insurance. 

Edited to add.... yes keys in ignition, I’d lose em if I didnt😂

Edited by mike dee

12 minutes ago, SofaKing said:

It seems like it is, doesn't it?     What's your plan if you catch someone in the act?

I’d love to say I’d shoot them, I keep my pistols loaded and close through out the house, close to what 2turbofords states above, but let’s be honest..I probably won’t shoot anyone over a piece of metal with a couple tires attached to it. But I grew up fighting for sport, and it wouldn’t be the first time (or second time) I’ve put someone in the hospital after catching them stealing. 

I’m sure SP can attest to this statement:(?)  At that point the cops, if they show up (usually do), will take a few pictures and lecture me on taking the law into my own hands (probably because I robbed them of a good time), instead of arresting me for attempted murder if I shoot someone.  And it’s very likely that they already know the individual from past dealings. (And unfortunately me as well sometimes), so they know the situation.  I live in a great neighborhood, but just over the tracks (figuratively speaking) is the meth capitol of the world. 

Good that you've thought it through. Sounds like you could serve up a good beat down, if necessary. Have some Flex-Cuffs handy too. Makes the wait for the cops more comfortable for you.

Always have the mindset that somebody already there might have found one of your loaded weapons.

I'm usually armed myself. All of my firearms (except the one I carry) are unloaded and locked up when I'm not home. Every time I come home, unless I know family is already there, I check for signs of a burglary before I relax. I'll never break this habit. My Glock's on the nightstand, covered with the sports section at night. I guess I'm living is a constant state of Yellow with an occasional burst of Orange.

That last sentence is the answer to the OP's question of how I keep my stuff safe. That, plus my insurance agent for peace of mind.

3 hours ago, Richard H said:

I would eff myself on this one, im sure of it 🙂

2 hours ago, MGM/FRP said:

I use this on everything I have.  They work great. https://trak-4.com/

I second Scott device. I talked to Scott about these devices and I purchased one and they work well.

Johnny

KK6RGN

3 hours ago, mike dee said:

Agreed. I do use a cable lock too. But if they really want it they will get it

3 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

I keep the buggy in the garage on jack stands and lock all the wheels and tires in the enclosed trailer in the backyard behind the motorhome. I have no insurance And would not expect my homeowner's insurance to cover if anything desert related ever went missing.

I also have wanted to play god my entire adult life so... I carry a loaded pistol on My hip at home when awake just waiting  for the chance.  

Haha. Before i got married my room mates used to joke that i never slept i just laid in wait. I heard every car/truck that drove down our remote road and greeted late night friends of room mates at the door with a pistol (road was probably the roughest neighborhood in that town). 

At the desert its cable locks. I used to store my toyhauler on family property and every month some co$! Sucker crack head would pry the side door open and eff it up, but they would never steal anything but maybe alcohol, because there was nothing really of value. I just quit locking it. I would regularly go check on it and the door would be wide open, but not broken and nothing stolen. I do the same with my motorhome in my yard now. Keys are even in the cup holder

Edited by sausage450r

40 minutes ago, Dune Marshall said:

I would eff myself on this one, im sure of it 🙂

Haha. Me too. Im constantly putting things in places so they dont get lost or broken, and then later i can never find them. :doh:

3 hours ago, spize909 said:

I can't park my trailer at the house so it has to be stored. I lock the tongue and run a cable through the wheels.....probably not enough but would be a deterrent with the 300 other rigs around it. When the trailer is at the house it's always behind the truck so they'd have to steal the truck and trailer. If I'm not going to be home for a while or it sits overnight I remove a key component to starting the truck so if you want the truck and trailer you'll have to tow them both to  get them.

Trailer and buggy are insured. I'm not sure why anybody would not insure their stuff...…..

I used to put the fuel pump on a hidden switch or a missing option switch (fog lights, for example).  That way it starts and runs for a bit, but sputters and dies after a short distance.  Most thieves would just think it's a POS and move on.

I'm hoping that I make so much noise in my hood that everyone stays away! Constant buggy revs, dirt bikes constantly going up and down the block, constant relatives and friends over in packs with the toys out on the lawn. I purposely leave my garage open when I'm grinding, cutting away. My neighbors know how I roll. If I'm tuning a machine all night then I'll be gone for the weekend. Great to have retired neighbors lol