Squatcher

looking for a yfz450 what years to look at.

Looking a quad for my son for next season.  what years of 450 should I stay away from and what are the years to look for?  I see a lot of sale with rebuild engines.  do they go though engines a lot.  some schooling on 450s would be great what say you all. 

I have an 09. It’s the first year of the fuel injection.  I’ve never had one issue with it, except replacing a new battery. They are great bikes. My buddy has an 06 and I feel like he has problems pretty regularly. We are wrenching on it pretty often out there. 

I have a couple of 05s barely even used all stock and they don't skip a beat. I think there's a $1k price difference in going from carbbed to fuel injected. I believe all those rebuilt ones are probably ones that get tampered with a lot. Like weekend racers type. I usually stay away from ads that show every single mod in the book. They are great bikes period! 

I’d go with 09+ due to fuel injection. Awesome machines!!

thanks on the years.  My buddy told me that the valves need adjusting all the time and are a total pain in the ass.  looking for a quad that I don't spend $$$$ every season.   kid only use it 10 times a year and don't want problems when I go to use it.   09 or better.   Buddy did tell me there carbs are a total pain in the butt and have like 5 jets in there.   

Had an 08 that ran like a champ; never had valve issues.  It's a Yamaha, not a Honda.

43 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

thanks on the years.  My buddy told me that the valves need adjusting all the time and are a total pain in the ass.  looking for a quad that I don't spend $$$$ every season.   kid only use it 10 times a year and don't want problems when I go to use it.   09 or better.   Buddy did tell me there carbs are a total pain in the butt and have like 5 jets in there.   

If you keep the air cleaner clean and oiled the valves will hold their adjustment for along time. Same with jetting. Improper air cleaner maintenance is usually what causes  carb and valve issues.  Treated right the motors will run along time. Stay away from K&N type air cleaners they kill motors without a outerwear . They need to be started regularly when the sit to prevent gas from gumming up fuel system components.

I wouldn't worry about adjusting valve's.  It's not something that has to happen as much as they say.  In the 14 years and 3 bikes I have adjusted twice. both times were pretty close and didn't really need to be moved that much.  but go ahead and check every year if you like they don't move a lot and I rode the piss out of 2 of mine.

A 450 is a pretty big step up for a young kid IMHO it's not the power that gets them in trouble 99% of the time, Nor is it the doing stupid stuff they shouldn't be doing.  What bits them in the ass most of the time is the one thing they don't have yet and that is an ass.  Kelsey was a fantastic rider, kid had natural talent and had no problem riding and most of the time out riding the best adult riders out there. If you remember correctly what took her down was when the bike got a little out of shape and she needed weight and strength to get it back under control she had neither and became a passenger.

The lighter bikes 400EX as well as the smaller Yamaha Raptor's  ( not the 700's)  will get them everywhere in the dunes that they need to go and are a lot lighter.  Even if they are on the rev limiter the entire time it is better for them to be on a smaller lighter bike that there weight and center of gravity is more in line with.  It also  will be better suited to become a better rider in the long run.

But if you have your heart set on a YFZ450R aluminium frame fuel injected quad that would scare the crap out of you, give me a call I will be selling mine here in the next few weeks.

He taps out his 250 raptor already and the suspension isn't up to what he can handle anymore.  I just got a 525 outlaw ktm to ride with him and he rides the damm thing better than me.  was looking for next season and think i want to stick with a stock bike with some nerfs on it.  I won't be putting paddles on it for a couple of season also. 

Also if you’re going to do it, the R is a huge improvement. Maybe doesn’t matter much for a kid, but my R is awesome. I rode 250r’s and banshees since I was a kid and this bike is my favorite. 

4 hours ago, bizness said:

Had an 08 that ran like a champ; never had valve issues.  It's a Yamaha, not a Honda.

Damn this is so true hahahaaaa I told "that" buddy to buy a Yamaha and shows up with a Honda. What did we do that trip? Tune tune tune. 

I had a 05 450. It was a great bike. Adjusted the valve a few times over 4 years.

They used the same engine as the motorcycles except they retard the cam by one tooth. If you set the cam back up to the bike spec it picks up a considerable amount of power and makes a better torque curve.  Very easy to do with no detrimental effects. Not sure if the fuel injected bikes are the same way.

The Yamaha Ti valves on the '04-08 are good valves when you maintain the bike properly. I would buy one of those long before an R, especially if it was well kept. The R has a host of issues, and the YFZ is such an easy bike to make mid 50s with which is MORE than enough for a kid. '06-08 has a better head. The '07-08 has the "oil mod" stock which is an oil nozzle for the wrist pin lubrication, so those are the two years I would hone in on. '07-08 with a good pipe (DASA, Monster), a good intake (FCI), cam mod (retard the exhaust cam a tooth) and good jetting (45 pilot, plugged leak, 2 turns out, NDSR 4th clip, 180 main) will make 50 all day long, and once again, be more than enough for him. 

16 hours ago, bizness said:

Agreed. Valves dont need that much attention. Buddy was being dramatic

41 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

Agreed. Valves dont need that much attention. Buddy was being dramatic

Right! Left sitting? I let mine sit from end of last season to beginning of this season maybe 7 months. Not once did I start it up or whatever. Same gas, battery, valves all of it to hear it fire right up! Music to my ears. Sent a little throttle body cleaner down the carb while running for good measure but probably didn't even need it. Running like a champ! 

Matt bought 2 2009 450 R's fuel injected ones for his daughters. Never have to deal with eFFed up carbs. The R's have a longer swingarm.

Edited by Air450

i've had an 09 r for 6+ years and never touched it beside oil change. runs like a top always!

get a 09 or newer 450r  i love mine 

On 2/4/2019 at 9:08 PM, B0NES said:

I have an 09. It’s the first year of the fuel injection.  I’ve never had one issue with it, except replacing a new battery. They are great bikes. My buddy has an 06 and I feel like he has problems pretty regularly. We are wrenching on it pretty often out there. 

why did u have to replace a "new battery" ?