Kraut_n_Rice

Wall frame advise

So, GD, I super-size my dog situation a couple weekends ago.  :scared:

Now I need to replace my existing doggie door with one that triple digit pooches can fit through (one is 117, the other 108)  My problem is that there is a stud right in the middle of the wall where this door will need to go.  It's basically just to the left of the smaller door, I anchored the interior panel to it when I installed it years ago.  Without the downward spiral that would become a kitchen remodel, is there any danger in me just cutting that stud out?  The whole wall is probably about 3' between the window frame, and the corner of the room.  

pups.jpg

door.jpg

should be no problem.  you would frame it like you would a window. pardon my horrible sketch.  beautiful Rottie's. how did you end up with 2 full grown rotties?

20190205_070029.jpg

Love the dogs!  I have a 120lb female Rottie!!  

We did the sliding glass door doggie door for ours.

3 minutes ago, 2DASAND said:

Love the dogs!  I have a 120lb female Rottie!!  

We did the sliding glass door doggie door for ours.

Sliding glass doggie door...…..pics?

Thanks for the pic.

I kinda figured that's what I would need to do.  I'm just trying to keep from having to open the wall up too much.

The Rotties came from a rescue in Gilbert.  My GF and I had been looking to get puppies, but my work schedule has me out of town a bunch.  I didn't want to stick her with the training.  She ended up finding Rotten Rotties.  We had been communicating with then for some time until the right one(s) became available.   These two came from somewhere in Southern Cali.  There owner went to jail, and they kinda bounced around with his neighbors until they couldn't handle them living in there RV...  They are just 2, but pretty well behaved for being  in and out of places.  We have  training for them as soon as they are healed from being fixed.

Well, the look on their face says a lot.  They are lucky to get rescued by you.  I rescued my last Rott in about '04.

13 minutes ago, BW Willy said:

Sliding glass doggie door...…..pics?

This is what we use.

ideal_fast_fit_patio_pet_door_doggie_door_1100.jpg

Of course they're out of order... But, you get the idea. Started to get stormmy so  I just had to make it functional for tonight.

If the door were 1" wider it wouldn't have fit. Phew..

029584A2-FD1B-4A44-8446-6D3A2FDDAF18.jpeg

9B60F058-AFE5-4A8D-BBE5-3CA3AFD343A6.jpeg

AA41F328-775D-455F-9D10-E084227D0CEE.jpeg

90EAB6B1-E33C-438E-9029-F95CF04C80D5.jpeg

D2D9859E-B737-4A82-B417-7DC87825169C.jpeg

That's about as good as you could have done it..........except the wire nuts. I'd at least tape the shit out of them.

Congrats on the beautiful dogs!

As a X framing contractor I say good job. Always a darn wire in the way. DON~~~

Yeah, didn't have much of a choice on the nuts.  I wasn't gonna pull wire, both directions, to the next outlet, they are anchored and not gonna move. They were like that, only shorter, for 10 years from the previous install.  :td:

Thanks on the dogs

On 2/5/2019 at 8:45 AM, 2DASAND said:

This is what we use.

ideal_fast_fit_patio_pet_door_doggie_door_1100.jpg

samething we have

Looks like you have enough wire to add a box above the door on the right side.

Then on the left side cut in a box and put the wire on the left in it. 

Add a new wire from box to box. You can put outlets in either of the boxes or just blank plates.

The wire nuts  in the wall is a bad idea. 

Easy to do now.

Just looked a pics again the wire on the right is too short. 

You can cut a box in on the 90deg. wall just below where the wire is drilled in corner. 

Use the existing wire as a pull string to get the new wire around the corner. 

Your insurance company will appreciate it.

Those dogs look really happy and content. I can’t say much on the framing as I’m a grading contractor and any time I pick up a hammer I smash my fingers. I literally broke my finger 2 days ago trying to hammer something and smashed the crap out of it and had to get several stitches and my nail drilled out. 

But as far as the dogs go I think that’s great. I love dogs and when given the love and respect they deserve they definitely return it. Nice job buddy 👍🏽 

N

1 hour ago, cola said:

Looks like you have enough wire to add a box above the door on the right side.

Then on the left side cut in a box and put the wire on the left in it. 

Add a new wire from box to box. You can put outlets in either of the boxes or just blank plates.

The wire nuts  in the wall is a bad idea. 

Easy to do now.

There is an outlet just out of view in the pic.  It'd have two, two feet apart.

1 hour ago, cola said:

Just looked a pics again the wire on the right is too short. 

You can cut a box in on the 90deg. wall just below where the wire is drilled in corner. 

Use the existing wire as a pull string to get the new wire around the corner. 

Your insurance company will appreciate it.

This would put an outlet, or plate, three feet off the ground, in between a switch and outlet.  Aesthetics aren't everything, but that would surely look like shit on both accounts.

These nutted areas aren't "in" the wall.  They are just behind the thin plastic plates that make up the door/wall kit.  That is a GFI circuit that also doesn't really get used.  Thanks for the look out though.

don't need to tape the nuts, but i wouldn't leave them in the wall.  at least do a metal box.  if it shorts out and burns you and the house down, who the hell am i gonna call with my 3.5 honda problems????

1 hour ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

N

There is an outlet just out of view in the pic.  It'd have two, two feet apart.

This would put an outlet, or plate, three feet off the ground, in between a switch and outlet.  Aesthetics aren't everything, but that would surely look like shit on both accounts.

These nutted areas aren't "in" the wall.  They are just behind the thin plastic plates that make up the door/wall kit.  That is a GFI circuit that also doesn't really get used.  Thanks for the look out though.

That was just the better way, not the only.  If you don't use them disconnect them. 

Probably not a surprise to many that I'm an automotive electric guy.  I design somewhat complex electrical schemes for a manufacturing company that builds water blasting  equipment.  40kpsi.  On road, and off. 

A/C power is not really my thing.  BUT....how are a non-moving, secured, isolated, and insulated conductors, going to short?  Perma-seal butt connectors better better than nuts?  ;)

6 minutes ago, cola said:

That was just the better way, not the only.  If you don't use them disconnect them. 

By dead ending the run with nuts in the wall?  :)

9 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

By dead ending the run with nuts in the wall?  :)

no, by stopping the circuit inside the next uphill box.

But that said, I am pretty sure there is now a UL listed NEC approved in wall connector for romex. 

I saw this episode on Holmes vs. Holmes.....

These...........as stated, would look a lot better if you ever had a fire.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-A22899-000/202204326

and for what is worth, I have 2 areas in my ceiling with wire nuts due to my complex electrical skills in remodeling so I am the pot calling the kettle black.

2 hours ago, spize909 said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-A22899-000/202204326

and for what is worth, I have 2 areas in my ceiling with wire nuts due to my complex electrical skills in remodeling so I am the pot calling the kettle black.

Now you know how you can go fix them. :lol: DON~~~ 

5 hours ago, spize909 said:

Well, shit.  If I'd would have known about those, I would've used them in the first place.  It's super tight on the wall side junction.